Introduction .. New Member: Any 50+ yrs young ladies wanting to lose 50+ pounds ...

Options
Hey everyone! Just wondering if there are any 50+ ladies out there who are just starting their weight loss who wants to enhance their support network- anyone to keep each other accountable with our fitness and diet? I have started this journey a few weeks before Christmas so I could launch into the new year full steam ahead .. and have been making great progress so far but it is always great to bounce ideas off of friends, keeping each other accountable, sharing our non-scale victories, etc. Have a great day ! Let me know if you want to connect. :p

Replies

• sousaa02
    sousaa02 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi!
  • sousaa02
    sousaa02 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m Amy and I have been logging in every day on MFP and wearing a FitBit for nearly 3 years. I’m 53, post-menopausal (hysterectomy), and have gradually lost 20 pounds. Not exactly setting the world on fire, but in the 2 years following my hysterectomy I gained about 50 pounds. So I stopped gaining, started losing. But that 50 was on top of the 50 I’d gained over the previous years. On my 40th birthday, I weighed 125. On my 50th, 208. That day, I signed up for this app, got my FitBit, got my hormones and thyroid in check, everything was going okay again. Seven weeks ago I had foot reconstruction surgery. I’ve basically been in bed for all that time! I could not stand on the scale (longest I have EVER not weighed). I comfort-ate like a maniac, holiday food, no less! HELP! I know I’ve gained at least 10 pounds from the way my clothes fit. One half of 3 years weight loss GONE in six weeks. I’m devastated. But I’m also stubborn! My goal is to stay in a calorie deficit and drink my 64 oz. of water a day. I am out of bed, on crutches, but cannot do a lot of movement. I was up to 6,000 steps a day, so I want to get back to that too, but it will take time. I am doing stretching and trying to stay limber. Thanks for listening, and welcoming me! —Amy
  • futurefitgirl3132
    Options
    Hi everyone, I’m 55 and retired Army. I want to get to 130 lbs,but it’s been almost impossible for me to lose weight. I’m at 165 now,I’m only 5’1. Any advice and support would be welcome. I’ll do the same for you. :)
  • ddsplace1
    ddsplace1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good morning, Amy.
    Thank you for starting this group. I turned 70 this past Nov. (yes, my selfie is recent. LOL). Like sousaao2, was I in the 130 range and gained 50lbs before being diagnosed with a thyroid condition about 15 yrs ago. Even being on Synthroid medication I kept gaining weight until I reached 220. I have struggled to lose 25lbs over the past 2 years but it has been very frustrating.
    I did an assessment of what I can improve on and have committed to the following:
    Drink more water; get more rest; and add more veggies to my meal plans.
    A friend of mind, whom has lost over 70lbs and has kept it off for over 5yrs, suggested that I ask myself, before eating anything, "is this going to be beneficial for my body or not?" if not, do not eat it. I very much appreciate the path this statement has put me on. I feel empowered and in control. We will see the results in the next few months.
    Keeping faith in what this group can accomplish as we assist and encourage one another. Have a safe and peace-filled day. Thank you.
  • AlisonDraxl
    AlisonDraxl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I am new to the MFP community. I am 55 and have been gaining weight for 3-4 years since entering menopause and it's been rather startling how much I have gained because I was always in shape and kept my weight at a healthy weight. I did slow down on my workouts due to arthritis but kept my eating the same and that was a big mistake because the weight piled on in a hurry. I have about 30 lbs to lose. I have tried everything that used to work for me in the past but no longer works . I have tried staying to 1200 calories - I recorded for one month but did not lose any weight. It was very disheartening.
    I am gonna to a naturopath next week to see about getting my hormones in balance as I think that may be part of the issue.
    I would welcome any helpful hints and tips from anyone who has been successful at losing weight after menopause!
  • stopthat35
    stopthat35 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am 50 with about 50 lbs to lose. I really need some motivation and help. Plus I am willing to give motivation & help. Please add me.