Under 1000 calories?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    (I personally think 0.75% is a better maximum number to aim for but 1% seems to be more commonly circulated).

well, I will chime in and say that while 1% or even slightly faster may be perfectly fine for a morbidly obese individual, a person closer to the normal range may benefit by not exceeding the 0.5% to 1% range

Possibly, but judging by my own experience, when I was around 300 pounds I had a maintenance of about 2500 calories, and I'm average height, a shorter woman may have even less. Losing 3 lbs a week would have meant going for a net of 1000 calories, and given how inactive I was back then, that would have been too low. I think the 1% is the average cut off to what would be considered a very low calorie diet, at least for women, but would still be lower than what is recommended.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,665 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    (I personally think 0.75% is a better maximum number to aim for but 1% seems to be more commonly circulated).

well, I will chime in and say that while 1% or even slightly faster may be perfectly fine for a morbidly obese individual, a person closer to the normal range may benefit by not exceeding the 0.5% to 1% range

Possibly, but judging by my own experience, when I was around 300 pounds I had a maintenance of about 2500 calories, and I'm average height, a shorter woman may have even less. Losing 3 lbs a week would have meant going for a net of 1000 calories, and given how inactive I was back then, that would have been too low. I think the 1% is the average cut off to what would be considered a very low calorie diet, at least for women, but would still be lower than what is recommended.

Ahh, I guess in talking about maximum rates I forgot to mention the other part of the equation: .... and in any case deficits that do not exceed 20% of TDEE (up to 25% while obese).

So it is a double limit. Both the deficit target and the overall rate as a double check.

There you go. Problem solved :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Are you being serious?

I recently had to do a very short term VLCD before surgery. It came out at net 400 calories or 800 eaten.
    I couldn't get anywhere near a healthy amount of fat or protein.

Your body will be eating its own muscle if you continue to eat this way.

Look at your protein and fat goals and make sure you hit or exceed them.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Log more accurately and more honestly.

Why do you assume they're not logging correctly?

...but if you're only eating small amounts there's less chance of error in calorie counting than if you're eating a lot. If you're claiming 800 calories it would be difficult to be out by even 50%, not counting the exercise calories, and 1200 kcals would still be a low figure.

My original comment was intended to question why it was thought that the op might be mis counting, as if its somehow impossible to eat a small number of calories per day, when clearly it isnt.

Because if he truly was grossing 800 calories and then burning 750 calories through exercise, he would resemble the walking dead and would be absolutely ravenous, have no energy and just generally feel like *kitten*!

Op has no doubt only been eating like this for a very short amount of time, it will catch up with him soon in one way or another and then cue crash and burn :(
  • Jingsi84
    Jingsi84 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have read that is is common to not feel hungry while eating a very low calorie diet. This doesn’t mean it is healthy, however, and MFP will ban you if you promote it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    snowraven1 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm a 73yo woman, 157cms tall, and experiencing exactly the same problem. Right now it's probably not such an issue, but once I start dance training again (i.e. as from Sunday) and start doing cardio, etc at gym, it will! (And it's not that I'm logging incorrectly; I'm logging everything!)
    Can anyone suggest things that could be added to increase the calorie intake but not increase carbs, fat or protein?

If your appetite doesn't kick in when you up your activity, I'd check with a doctor.

Why do you not want to increase fat, carbs, or protein? If it's because you are at your numbers (grams), and your calorie goal is significantly higher, there's a problem with the entries used. If it's because you are at your numbers (percentages), remember that they ALWAYS add up to 100, and you should not look at percentages until the end of the day (I think never, personally, and would always go by grams, and probably not worry about anything but protein, the other two will take care of themselves).

I dislike the fact that MFP's red color makes it seem like exceeding any macros is bad -- it's not. So long as you aren't way undereating protein or fat, macros don't matter much for weight loss or maintenance (for muscle gain and specifically for muscle maintenance for women as we get older, I think protein can be very important, though).
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    And hopefully about 6-7 years old - because no teenage or adult male anywhere of any size is getting adequate nutrition and fuel from 800 calories per day.

I agree. I would be so tired and miserable with no energy to do anything. He has got to be hungry!
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    If OP is willing to increase calories but has been unable because he’s been eating only vlc foods there is a list around here somewhere of ides of foods to eat. That nice woman wearing the hat in her profile used to post it sometimes. Anyone know what/who I’m talking about? She often bumps useful threads... ugh. I’m drawing a blank.

@dianathegeek ?
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
  • dibbenandrew1325
    dibbenandrew1325 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hey guys sorry for late response I think I just need to eat more calories it isn't a logging issue and im about 6' 240lbs roughly but even when I feel full I havnt even got to half of my goal. yesterday I managed to log 1000 but today im on track for 1300 and have began running 2 miles a day

thank you for your help everyone!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Have you opened your diary?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Log more accurately and more honestly.

Why do you assume they're not logging correctly?

...but if you're only eating small amounts there's less chance of error in calorie counting than if you're eating a lot. If you're claiming 800 calories it would be difficult to be out by even 50%, not counting the exercise calories, and 1200 kcals would still be a low figure.

My original comment was intended to question why it was thought that the op might be mis counting, as if its somehow impossible to eat a small number of calories per day, when clearly it isnt.

Because OP is a grown man who said he was eating 800 calories and burning 750 calories. And his post made it sound like this is for more than one day. In a later post he now says he's 6' and 240 lbs. His body would need over 2000 cals just to exist, and he says he's giving it 50 calories and feels fine. Either those numbers are not correct or his body is epically malfunctioning. The more likely scenario is logging, though it is probably an issue of logging errors and adjusting to a new diet. When you hear hoof prints, assume a horse, not a zebra. Regardless, going over the basics of proper logging is never wasted effort, and I say that as someone who has probably looked at hundreds if not thousands of diaries over my years here. Logging errors can easily cause missing up to 500 calories a day. And I could believe he's eating more like 1300 cals while his body is adjusting to his new diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How are you burning the 600?

(And yes, opening the diary would be helpful.)

When did this difficulty eating even 1000 calories begin? Clearly you used to eat more, and having such a limited appetite you can't manage 1000 (or even 1300) for a man of your size who is exercise is NOT a good thing, if it went on more than a few days I'd say it's a medical issue or some kind of mental block/fear of food.
  • dibbenandrew1325
    Options
    yes I have also I have been eating much more protein as well
  • dibbenandrew1325
    Options
    I am now more close to 1300 my problem was eating foods that were to low in calorie intake!:) I had a slight issue with logging but it has been solved. thank you everyone!
  • dibbenandrew1325
    Options
    id rather not (personal reasons) but I have got it figured out thank you everyone