Thoughts on crossfit?

Options
Hey all.

A new friend invited me to check out her crossfit gym. She's crazy and competes and works out 2-3 hours a day.

I'm just looking to get my hour in.

I've mostly done HIIT, circuit training, cardio/aerobics, yoga, and pilates. I've barely begun in the strength and weight training department, but loving the lean look I'm getting.

What are crossfit dos and don'ts? What are some good moves to gauge my level? What might I encounter that I am familiar with?

Replies

• RangeBoss
    RangeBoss Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I agree with niner. I tried cross fit too early. Then paid for it with an injury.

That’s a great goal to work towards. Just make sure you have achieved the fitness level needed first.

Enjoy
  • RangeBoss
    RangeBoss Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I’d add, go observe a few sessions. That will give you a good idea of what to expect. Then you can assess if you are ready or not. If not, you will know what to work on. If you are, have fun.

Take care.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Your going to trigger folks by asking.

It’s a live wire discussion with people strongly for and against.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    A good CrossFit box with good coaches should be able to manage beginner lifters as well as those who are experinced making sure everyone is moving correctly. Me I LOVE CrossFit. Fully signed up member of the cult. I am a firm believer in anyone being able to do it and you can go and get good results in the hours group classes. For me CrossFit is about the community as well as the exercise. I have got a lot stronger and fitter and my mental game is also in a better place. Any good box will scale all workouts and make sure you and working within your limits, though they will push those limits and so they should to ensure progression. Also you should have a foundation course or a couple of ramp up sessions where you are taught all the lifts and standard movements. Go and see and try if you can. I say CrossFit can be done by everyone but it isn't for everyone.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    A good CrossFit box with good coaches should be able to manage beginner lifters as well as those who are experinced making sure everyone is moving correctly. Me I LOVE CrossFit. Fully signed up member of the cult. I am a firm believer in anyone being able to do it and you can go and get good results in the hours group classes. For me CrossFit is about the community as well as the exercise. I have got a lot stronger and fitter and my mental game is also in a better place. Any good box will scale all workouts and make sure you and working within your limits, though they will push those limits and so they should to ensure progression. Also you should have a foundation course or a couple of ramp up sessions where you are taught all the lifts and standard movements. Go and see and try if you can. I say CrossFit can be done by everyone but it isn't for everyone.

I agree with this. I love Crossfit...but, I also started with a background in lifting.
  • Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I've watched a couple of documentaries on crossfit and they are SUPER, super fit people! As Karen said a good crossfit gym should allocate for beginners and experienced a like, also remember not to push too hard your first month or so.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters on going ahead and giving it a try. It truly depends on the gym and coaches. I was doing a program before and had some experience with almost all lifts, but all beginners at my CrossFit gym are required to do 10 one on one sessions starting out. As mentioned by others, it's important that they have someone teaching and watching closely, and providing the proper scaled version for your ability level. Personally, I love CrossFit, both the community and the challenge of it. It's one of very few things that can have me up and at the gym by 5am in the morning.
  • cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Depending on the particular Crossfit gym, they might or might not have onboarding programs where they introduce you to the various lifts with proper form and technique (ESPECIALLY snatching). If the particular Crossfit gym you're looking at doesn't have this, you may want to seek out instruction elsewhere before starting Crossfit. If the instructors at the Crossfit gym are competent they will adjust the programming for you to make sure you learn to do the lifts properly before adding any significant weight.

With that in mind, here's a few things Crossfit will and will not do for you:

1. It WILL increase your aerobic capacity and endurance.

2. It WILL increase your explosiveness/make you quicker at a wide variety of movements.

3. It WILL work your entire body.

4. It WILL help you "tone up."

5. It WILL NOT make you a competition level weightlifter or endurance athlete. There's not enough of a focus on any one activity to make you truly great at any of them without extra work outside of Crossfit. Doing Crossfit improves your overall fitness in a variety of ways, but mostly it just makes you better at Crossfit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    CrossFit can be fun and make you excited to go to the gym every day. But it can also be pretty dumb and a disaster waiting to happen. Doing your homework and proceeding with care can avoid the latter.

I did CF years ago and tried a couple different boxes and this was pretty much my experience. The first box I tried was just a disaster waiting to happen...classes were too large for the number of coaches, everything was super high volume and pretty much nobody was keeping anything resembling good form for their movements and a couple of noobs ended up puking over in the corner of the gym due to working well beyond their current fitness levels and nobody stopping them.

The other box I tried was much better, but it ultimately wasn't my thing...I gave it a good go for a couple of months, but it just wasn't for me. My primary reason for trying it was that in high school I was a track and field sprinter and jumper and as part of my training I did quite a bit of Olympic lifting and wanted to get back into that. The particular box I went to did very little in the way of Olympic lifting in their standard WODs and what they did do was pretty much lighter weight and higher reps...they had a separate class that focused on Olympic lifting and other lifting on the weekends, but it was an additional fee on top of the already exorbitant fee to belong to the box and take the regular WOD classes 3x per week.

My fitness did improve measurably over those couple of months, but I always felt like things were just very random and I just really couldn't wrap my head around their being any real purpose other than to exercise for the sake of exercising and be really good at general exercising and a wide variety of movements. I suppose part of my issue could have been that growing up I was involved in a variety of athletics...mostly track and field as a sprinter and jumper, but I also did gymnastics, played football, wrestled, and was a swimmer for a couple seasons...I've always been more accustomed to my training being very purposeful in regards to what I was competing in.

My other issue was that I had to be their at a specific time which is true of any workout class...it was difficult because the early evening class was so close to quitting time at work that I would often barely make it in time with my commute and I always felt rushed and flustered when I got there...the alternative was a later evening class when I should really be at home with my wife and kids and having family time. It was also difficult and I had to miss classes when my schedule got wonky and I had to stay late at the office or something. Ultimately I needed/wanted for more flexibility...I like to go to the gym when I want to go to the gym and not be restricted to some specific hour block.

I certainly know people who love it, and the only way you're going to know is to try it. Personally, I just like to go into the gym and run my programs in the weight room when I want to and do a lot of endurance cycling.

• cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I did CF years ago and tried a couple different boxes and this was pretty much my experience. The first box I tried was just a disaster waiting to happen...classes were too large for the number of coaches, everything was super high volume and pretty much nobody was keeping anything resembling good form for their movements and a couple of noobs ended up puking over in the corner of the gym due to working well beyond their current fitness levels and nobody stopping them.

Yeah, this is why my #2 bit of advice to Crossfit newbies (after "keep the weight low") is to SLOW DOWN. There is no benefit to working so hard you puke.
    My fitness did improve measurably over those couple of months, but I always felt like things were just very random and I just really couldn't wrap my head around their being any real purpose other than to exercise for the sake of exercising and be really good at general exercising and a wide variety of movements.

A guy at my gym has a shirt that says "World's Okayest Exerciser" which I feel like captures Crossfit pretty perfectly.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options

A guy at my gym has a shirt that says "World's Okayest Exerciser" which I feel like captures Crossfit pretty perfectly.

Haha someone at my box also has this shirt.

I would agree with saying that crossfit alone is not going to make you great at any one thing. However, it does focus more on functional movement, so you would likely find that things in everyday life might be easier. For example, I have someone at my new box who was sharing her story with me, and she used to use running as her primary form of exercise. Even though she could run for miles, she feels much better now doing crossfit, because things like carrying her kids up the stairs don't make her tired anymore.

Also, there seem to be a lot of people at my gym that put in extra work outside of crossfit as well. I know many of them train for half marathons, and others enjoy training for obstacle course races.

Regardless, choose a form of exercise you love and stick with it! And always listen to your body and trust it to tell you when you're working too hard or when it's time for rest.
  • cwolfman13
    edited January 2018
    Options

I would agree with saying that crossfit alone is not going to make you great at any one thing. However, it does focus more on functional movement, so you would likely find that things in everyday life might be easier. For example, I have someone at my new box who was sharing her story with me, and she used to use running as her primary form of exercise. Even though she could run for miles, she feels much better now doing crossfit, because things like carrying her kids up the stairs don't make her tired anymore.

Also, there seem to be a lot of people at my gym that put in extra work outside of crossfit as well. I know many of them train for half marathons, and others enjoy training for obstacle course races.

Regardless, choose a form of exercise you love and stick with it! And always listen to your body and trust it to tell you when you're working too hard or when it's time for rest.

I agree with what you’re saying here but wanted to add-

I’ve wondered about this statement since that seems to be a major critique. Most people I know IRL and online are not looking to be sport specific in their training, but are looking to be healthy, physically fit (vague, I know), and to look good. Crossfit can do this.

Sport/art specific training is different and a good thing for many people. Lifting, dance, running, swimming. You want to be a top performer in those sports, you need to be dedicated to them.

But when I compare crossfit to other things people do to simply achieve health, fitness, pleasing aesthetics, I can make the same critiques. Lifting static weights only makes you better at picking up pieces of metal (or rubber) and putting them back down. An elliptical machine makes you better at a movement that doesn’t exist in the real world. Zumba makes you good at wiggling.

Crossfit is broad. So is life. It seems like a good thing.

I feel weird defending it like this because I’m not really a zealot and there are things I don’t like about it, but there it is.

I agree with you on things like zumba or the elliptical or most classes or boot camps, etc...basically exercise for the sake of exercise (and nothing wrong with that)...but lifting weights has a lot of practical translations to everyday life...I recently moved and had to do a lot of dead lifting of boxes and furniture...and in regards to sport specific training, I've done a lot of that and it always includes weight lifting because it makes you better at your sport. When I was a track and field sprinter and jumper, we did a lot of Olympic lifting because it helps develop strength and explosiveness. Lifting for sport specific training also helps to stave off injury.

I primarily cycle these days and like to do a few events every year...while I'm certainly not an elite level cyclist, I do like to do the best I can...much of my lifting is geared towards being better on the bike..more power in my legs, turning the pedals over faster, etc. It's also beneficial cross training.
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that CrossFit is excellent to work into your routine. I balance my daily routine with cardio, traditional lifting, and CrossFit exercises.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    My personal opinion is that a beginner lifter shouldn't start with crossfit. There's a lot of BASIC exercise that needs to be learned and experienced first before attempting to do exercises that are a bit more advanced and require good balance and strength.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I second @ninerbuff on that one. CrossFit is a fine modality of exercise if it's working towards your goals. However, as being new to training a proper assessment from a good trainer would be my recommendation. Perhaps you're ready to jump right in and do it, but my thoughts would be to start with a trainer and work with them for 8 to 12 weeks. Just make sure the trainer knows your goal is to start CrossFit.
  • cwolfman13
    edited January 2018
    Options

I agree with what you’re saying here but wanted to add-

I’ve wondered about this statement since that seems to be a major critique. Most people I know IRL and online are not looking to be sport specific in their training, but are looking to be healthy, physically fit (vague, I know), and to look good. Crossfit can do this.

Sport/art specific training is different and a good thing for many people. Lifting, dance, running, swimming. You want to be a top performer in those sports, you need to be dedicated to them.

But when I compare crossfit to other things people do to simply achieve health, fitness, pleasing aesthetics, I can make the same critiques. Lifting static weights only makes you better at picking up pieces of metal (or rubber) and putting them back down. An elliptical machine makes you better at a movement that doesn’t exist in the real world. Zumba makes you good at wiggling.

Crossfit is broad. So is life. It seems like a good thing.

I feel weird defending it like this because I’m not really a zealot and there are things I don’t like about it, but there it is.

I agree with you on things like zumba or the elliptical or most classes or boot camps, etc...basically exercise for the sake of exercise...but lifting weights has a lot of practical translations to everyday life...I recently moved and had to do a lot of dead lifting of boxes and furniture...and in regards to sport specific training, I've done a lot of that and it always includes weight lifting because it makes you better at your sport. When I was a track and field sprinter and jumper, we did a lot of Olympic lifting because it helps develop strength and explosiveness. Lifting for sport specific training also helps to stave off injury.

I primarily cycle these days and like to do a few events every year...while I'm certainly not an elite level cyclist, I do like to do the best I can...much of my lifting is geared towards being better on the bike..more power in my legs, turning the pedals over faster, etc...

OK, I can see that.

ETA: to be clear, I don't have a problem with exercise for its own sake. I think it can be beneficial.

Yes, moving more is always beneficial...

I think a lot of people who critique thing like CF and other stuff for being random and whatnot are probably like me and have more of a background in sport specific training...one of the reasons I struggled early on was that much of my exercise was for the sake of exercise because I knew I needed to do it for my health...but I really had to will myself to do it because I was not accustomed to just randomly training...cycling saved me because I was at the point of just not wanting to do anything anymore because I was bored with it all...having events and the like to look forward to keeps me focused.