Options
2»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    In what ways is venison healthier?

Naturally fed, not pumped full of hormones and antibiotics, less saturated fat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    We eat much more venison than beef. I prefer the taste of venison and since we already own the land on which to hunt, guns and bows with which to hunt, and do our own processing, it's much cheaper (basically just the cost of ammo and vacuum sealer bags).

I rarely cook from a recipe but I basically use it the same dishes in which I would use any other red meat.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I've been craving venison since I hit a deer with my car last weekend... I've only ever had venison in a stew or jerky.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Take just about any recipe and use venison instead. I have found that for people who don't like the gamey flavor if you soak the venison in milk for 2-4 hours before cooking it the milk will strip out some of the blood. The blood is what causes the flavor in the meat. Another reason to hang your meat as long as you can before butchering it. I like to hang the meat for about a week on the bone at 45 degrees then debone and let it sit at 45 degrees for another week before I butcher it. Allows for the majority of the blood to leave drain and really makes it tender.

Another alternative I would suggest if you don't hunt for leaner red meat is goat or sheep meat. We raise and butcher our own goats and sheep we no longer eat beef. My entire family and anyone I have ever had taste our meat prefers it to beef. If you have a local farmer or butcher that has access to either Boer or Kiko goats or meat sheep not hair sheep try it and I guarantee you will love it.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I love venison and my hubby makes chilli version and I do a low fat stroganoff. We have a sous vide machine so coat the venison with dried paprika and black pepper or jerk spices and sous vide for at least 1.5 hours. Make the sauce separately and then put together with some mashed potatoes after getting back from a kong day at work. It is so low fat I can add a little butter to my potatoes. I also make thai red curry with it and serve with rice noodles. Delicious!
  • HotMermaid729
    HotMermaid729 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Omg....I love this thread. I wish I loved venison. I just don't care for the taste and of course that's because I have had it cooked "all wrong", blah, blah, blah....I really don't like it, but I wish I did.

You guys are awesome with your REAL meat! I love it.
  • jasondwightpowell
    jasondwightpowell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Summer favorite of ours:

Ground venison
    Tomatoes
    Red onion
    Feta cheese
    Basil
    Low fat Greek dressing
    Pita bread or tortillas or rice

Brown the venison with whatever type of seasonings you wish, place in refrigerator and let cool.
    Dice the tomatoes and red onion
    After cooled add all ingredients into a large bowl and mix
    Serve inside pita or make burrito's or over rice