On step forwards, several steps back

Options
I'm always ill. I had a virus at Christmas for 4 weeks and now I have a cold. 5 months ago I had my gallbladder removed, for 10 years I had Post Viral Fatigue.

I love going to the gym after the 10 years of being sofa bound but I feel like I'm on a yo-yo.

I weight train and go when I can but my appetite is up and down. I can lift for a few weeks at a time then I stop going because I feel poorly.

My weight is at 113 pounds, 5 foot 3 female.

Not sure if I should keep going but I think it's like a waste of gym membership.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Honestly until you are fully recovered I would either drop my food and weights to a maintenance level and do either 1 set less or drop reps per set.
    Or
    If you really are not getting back up to full health, think about dropping the weights altogether and eating at maintenance for a month or more.

Keep pushing performance while your body is trying to recover doesn't usually go well.

Cheers, h.
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you are sick, it's tuff to assess anything, really.

There are alot of ups and downs. But, making the attempts at fitness will make you more healthy person.

Don't judge yourself harshly. You miss workouts, dont try to make them up. Just go on.
    I've kept a pretty extensive journal for the past 4 years since I took up running again. It's a great motivator for me to see how far I've come and how much I've over come. Meniscus tear surgery on one knee, diverticulitis, strained flexors. It's a battle but I'm still in it at 58 yo.

Hang in there. I sincerely think you'll get it.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    there aws a thread around here a year or two back that i used to see getting re-linked for a while, from a woman who also had health problems and could only lift 'intermittently'. basically as and when she could, as opposed to going consistently and following a progressive programme.

can't remember if she talked about improvements in how she felt or anything, partly because i was so impressed by her progress pics. she absolutely blew it out of the water, as far as that doctrinaire thing of 'you HAVE to lift three times a week and you HAVE to progress or you won't get anywhere'. i don't htink that woman had anywhere near the ability to keep that kind of schedule, and her pictures were wonderful.

it's alway worth going if you love doing it. don't forget that part either. please don't deprive yourself of something you love even if it is 'pointless' (which it isn't) as far as your look or your strength.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Wow, 3 replies! I didn't think anyone would. Thank you so much everyone, it's so hard to do what you love but keep being held back.

I'll re-read all of the above for inspiration when it gets tough.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it, then it's worth going when you can. I can be sporadic at times, due to life circumstances, illness or injury so I definitely don't make the lifting progress that most people here seem to do, but I just keep at. If I've been unable to lift for a while I just start back at lower weights. I gave up being discouraged over it and figure I'll just do what I can.
  • megjay18
    megjay18 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've always thought anything you can do is better than nothing! Could you perhaps find some stretching or yoga videos you can try doing at home? Then you won't feel like you're wasting a gym membership. Fitness Blender has a lot of great options (plus lifting and cardio too) for all levels of fitness.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    megjay18 wrote: »
    I've always thought anything you can do is better than nothing! Could you perhaps find some stretching or yoga videos you can try doing at home? Then you won't feel like you're wasting a gym membership. Fitness Blender has a lot of great options (plus lifting and cardio too) for all levels of fitness.

Ever since I gave up running for the winter (I'm afraid of ice) I've been using Fitness Blender too and quite enjoying it. I only started exercising this last year and never for very long periods of time - I'd run 10-15 minutes every other morning or so, and do maybe 20 minutes of body weight stuff 2-3 times a week. It's astonishing how much benefit you can get from just a small amount of exercise! It might not be enough to justify paying for a gym membership, but hopefully you can find something that you can do that feels better than 100% couch time.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    How's your nutrition? Changing something up there, having blood work done to make sure you aren't deficient anywhere might help. Doing a little I think is better than nothing. Don't push yourself too hard on the days you "do" to make up for the days you "don't". I would also like to suggest trying something like PiYo. I borrowed the set from the library when hubby wanted me to "slow down" with the exercise and gain a little weight. I really enjoyed it. It helps slow my mind and really helps you stretch and use your whole body as resistance. You still feel strong and get some cardio, without stressing your body too much.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    How's your nutrition? Changing something up there, having blood work done to make sure you aren't deficient anywhere might help. Doing a little I think is better than nothing. Don't push yourself too hard on the days you "do" to make up for the days you "don't". I would also like to suggest trying something like PiYo. I borrowed the set from the library when hubby wanted me to "slow down" with the exercise and gain a little weight. I really enjoyed it. It helps slow my mind and really helps you stretch and use your whole body as resistance. You still feel strong and get some cardio, without stressing your body too much.

Nutrition is on point even though I'm not training right now, still hitting my macros. Bloods are fine, I'm looking into maybe a diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disease.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Allow your body to recover, work out when you are well enough to do o so, I think that can prevent injuries. I agree with the notion that doing something is better than nothing, but listen to your body so you don't compromise your recovery from illness.