Can someone look at my diary please? Not losing

Options
Hi.
Yes, I've seen the flow chart. :D

53 years old, 5'3 144, 35% body fat as per the bod pod, BMR 1188 per the bod pod. Sedentary but running (training for a 1/2 marathon) 3 times per week, 1 long run, 2 short ones. Training with a trainer 2 times per week, boot camp at the gym 2 times per week. 4 weeks in, no changes yet.

Replies

• notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Can't see diary.
  • k8andchr1smom
    k8andchr1smom Posts: 72 Member
    Options
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    1. Are you measuring your solids with a food scale?
    2. How are you finding entries like "creamy sweet potato bacon chowder"? Did you use the recipe builder to create that recipe?
    3. Some days look to be incomplete. Is that the case?
  • goodbyemyfatness
    goodbyemyfatness Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Agreed with Alex too - I was gonna ask if you measure your food (at least to begin with so you know how big that portion size is). I just forgot to mention it in my response.
  • k8andchr1smom
    Options
    Hey! Well I'm no expert but I took a peek at your diary. Have you calculated what your suggested macros should be? In my opinion, it looks like you might be a little heavy on the carbs and light on the protein. The other thing is, are you sure you're putting in every little thing you eat? Like every nibble at dinner time while you're cooking, treats when you visit a business and hit the dish, etc? Surprisingly those things can add up really quickly. The other thing is, you can't depend on the scale. Like if your weight starts ballooning, ok, then the scale will tell you. But if you're starting a training regimen, you may be building muscle so your loss may not reflect on the scale. And the only true measure of body fat would be to visit a doctor. Home devices can get you in the ballpark, but they're not completely accurate.

Great job on the half marathon training! I'm a runner myself :) #runnersunite

Car macros are at 22% for the 4 weeks. All recipes are using the builder. I don't cook so I don't nibble. And the body fat was done in the bod pod so I trust that it is accurate.

• k8andchr1smom
    edited January 2018
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    1. Are you measuring your solids with a food scale?
    2. How are you finding entries like "creamy sweet potato bacon chowder"? Did you use the recipe builder to create that recipe?
    3. Some days look to be incomplete. Is that the case?

I use the builder for recipes. I use a scale for fat, protein and the occasional chips, cups for salads and fruit. The last incomplete day, aside from today is NYE and last Friday. Not sure what happened that day.
  • k8andchr1smom
    Options
    it doesnt look like youre weighing your food, which makes me question how accurate your recipe builder recipes may be.

I actually do, or I use the nutritional info on the package. For example when I buy almonds I measure out 1 oz portions into bags. Do I measure the tomato I eat every morning? No. Do I weigh the avocado? Yes.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    it doesnt look like youre weighing your food, which makes me question how accurate your recipe builder recipes may be.

I'd also add that some of your entries are probably not totally accurate. 75 grams of avocado is not 85 calories.

Get yourself a food scale, weigh all solids, including veg and fruit, measure all liquids.
  • k8andchr1smom
    Options

I'd also add that some of your entries are probably not totally accurate. 75 grams of avocado is not 85 calories.
    That is possible but how do I know which entries are accurate?

Get yourself a food scale, weigh all solids, including veg and fruit, measure all liquids.
    Again, I have one. I didn't think I ate enough vegetables to make a huge difference.

Thank you

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hey! Well I'm no expert but I took a peek at your diary. Have you calculated what your suggested macros should be? In my opinion, it looks like you might be a little heavy on the carbs and light on the protein. The other thing is, are you sure you're putting in every little thing you eat? Like every nibble at dinner time while you're cooking, treats when you visit a business and hit the dish, etc? Surprisingly those things can add up really quickly. The other thing is, you can't depend on the scale. Like if your weight starts ballooning, ok, then the scale will tell you. But if you're starting a training regimen, you may be building muscle so your loss may not reflect on the scale. And the only true measure of body fat would be to visit a doctor. Home devices can get you in the ballpark, but they're not completely accurate.

Car macros are at 22% for the 4 weeks. All recipes are using the builder. I don't cook so I don't nibble. And the body fat was done in the bod pod so I trust that it is accurate.

Your carbs are not set at 22%. Not that it matters, I lost most of my weight on moderate carbs. (50/30/20)

It doesn't look like you are completing your Food page? Or are you purposely leaving 500-700 calories uneaten every day? You need to be eating those calories "earned" by your exercise. That is the way this site is designed to be used. You want 0 at the bottom of your food page. (Zero - not 600 or whatever you are leaving..eat!!)

Here: read these (the second one is a short video)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1

• k8andchr1smom
    Options

Your carbs are not set at 22%.
    no, the setting is at 50% I keep mine at about 25% as per the nutrition pie chart

It doesn't look like you are completing your Food page? Or are you purposely leaving 500-700 calories uneaten every day? You need to be eating those calories "earned" by your exercise. That is the way this site is designed to be used.
    No, I don't eat back my exercise calories. I have heard that the fitbit is very inaccurate and way over estimates what you burn. I'm not sure I could eat 600 more calories a day without eating junk food.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

no, the setting is at 50% I keep mine at about 25% as per the nutrition pie chart

It doesn't look like you are completing your Food page? Or are you purposely leaving 500-700 calories uneaten every day? You need to be eating those calories "earned" by your exercise. That is the way this site is designed to be used.
    No, I don't eat back my exercise calories. I have heard that the fitbit is very inaccurate and way over estimates what you burn. I'm not sure I could eat 600 more calories a day without eating junk food.

Fine. You asked what was wrong. We're telling you.

You're free to do whatever you want, have at it.

(edit, I bolded your answers since you messed up the quotes)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    No food is junk, it's just food.

• k8andchr1smom
    Options

Fine. You asked what was wrong. We're telling you.

You're free to do whatever you want, have at it.

(edit, I bolded your answers since you messed up the quotes)

Thank you. I didn't realize the quote thing was messed up/

I'm just confused as to how I'm eating too many carbs when my carb macro on MFP is 22%, and how I'm supposed to know if an entry is wrong.