When to weigh?

Options
Starting out on a diet and fitness plan for 2018. New year, new me and all that.
I’ve been logging everything and going to the gym frequently. I’m even doing ‘dry January’!

How often do you weigh yourself and how long was it before you started to notice a difference?
Any tips are greatly appreciated

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i typically weigh once a week, usually on friday morning
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    When I’m focused I weigh every day. As long as you’re not affected by day-to-day fluctuations it’s fine to do so. What’s more important is that you’re weighing yourself in a consistent setting (same time, generally first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and before eating, wearing the same amount of clothes).
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I was doing just once a week but then Christmas holidays came and I wanted a before weight and after weight to see just how fast S--t can go down. So then I added in a second day a week. So twice a week. (I could not stop. Oooops)
  • The_Ta
    The_Ta Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I weigh Sunday morning when I first get up but after I’ve gone to the bathroom. Saturday is my rest day, and I make sure to drink plenty of water to reduce water retention. Same scale.

You are gong to see some weeks where the scale says you lost your goal (or more), and some weeks you are basically even or up just a bit. Give yourself at least 3 weeks of honest logging before you reassess your plan. Your weight went on slow, so it must come off slow. If you need to reassess, there’s a flow chart around here that will help you figure out where you might be going wrong.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I weigh twice a week. Let's say Wednesday and Saturday.
  • gcaracciolo2
    gcaracciolo2 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I personally weigh myself every day just before dinner. It's easier for me to remember to do it this time consistently.

With that said, whatever you choose, make sure it happens in the same frequency and same time-frame. It's all about consistency to accurately measure progress.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Once a week on saturday morning.
    Doing it all the time every day..twice a day can make you into an obsessive compulsive nutt ball!
    Once a week is plenty.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Usually once a week, on Sunday. Sometimes less often than that.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I weigh daily when I first wake up, but don't really suggest it unless you use some trend tracking weight app (trendweight, happyscale, something like that).
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Every morning after I go to the bathroom. I don't use a trending app, but at this point learned what my normal fluctuations are so I don't freak out over a couple pounds up.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    every day. either up or down is motivating
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, usually 2-3 times a day. Whenever I'm in the bathroom really. @Poisonedpawn78 totally agree.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily first thing in the morning and track in Trendweight. I start seeing lower numbers on the scale within a few days, and after about a week in Trendweight.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, nude first thing in the morning after using the restroom. I log my daily weight in Happy Scale, and new lows in MFP.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Every morning, naked, after the bathroom. I use sundays as my official weigh in day to record, mostly it has to be the same low weight for three days consistently for it to count to me. I have been back on track 100% since November 20 and am down 9 pounds since then, 79 total so far. 7-10 lbs. to go. Weighing every morning encourages me. Up or down it's motivation to keep going.
  • grumpopuppo
    grumpopuppo Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Once or twice a week. I've been discouraged by nutritionists and doctors to weigh daily and I follow that advice...except for the part where they told me to throw out my scale.