Just 5 at a time

Options
I need to lose at least 100 lbs. Honestly though, I'd be thrilled to lose even just 50. The number 100 seems impossible. 50 seems impossible. I step on the scale this morning, and after a week of eating 1300 calories a day and cardio for 45 minutes a day, there is no weight change. That's very depressing. So, I decided to try to just lose 5 lbs. And after that, I will try to lose another 5. And then again. Because I know in my head, the number 100 or even 50 just makes me want to give up. But, 5? I can do 5.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    are you weighing your food?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you are actually eating 1300 you will lose weight.

How long have you been logging your food?
  • starsstella33
    starsstella33 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food, but I'm following the Clean Diet book, all healthy eating, low carb/higher protein, little sugar. It's what I did last time and actually lost over 50. It's challenging and even though no weight loss I do feel better. I think my body is clinging to the fat we both love so much! Lol
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Don't worry, you can lose all the excess fat you want, your body does not cling to the fat, you're just not in a calorie deficit, or you haven't been in a calorie deficit long enough to see the fat loss through water weight fluctuations.

Other than that (a consistent calorie deficit and time), you don't have to eat in a certain way, or even exercise, to lose weight.

But weighing and logging your food intake, provided you do it correctly, and hitting your calorie target every day, provided you've set it correctly, is a guarantee to lose weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food, but I'm following the Clean Diet book, all healthy eating, low carb/higher protein, little sugar. It's what I did last time and actually lost over 50. It's challenging and even though no weight loss I do feel better. I think my body is clinging to the fat we both love so much! Lol

so what makes you think you're eating 1300 cals?

you're right, you don't have to measure your food to lose weight, but a lot of people find it the easiest way to do it.

if you're not losing weight it could be water retention from exercising every day, if thats new in your routine, but its more likely that you're eating more than you think.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options

Okay, well if you think your food plan is spot-on, then just be patient. Weight loss happens in fits and starts and there are lots of reasons why you would have weeks when there is no loss.

I lost a lot of weight, there were weeks when I lost nothing and weeks I lost four pounds. Stay the course. 5 at a time is much more manageable than 50. . .I guess.
  • starsstella33
    Options
    I have faithfully logged all of my food starting last Friday.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    If you just started exercising, that can also mask weight loss because you can retain water. Checking accuracy of logging and measuring (weighing) is also one of the first places to start.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    First, I love your plan of losing five pounds at a time. There used to be a very active MFP user who had lost over 100 pounds. He would say that he didn't lose 100 pounds, he lost one pound, 100 times.

Second, give things more time. You need to give your current plan 4-6 weeks to really evaluate how well it's working. Be patient and be consistent.

Third, as people above have noted, HOW you're measuring your intake is the most important thing you can focus on. A food scale is the most accurate, measuring cups and spoons are next, then eyeballing, then not measuring at all. You can absolutely lose weight without using a food scale, but because the other methods are less accurate, you also have less predictability -- you're going to be less certain about whether or not you're hitting your target. There's more "experiment and see how you react" when you use a method that is less exact.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I'm similar to you but I do it in 10s. I am around 155ish now and looking to lose that first 5 to get to 150 and then I will be looking at 140, 130, etc. That makes it easier for me. Whatever works IMO! :)
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I always gain when I start a new diet/routine. After the first week or so, the scale will start going down. Don't get discouraged, keep going!

Clean eating is awesome. Some people get out of a plateau by carb cycling, others by changing their macros (protein vs carbs vs fat), or getting more specific with measurements.

I don't like the inconvenience of measuring all of my foods, so I allow myself all the green veggies I can stand, plus a protein at every meal, and a good helping of fats (fat is your friend- it keeps you sated. My favorite is avocado). I eat 1-2 cups of low-glycemic fruits and maybe 1-2 servings of starchy veggies (mmmm roasted yams) per day as well. 1 Cheat meal per week, if it fits into my calorie goals for the day. Tea helps me with my sugar cravings, and 1 square of chocolate (my favorite vice) is enough for me. This works for me, and you have to figure out what works for you!

Remember that the number on the scale is more about historical movement (did it go up or down in a month's time?) than it is about the actual number, which varies from scale to scale.

Also track your measurements. MFP has that feature in Check In. Let it all count together!

You're 5lbs away from your next goal, gogogo!!!
  • starsstella33
    Options
    33Freya wrote: »
    I always gain when I start a new diet/routine. After the first week or so, the scale will start going down. Don't get discouraged, keep going!

Clean eating is awesome. Some people get out of a plateau by carb cycling, others by changing their macros (protein vs carbs vs fat), or getting more specific with measurements.

I don't like the inconvenience of measuring all of my foods, so I allow myself all the green veggies I can stand, plus a protein at every meal, and a good helping of fats (fat is your friend- it keeps you sated. My favorite is avocado). I eat 1-2 cups of low-glycemic fruits and maybe 1-2 servings of starchy veggies (mmmm roasted yams) per day as well. 1 Cheat meal per week, if it fits into my calorie goals for the day. Tea helps me with my sugar cravings, and 1 square of chocolate (my favorite vice) is enough for me. This works for me, and you have to figure out what works for you!

Remember that the number on the scale is more about historical movement (did it go up or down in a month's time?) than it is about the actual number, which varies from scale to scale.

Also track your measurements. MFP has that feature in Check In. Let it all count together!

You're 5lbs away from your next goal, gogogo!!!

Thank you! I will keep your words in mind!
  • starsstella33
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    I'm similar to you but I do it in 10s. I am around 155ish now and looking to lose that first 5 to get to 150 and then I will be looking at 140, 130, etc. That makes it easier for me. Whatever works IMO! :)

Thanks!
  • starsstella33
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    First, I love your plan of losing five pounds at a time. There used to be a very active MFP user who had lost over 100 pounds. He would say that he didn't lose 100 pounds, he lost one pound, 100 times.

Second, give things more time. You need to give your current plan 4-6 weeks to really evaluate how well it's working. Be patient and be consistent.

Third, as people above have noted, HOW you're measuring your intake is the most important thing you can focus on. A food scale is the most accurate, measuring cups and spoons are next, then eyeballing, then not measuring at all. You can absolutely lose weight without using a food scale, but because the other methods are less accurate, you also have less predictability -- you're going to be less certain about whether or not you're hitting your target. There's more "experiment and see how you react" when you use a method that is less exact.

I love that, losing 1 lb a hundred times!
  • Cyclone2011
    Cyclone2011 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I also have 100 to lose and am eating around 1600-1700 calories. I went from barely drinking water to drinking 100oz and from not working out to getting at least 30 minutes a day. The first week I actually gained weight which terrified me, but pushed through and week two I’m down four pounds from my starting weight. Give your body some time to adjust, make sure you’re getting enough calories (starting at 1300 seems too little for someone just starting needing a big weight loss), and make sure whatever plan you follow to maintainable.
  • starsstella33
    Options
    I also have 100 to lose and am eating around 1600-1700 calories. I went from barely drinking water to drinking 100oz and from not working out to getting at least 30 minutes a day. The first week I actually gained weight which terrified me, but pushed through and week two I’m down four pounds from my starting weight. Give your body some time to adjust, make sure you’re getting enough calories (starting at 1300 seems too little for someone just starting needing a big weight loss), and make sure whatever plan you follow to maintainable.

I did set it a little lower in case for some reason something isn't calculated right- to give me a little leeway. So far I haven't felt too hungry, but I am worried about tomorrow, since I am off work.