So i have a lying, cheating fitbit!

I realized this morning after getting up that i forgot to put my fitbit onlast night. No biggie, right? Except when i checked the data for last night's sleep, expecting a flatline of some kind, what do i see? If you haven't guessed yet, it showed me how much time i spent in rem, light and deep sleep! What a nerve this gadget has! Lol. So on a more serious note, this sleep data i was really interested in, kind of doesn't look as trustworthy as before, does it? I mean, it spent the night on the bathroom counter, for goodness sake! Thoughts?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    That is odd. I have a Fitbit HR and never wear it to bed. It never shows any data unless I fall asleep on the couch with it on.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I rarely sleep without my Fitbit, but when I do it doesn't report any sleep data for the evening.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Yeah that is weird. I don't track my sleep anymore, but when I did it would only give me info when I wore it to bed. I assumed it required occasional small movements at least to confirm it was on a person, so when it stayed motionless for a few hours on the dresser it knew it wasn't tracking anything. This was a Fitbit without an HRM, I'm not sure if the HRM versions track sleep differently. It still sometimes gives me sleep data when I fall asleep on the couch though!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    It's a charge 2, so has hrm. No cat could be blamed, it was exactly where i left it. Strange, i agree. I usually wear it to bed, so last night's data weren't exact copy, but it's completely made up .
  • icemom011
    I mean, if it can't detect any pulse for 7 hours, it's assuming I'm sleeping well? Hmm
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    icemom011 wrote: »
    I mean, if it can't detect any pulse for 7 hours, it's assuming I'm sleeping well? Hmm

You must be a VERY sound sleeper LOL! :huh:
  • icemom011
    kimny72 wrote: »
    icemom011 wrote: »

You must be a VERY sound sleeper LOL! :huh:

Yeah, but only gave me 18 minutes of deep sleep? Inconsistent much?
  • astronaught
    astronaught Posts: 103 Member
    Maybe you should contact fitbit. I've had both the charge 2 and the ionic and neither will show sleep information if I didn't wear it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Maybe you're looking at the wrong days data ?
  • icemom011
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Maybe you're looking at the wrong days data ?
    No, i actually went back and double checked, thought same thing, maybe i was looking at the wrong day.
    Roadie2000 wrote: »
    Well, at least your bathroom counter should be well rested today.
    Hehe, it didn't act any different, so idk
    Maybe you should contact fitbit. I've had both the charge 2 and the ionic and neither will show sleep information if I didn't wear it.
    I will, thank you. It's a good idea.
  • Stew501
    Stew501 Posts: 65 Member
    I’ve had this happen one time in the 4 years I’ve owned a Fitbit. I just chalked it up as proof I really do have a guardian angel
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    I just got the Alta hr for Christmas and I think I'm gonna skip wearing it to bed anyways,it says I'm asleep when I'm not,kind of irritating when I think I got decent sleep but fitbit says otherwise too,not impressed with the sleep info on this model
  • caliallie2
    caliallie2 Posts: 19 Member
    edited January 2018
    I use My zone. Love it. Why do I need to track my day at work walking around etc. Thats,my baseline, it's nonsense to track it. I wear it for cardio and lifting, maybe if I hike and once in a,while in yoga for the hell of it. Its,to motivate my workouts. To see my heart rate during Hiit and to keep track of how many days,I lifted etc
  • icemom011
    caliallie2 wrote: »
    I use My zone. Love it. Why do I need to track my day at work walking around etc. Thats,my baseline, it's nonsense to track it. I wear it for cardio and lifting, maybe if I hike and once in a,while in yoga for the hell of it. Its,to motivate my workouts. To see my heart rate during Hiit and to keep track of how many days,I lifted etc

Yes, it makes sense. Maybe i will only wear it on days that i cycle to work and when I exercise to track heart rate. I've missed my watch, fitbits' screen doesn't always come on when i just want to see what time is it, and i find it annoying
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,218 Member
    Another reason my fitbit spends not only the night on the counter but the day too.
  • monica182
    monica182 Posts: 60 Member
    I have a lying cheating Fitbit as well... this is what my settings look like to set my deficit. Am I going crazy or is this wrong? I have emailed Fitbit twice about it and they keep fobbing me off saying it uses the information I entered to select my goal. But I can't lose 2kgs a week with a 1000 cal daily deficit no matter what my stats are surely?!
    y1zb5envd6p5.png
  • icemom011
    monica182 wrote: »
    I have a lying cheating Fitbit as well... this is what my settings look like to set my deficit. Am I going crazy or is this wrong? I have emailed Fitbit twice about it and they keep fobbing me off saying it uses the information I entered to select my goal. But I can't lose 2kgs a week with a 1000 cal daily deficit no matter what my stats are surely?!
    y1zb5envd6p5.png

Hmm, I would say it's not advisable to set such high deficit as 1000cal a day. I guess, depends on your stats. You can lose 4 lbs a week though, it's hard and very restrictive and therefore not likely to be sustainable, but doable. I don't think it's a Fitbits' flaw.