Weighed myself this morning and was 4 pounds heavier....

Options
2»

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my weight has a 5 pound range it fluctuates within at any given time.

dont sweat it.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    The line on my weight loss graph was like silly string. Stick with it, overall it comes down if you keep doing the right thing. Everybody's body seems to have a pattern for losing that isn't just a straight angled line. Mine goes same same up a bit down a bit :smile:
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Weight is not fat. Don't worry about it. Just keep eating the right numbers and look over a longer period of time at the general trend in weight.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Why are you running everyday? That's generally not recommended except for highly trained athletes. It's an invitation for injuries and burnout.
  • Angie_au
    Angie_au Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just stumbled upon this very relatable post. I just did a workout (involving weights and toning for my legs) 2 days ago where I didn’t warm up properly and my leg muscles have been quite sore. Coincidently my weight has increased in these past 2 days even though I’ve been eating within my calorie limit. This made me feel quite down and depressed, does sore muscles make u retain water weight? (Considering I weigh myself everyday at the same time, first thing in the morning after today toilet and am not due for my period)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2018
    Options
    wleverett1 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies everyone!!! Yes, I am keeping to low calories AND low carbs. Im also eating my main carbs in the morning, less at lunch time, and little to none (like a grilled chicken salad) at dinner time...
    Idk about the period thing bc Im on the nexplanon and havent had a period in over a year...
    Yes, my muscles ARE sore, so maybe it is water weight! If so, what can I do about that?

Can you define how long you mean by low carbs and carbs? Because if you are active and overly cutting calories, it may increase water retention (since a calorie deficit is a form of stress). So it may need to be assessed to increased calories a bit.

Also, can you add more information on your running and weight lifting routines?

ps - I maintain a 2 to 3lb increase due to weight training
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    The line on my weight loss graph was like silly string. Stick with it, overall it comes down if you keep doing the right thing. Everybody's body seems to have a pattern for losing that isn't just a straight angled line. Mine goes same same up a bit down a bit :smile:

Great mental picture! And so true. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,188 Member
    Options
    Angie_au wrote: »
    Hi, I just stumbled upon this very relatable post. I just did a workout (involving weights and toning for my legs) 2 days ago where I didn’t warm up properly and my leg muscles have been quite sore. Coincidently my weight has increased in these past 2 days even though I’ve been eating within my calorie limit. This made me feel quite down and depressed, does sore muscles make u retain water weight? (Considering I weigh myself everyday at the same time, first thing in the morning after today toilet and am not due for my period)

Yes. Muscle repair can result in water weight retention.

So can injury, illness, inflammation, eating extra carbs or sodium (doesn't have to be excessive carbs or sodium, just more than usual), menstrual cycle hormonal fluctuations, stress of various types, and other things I'm forgetting.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    That's within what is considered normal daily fluctuations. Fluctuations happen for all kinds of reasons. If it bothers you, switch to weighing once a week instead of every day.
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I gain water weight whenever I take ibuprofen. Even just one dose. So don't sweat the daily fluctuations.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    wleverett1 wrote: »
    Yes, my muscles ARE sore, so maybe it is water weight! If so, what can I do about that?

Your blood volume has likely also increased with some more water because of the workouts, so more weight there.
    Wait until summer comes.

I sure hope you don't think that blood letting is a solution to that improvement the body naturally wants to make because of the workouts you are doing.

That mere comment about water weight usually means people are too fixated on a number, which likely no one sees but you, rather than overall improvements and the actual desire of lost body fat.

You'll have some very stressful days ahead on your weight loss if that is the case.

And guess what else causes retained water?

Stressed induced elevated cortisol.