Advice or Telling Off required!

Options
Hi all,
I started last week and at the same time started walking to and and from work and also doing HIIT Training 3 times a week. My first weigh in I’ve gained 3lbs. I understand the concept of calories in/out, deficits etc and eating back cals etc and even posted on another forum to check I understood it properly (apparently I do). So I should also accept that my first weigh in with a 3lb Gain HAS to be due to microtear fluid retention from exercising etc but STILL it got me down and now I’ve eaten crap for 2 days! Why do we do it to ourselves? I think my problem must be that it’s not the obvious answer and I just be doing it wrong (wrong daily cal, cals burned aren’t right etc) and that this way isn’t working for me (yes after 1 week!). I only ate 50% of cals burnt back too as my heart rate is a little on the high side so my FitBit probably assumes a bigger burn than reality. So I get it.
I just need advice how to get passed this initial phase x

Replies

• thisisitnic
    thisisitnic Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    A lot of people gain a little water weight when they start a new exercise regime. Just know that so long as you're accurately logging your food (and eating at an appropriate deficit), you will lose weight.

The hardest part is the beginning before it's become a habit.

Thank you for saying that. It means a lot when someone takes the time to respond xx
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You gotta have faith in the process! You know intellectually what is happening, but your emotions haven't caught on yet. I understand where you're coming from, I did a heavy leg workout and some speed intervals and woke up the next day three pounds heavier. I've been doing this for a year and lost 113 lbs and I know from experience exactly what my deal is, and seeing that number on the scale go up is still discouraging. But if you hang in there, you will get results.

Your health will benefit from the exercise even though you ate over your calories for a couple of days. Get back on track, you can do this.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,485 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You’ve gotten some very good advice here. Keep reading this board and you will find that you are not alone. Agree that your short term problem is likely water. Can’t tell you how many times I let this derail me. Stay off the scale for a while.

Also agree that to succeed you need to trust the process. I have a friend who says we eventually get the weigh in we deserve but not necessarily when we expect it. A calorie deficit will result in weight loss over time. Again, keep reading this board and you will see most folks are wrecked by the time issue.

The process has a fairly long learning curve. Part of the learning curve is making moderate adjustments as needed. Not suggesting you change anything yet. But you will eventually have to modify something. Keep working.

Last- I’m resisting going off on my rant about calculators and gadgets. The calorie numbers are targets and estimates. Again there’s a learning curve. Calorie counting is an art. You need to become an expert on you and weight loss. Think in terms of weeks, not days to learn how your body reacts to your program. Trust the process. Good luck.
  • purfectlilly
    purfectlilly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My biggest advice to anyone is avoid the scale and listen to your clothes. You'll see the difference when they start to fit differently. It will make you feel so great when that changes and the numbers will mean less.
  • thisisitnic
    Options
    A lot of people gain a little water weight when they start a new exercise regime. Just know that so long as you're accurately logging your food (and eating at an appropriate deficit), you will lose weight.

The hardest part is the beginning before it's become a habit.

Thank you for saying that. It means a lot when someone takes the time to respond xx

You're super welcome. I also want to say that you just started your new diet and exercise program so regardless, you need to give it more time.

I will. Thank you xx
  • thisisitnic
    Options
    You gotta have faith in the process! You know intellectually what is happening, but your emotions haven't caught on yet. I understand where you're coming from, I did a heavy leg workout and some speed intervals and woke up the next day three pounds heavier. I've been doing this for a year and lost 113 lbs and I know from experience exactly what my deal is, and seeing that number on the scale go up is still discouraging. But if you hang in there, you will get results.

Your health will benefit from the exercise even though you ate over your calories for a couple of days. Get back on track, you can do this.

Thank you for the good advice and your kind words x
  • thisisitnic
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    You’ve gotten some very good advice here. Keep reading this board and you will find that you are not alone. Agree that your short term problem is likely water. Can’t tell you how many times I let this derail me. Stay off the scale for a while.

Also agree that to succeed you need to trust the process. I have a friend who says we eventually get the weigh in we deserve but not necessarily when we expect it. A calorie deficit will result in weight loss over time. Again, keep reading this board and you will see most folks are wrecked by the time issue.

The process has a fairly long learning curve. Part of the learning curve is making moderate adjustments as needed. Not suggesting you change anything yet. But you will eventually have to modify something. Keep working.

Last- I’m resisting going off on my rant about calculators and gadgets. The calorie numbers are targets and estimates. Again there’s a learning curve. Calorie counting is an art. You need to become an expert on you and weight loss. Think in terms of weeks, not days to learn how your body reacts to your program. Trust the process. Good luck.

Thank you. They are very wise words and a lot of help xx
  • thisisitnic
    Options
    My biggest advice to anyone is avoid the scale and listen to your clothes. You'll see the difference when they start to fit differently. It will make you feel so great when that changes and the numbers will mean less.

I’d love to avoid the scales but if I feel big I go to the scales in the hope that I’m imagining feeling 5 pounds heavier! Crazy I know x
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I started last week and at the same time started walking to and and from work and also doing HIIT Training 3 times a week. My first weigh in I’ve gained 3lbs. I understand the concept of calories in/out, deficits etc and eating back cals etc and even posted on another forum to check I understood it properly (apparently I do). So I should also accept that my first weigh in with a 3lb Gain HAS to be due to microtear fluid retention from exercising etc but STILL it got me down and now I’ve eaten crap for 2 days! Why do we do it to ourselves? I think my problem must be that it’s not the obvious answer and I just be doing it wrong (wrong daily cal, cals burned aren’t right etc) and that this way isn’t working for me (yes after 1 week!). I only ate 50% of cals burnt back too as my heart rate is a little on the high side so my FitBit probably assumes a bigger burn than reality. So I get it.

Being you seem to have a good grasp on all the factors, it seems like there is only one bit of advice you really need.

Patience is a virtue.

Given time the water weight fluctuations will slow or stop if you are consistent in your workouts. For some people using the weight trend apps in the Fitbit/Trendweight, Libra, or Happyscales helps them smooth out the spikes and better see the overall trend. If you already have a Fitbit account you could just link it to Trendweight.
  • thisisitnic
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Being you seem to have a good grasp on all the factors, it seems like there is only one bit of advice you really need.

Patience is a virtue.

Given time the water weight fluctuations will slow or stop if you are consistent in your workouts. For some people using the weight trend apps in the Fitbit/Trendweight, Libra, or Happyscales helps them smooth out the spikes and better see the overall trend. If you already have a Fitbit account you could just link it to Trendweight.

Thank you very much. I’ll take a look at trendweight x
  • Guineachick
    Guineachick Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with the water weight/micro tear theory. I also will binge eat (I mean if you want to call eating over your calories binge eating) when something like this happens to me. I get discouraged sometimes so easily and food does rule my emotional world. I recently tore my calf muscle and exercise was put on hold. My answer to that, as it was devastating to me, was to eat whatever cuz life sucks. I pulled it together in about a week, and started behaving again. I have a 4 week goal of logging my food everyday, and while I do weigh myself quite frequently, I decided I will not really take it seriously until I have hit that goal. Sometimes if I lose a pound or two then I can start misbehaving again so my 4 week logging goal is to keep me on track. This is a mental game to me for sure. I have no answers to that mental game except maybe set realistic mini goals among your big goal, and expect the unexpected.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Slow
    Steady
    Sustainable

You know you are doing things right sometimes they are slow to show progress but it will come.

I lost 32 pounds a couple of years ago using this app. Kept it off for a year but gained it back because I stopped using the process and fell back into old binging behaviours.

I am back to lose it all again and I know I can do it but waiting for that first real loss took 3 weeks of up and down. Now I am on a downward trend. (I can see it on my Libra app) that really helps to keep me motivated.

Use all the tools in your toolbox. Weight, measurements, fitness monitors, trend apps, but most of all be scrupulously honest and accurate with logging your calories and you will see the weight go down.

Patience and consistancy is key.

You got this.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    You’re at the beginning of a marathon- a lifelong one. This isn’t a sprint. Once you “finish” this race to lose weight, you’ll have to keep it off. Just take the months (years for me) needed to learn how this process of gaining and losing works. As you start to understand your body and food better, you’ll feel more comfortable with the ups and downs in weight that life will bring. The key is to stick with it, and when you derail, start over. I guess that’s a long way of saying what’s already been said- have patience.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Patience is a virtue.

This.

Most people didn't become overweight in three weeks and they should not expect to return to a healthy weight in three weeks. Trust the process.

• JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I'm sure other people may have mentioned this: but why not commit to not stepping on the scale for 4 weeks? Take some measurements, and give your body time. Also even when I wasn't sure I was losing weight I used the mantra 'Even if I lose no weight this exercise is good for my body and my heart'. Of course a month later when I did jump on the scale I had lost 5kgs
  • ThinGoldLineNS
    ThinGoldLineNS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    We tend to become slaves to the scale, berate ourselves when we see the numbers go up, become so disheartened that we quit. It's a trap we need to avoid. I agree with ^ JessiBelleW...stay off the scale and take your measurements instead. Muscle weighs more than fat so higher numbers don't always mean you're gaining weight, it means you're getting stronger!
  • tlsb2016
    tlsb2016 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You’ve gotten great advice here so I won’t repeat it. Instead, since the scale isn’t cooperating, I’ll applaud your NSVs: for the past 1-2 weeks, you made 2 major lifestyle changes and have stuck with them. You started walking to/from work. You started HIIT training. I applaud and celebrate you for this!!! As you think through the past weeks since you started, what non-scale changes have you noticed? Do you enjoy the workouts? Are you proud of yourself for pushing yourself to do things you haven’t done before? Do the walks help you clear your mind, deal with things at work better, notice things on the walk you haven’t before?

When the scale gives you disappointment, focus on the Non Scale Victories. There is also something to celebrate and it will help train your brain to look at weight differently.
  • sonarbabe
    sonarbabe Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have been EXACTLY where you are. When I started this journey a year ago, even the small increase in physical activity I did caused weight gain. My poor teenage son had the misfortune of trying to talk sense into me--and wrestle the bag of Oreos out of my hands. He explained I was doing everything right, I wasn't a failure and if I gave it one more month I would see it for myself. I didn't want to believe him, but you know what? He's a pretty smart kid. I stuck it out and I'm down 60 lbs with 15 more to go.

Hang in there. You got this and don't give up.
  • thisisitnic
    Options
    I'm sure other people may have mentioned this: but why not commit to not stepping on the scale for 4 weeks? Take some measurements, and give your body time. Also even when I wasn't sure I was losing weight I used the mantra 'Even if I lose no weight this exercise is good for my body and my heart'. Of course a month later when I did jump on the scale I had lost 5kgs

That sounds like a really good idea xx

• thisisitnic
    Options
    tlsb2016 wrote: »
    You’ve gotten great advice here so I won’t repeat it. Instead, since the scale isn’t cooperating, I’ll applaud your NSVs: for the past 1-2 weeks, you made 2 major lifestyle changes and have stuck with them. You started walking to/from work. You started HIIT training. I applaud and celebrate you for this!!! As you think through the past weeks since you started, what non-scale changes have you noticed? Do you enjoy the workouts? Are you proud of yourself for pushing yourself to do things you haven’t done before? Do the walks help you clear your mind, deal with things at work better, notice things on the walk you haven’t before?

When the scale gives you disappointment, focus on the Non Scale Victories. There is also something to celebrate and it will help train your brain to look at weight differently.

What wonderful words! Thank you ever so much xx