1370 calories a day is hard!

2»

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    mbminx wrote: »
    I'm scouring the internet for meal ideas under 300 calories. I feel better if I graze throughout the day, but the calorie count makes me feel like I can have meals OR snacks - not both. Heck, even a big mug of coffee with creamer in the morning can knock 100 calories right out of my day. Six triscuits and 2 tablespoons of hummus took another 200. So there's a quarter of my day's "supply" down the drain.

I'm trying to focus on protein and fiber, so that I can feel even a little full. Drinking water, as much as I can stand. More veggies. As much fruit as I want (compared to cookies, it's a good thing). And yet I still come to the end of the day with barely enough calories for dinner.

Can anyone suggest websites or recipies for filling, low-cal meals? Are there any other strategies for feeling well-fed while eating so little? Thank you.

1360/day before additional exercise is my MFP level for losing .5 lb a week. You're right, it's not a lot. Adding activity can make it easier because you then can eat more. But I have found that while I used to be a grazer, at this calorie level I need to eat differently in order to not feel constantly hungry. So I aim for 2-3 meals and a snack or two, and choose that my evening meal is the most calorie dense.

My first meal of the day (might be in the AM or shortly afternoon) is almost always greek yogurt mixed with low-fat cottage cheese and fresh fruit, and I drink my coffee black except for the last cup which gets 40 calories worth of whole fat milk. After that meal is done, I have 1,000 calories more or less for the rest of the day. Supper is usually 500-600 calories, leaving 400 or 500 calories for what comes in between. So, my strategy is to pre-plan two actual meals and then leave the rest for "grazing."

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    mbminx wrote: »
    I'm scouring the internet for meal ideas under 300 calories. I feel better if I graze throughout the day, but the calorie count makes me feel like I can have meals OR snacks - not both. Heck, even a big mug of coffee with creamer in the morning can knock 100 calories right out of my day. Six triscuits and 2 tablespoons of hummus took another 200. So there's a quarter of my day's "supply" down the drain.

I'm trying to focus on protein and fiber, so that I can feel even a little full. Drinking water, as much as I can stand. More veggies. As much fruit as I want (compared to cookies, it's a good thing). And yet I still come to the end of the day with barely enough calories for dinner.

Can anyone suggest websites or recipies for filling, low-cal meals? Are there any other strategies for feeling well-fed while eating so little? Thank you.

A little aside--did you do a few days or a week eating "normally" and logging on MFP? That way you could see how many calories you had been consuming before starting your weight loss plan. I found that really helpful. But if not, even writing a typical "before" day with the calorie counts could give you some insight.

I'm currently eating 1600 calories to lose 1 lb. per week. I have lost 35 lbs. with 65 left. I started at 2 lbs. per week eating about 1450 calories--I reset my goals every 5-10 lbs. and continued to lose. At 1200 calories per day, I changed the goals to 1 lb. per week so I could eat more--I could no do 1200 calories.

In that time I did learn that I had to cut out some high calorie items in order not to feel hungry. I do exercise, at least 60 minutes per day, so I could eat more.

For small meals, soups and salads, are good options. A small meal for me will also be a serving of pasta, with vegetables and 1 tsp. of olive oil.

For breakfast, bacon and eggs, surprisingly works, or oatmeal and an egg. Lean protein with vegetables can also be under 500 calories--chicken and fish are good for this.

Another option is to set your calories for 1470/1500 and give yourself more to eat--you will lose less per week but I've found that extra 100-150 calories does make a big difference.

• Luiza952
    Luiza952 Posts: 1 Member
    I set my goal as losing 250g (0,5lb) per week, so myfitnesspal gave me a 1250 calories daily threshold. It seems like so little! I've been able to do it this week (I started logging all my walks or I wouldn't have been), except for the macros with which I'm not beeing so nitpicky for now. But is this really right?
    Also, I go to the gym, but strength training counts for nothing towards your calorie goals, which just doesn't sound right. Thoughts?
  • Jofitt14
    Jofitt14 Posts: 7 Member
    I prelog my food at the beginning of the day, or sometimes the night before. I work out Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and then I know how much I have for snacks. Exercising means I either have a treat or I am under for the day.
    I also found that I was starving for the first week of MFP but as I adjusted I now find what I eat is enough....most days.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Luiza952 wrote: »
    I set my goal as losing 250g (0,5lb) per week, so myfitnesspal gave me a 1250 calories daily threshold. It seems like so little! I've been able to do it this week (I started logging all my walks or I wouldn't have been), except for the macros with which I'm not beeing so nitpicky for now. But is this really right?
    Also, I go to the gym, but strength training counts for nothing towards your calorie goals, which just doesn't sound right. Thoughts?

You need to start your own thread instead of hijacking this one. It's not fair to the OP of this thread to distract people from their questions (and it's against MFP policy).

Plus, you'll get more responses because your question will be seen by more people