Is it ok to be ok with an overweight number on the scale?

Options
2»

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    The bottom line, is if at the point where you're less than half the person you were before, you decide that you're healthy enough, and happy enough with how you look. Then you're further ahead of the game than someone your same height/weight, who has never been heavier.

• Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Bekah7482 wrote: »
    Ok for a little clarification. Losing 40 more pounds will put me at a ~8 pant size (total guess but right now I am in a size 12 at 240lbs) but still overweight. When I tell people that I only really want to get to a size 8-10 i get the reaction of why not keep going and be a size 2-4. Well maybe because I dont want to be a size 2-4. I am very active and have zero health problems. At my highest my only health issue was sleep apnea and that got resolved many pounds ago so I am in perfect health.

I keep getting this reaction that it's really not ok to stop losing weight when you are comfortable but that everyone's goal should be to be super skinny. I think a size 8 is pretty damn small and I dont think that I would want to be smaller then that. Maintaining a healthy diet and activity level is more important factor to maintaining my health.

Well I don't think most people who want to be truly healthy want to be "super skinny." That's not healthy either.

I'm totally confused by your sizes though. I weigh 240ish and am wearing sizes 20 - 22, sometimes even 24 depending on the brand - I can't squeeze into an 18 for the life of me - are you in the UK? Clothes sizing is so weird.

To your question - you have to be happy with you. You can't live your life by someone else's so-called standards. Medically however, it may be a different thing. That's something you and your physician will need to answer. :)

I'm US, I just have always been fortunate and carried my weight well. At my highest I was 398 and was wearing a tight 24 or a loose 26. I think that is another reason why my doctor is ok with me staying in the overweight range.
  • okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    No one (at least no one shallow) is going to judge you if you decided not to lose after you get to your goal weight and the most important thing is that you are okay and comfortable both mentally and physically with whatever weight you want to be at.

With that being said, speaking for myself, I plan on getting as close as possible to the lower part of the bmi only because I know my family's history: high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke, blood clots, etc.

I am also African-American which means I have higher chances for developing these things. So I have to keep in mind these things because I have already been in the pre-hypertension stage.

I am currently at 241. I started at 283, and I plan on getting between 118-128 because I am 5'3.5 or 5'4. Even though I will be in the normal range at 140, because of the unhealthy conditions I have (high blood pressure, headaches, pain in knees) and my family history, it's not a question that I need to be as low as possible on the bmi spectrum.

But that is just me and it could always change depending on how I feel and what my doctors tell me once I get to 140. My doctors have even told me 170 would be a fine weight to be at because I also carry my weight well for my height, but I personally don't think with my family history, its okay to be overweight (but again its just me).

If you don't have anything to worry about with family history or conditions and you continue to eat healthy and stay active then being slightly overweight won't really be a big deal (imo).

Like I said before, you have to be okay with it. No one else.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It seems like people think that because I have the momentum going that I should ride it out to get as skinny as possible but not everyone has that goal. I am in perfect health, my ability to do physical activities is not hindered (well maybe im not strong enough for a pull up yet) and I maintain a very healthy lifestyle now. I dont see a problem maintaining once i am in a comfortable state.

Hell no. My goal is to be able to eat as much as possible at maintenance. If I'm "super skinny" or going for the lower end of the BMI range I'd have to cut a few hundred more calories from my day. No thanks!
  • CassieBinTC
    CassieBinTC Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    @Bekah7482 I feel I am totally in your boat too. Though I am not where you are currently. I started at 394 in June and I currently down to 312. I was a 28 pant. I am now already down to a 20. When I tell people my starting weight they think I am lying. I honestly can't see myself healthy below 200 pounds. While yes when I get there it might be a completely different story but the point of the matter is I just can't see myself getting down to a size 4.

I would like to follow this thread to see the input.
  • philsy1
    philsy1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you are in better health hand are happy with your appearance. Bad I don't really have a recommendation for you. But I have something that's maybe worth thinking about. Major weight loss is a very emotional thing. Some people are comfortable hand even exhilarated with big changes but others definitely are not. When we look in the mirror, we might see a radical change that could not be more personal. The emotions can bee a mixture of delight land horror. If you have been heavy "all your life", the prospect of living life as a different looking person can be daunting.
    Maybe it would be best for you to pause at your goal weight for a significant period of time, until your eyes hand brain catch up with your weight loss, no matter what momentum is lost or compliments received. In time, you will know what to do.
  • kingleahnidas
    kingleahnidas Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Congratulations on your major weight loss. I understand entirely where you're coming from. You've made a huge improvement in your life already, and the most important thing is that you maintain that victory. Is it "ok"? By what metric? As far as I know, you're an adult and you live in a free society. What you want to do with your life is really not anyone else's to determine the value of the trade-offs involved. You don't need our permission, or your doctor's permission.

But here's my experience, and I don't know if this will give you another perspective or not. I'm 5'9" as well, and I started at 270 lbs. I had no clear end goal when I started losing weight, but I remember how much better I felt at 240 than at 270. I did remember being thinner though... and I knew that the extra weight was putting strain on my joints. So I said "well, I'll keep going, at least down to no longer obese". I didn't know if I'd keep going after that, if it'd be worth it. But it wasn't actually that hard. That 500 calories deficit meant I was still getting about 2000 calories a day, which wasn't really depriving myself at all.

By 220 I could feel a difference again. It was easier to walk. Everything hurt less. I didn't realize how much I'd hurt at 270 or 240 until I could look back from 220 and it was illuminating. I guess the reason is that the chronic pain of carrying that excess weight is a constant thing, its easy to just feel like its normal when its not. I kept going, because maintaining that deficit wasn't hard. And because I realized that I could relieve more stress from my back and knees and hips and heart. Just physics going on there... the more you weigh, the more force lands on your joints when you walk.

At 200 I discovered that sleeping was more comfortable. My asthma attacks were less frequent. Walking was even easier. I felt like I looked good again. Not like "oh my gosh look at that girl!" hot but I liked my curvy figure. I was 100% ok with how I looked. And I was just under "obese". My doctor was pretty happy with my progress, and wanted me to know if I maintained that weight I'd already made a great difference. I took stock again, and I realized that maintaining my weight loss at 1 lb/ week still wasn't difficult. Because I could move with less pain and exhaustion, I was moving a lot more than I had previously, and I still got to eat about 2000 calories and continue to lose weight. So I decided to take a chance and keep going, reasoning that if I'd felt better at 240 than 270, and 220 than 240, and at 200 than at 220, it was possible that I might feel better at a relatively non-ambitious 185.

That turned out, for me, to be a marvellous decision. I knew by 190 that 180 was entirely possible, and that I wasn't going to hate how i looked. I wasn't going to need to be obsessive or super-deprived to get there or maintain that weight, that it'd all work out ok.

And 180 felt even better than 200. Hiking was easier. Inclines were no big deal that had been a real challenge before. I could do so much more, and looking back it was absolutely incredible to realize how exhausting carrying around that extra 90 lbs had been. Life was way better at 180 for purely physical reason that had nothing to do with how I looked or how I felt about looking. It was only then that I even contemplated continuing to lose weight. I started re-evaluating every 5 lbs. I dropped to a slow rate of loss (1/2 lb per week) because I really didnt' like going under 2000 calories. For me , it turned out that I was at a very sustainable balance of food & exercise there (10-14k steps / day, 2000 calories). This fit into my life.

So settling in on the lifestyle I could sustain and enjoy really determined where my end weight would be. Which is, oddly enough, a previously unimagined 155-157 lbs maintenance. I never in a million years dreamed that I'd be this weight. I couldn't have possibly wrapped my mind on it at 270, or 240, or even 200 lbs. But I can tell you in retrospect that it's SO much easier to do everything at this weight. Except maybe buy clothes. It turns out that when you drop into size small clothes they're also shorter. C'est la vie. I guess we can't have everything.

This was a long story, but I want to let you know that for me, being larger involved accepting chronic pain and exhaustion as a result of my weight. A direct result of my weight. And I didn't realize how much pain and exhaustion I'd accepted as "normal" for me until I no longer had to live with it. I don't live in your body, but that stress is a matter of biomechanics, and affects everyone who has susbstantial excess weight. A motivated person can work to be strong and active despite the weight, but they're going to put in more work than they would without that extra 20, 40, 60 lbs. There's no getting around it. And for me, in retrospect, well, I wish I'd realized how much easier life was without having to carry that excess weight everywhere.

But I was "OK" at any weight. 270. 240. 220. 200. etc. And so are you. Its just a matter of deciding what is a sustainable life for you. Best wishes.

I just wanted to say that this post is SO helpful for those of us slowly moving toward the mysterious land of maintenance. I think the part that struck me the most is that I too had no IDEA what a low weight would mean for me. When you have been obese your entire life, it is impossible to imagine what a reasonable healthy weight is. For example, the only time I have ever been my current weight, I was pre-pubescent and about 5 inches shorter. I have no frame of reference. Choosing a goal weight when you have nothing to base it off of is really just a guessing game. Trial and error, taking it slow, eating enough, and lots of staring at yourself in the mirror.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I think you should be where both you and your doctor are content. I do know that for me to even scrape the top end ot the OK BMI range I really do look a bit scraggy and thin. As someone else has said - BMI is a statistical tool - it was originally designed as a health indicator for populations not individuals. IMHO it has been a bit hijacked by the health insurance industry. As long as you are completely honest with yourself and listen to medical advice, blood tests etc I see no harm in stIcking to a weight which suits you - I suspect I may well settle at a slightly higher BMI myself. Congratulations on your terrific loss so far - more power to your elbow :smiley:
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    is it ok to be ok with an overweight number on the scale?

You do you...
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with this myself. My BMI is 25.9 (overweight by ~6 pounds). My waist to height ratio is 43.6 (close to the slender end of healthy. Body fat percentage (caliper method) 23.5%. Clothes size small except pants size 6/8 or medium.

I think I look Ok, even good if I dress carefully. BUT, I cringe every time I checked my newly calculated calorie allotment plunge downward as I lost more weight.

I decided to stop and try to do maintenance for now. I hope I’ll get my body (ever so slowly) down to the top of my recommended BMI just in case to qualify for an insurance discount or employee health initiative if I ever need to. But further body changes will have to be recomp or bust. I want every piddling calorie I can have - and the difference between calories at middle BMI normal and top end of BMI normal are a considerable percentage at my height. Someone else can enjoy the bikini body a lower BMI may bring. I’ll have a baked potato thank you.

But mostly, I agree with the above poster. You do you!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It seems like people think that because I have the momentum going that I should ride it out to get as skinny as possible but not everyone has that goal. I am in perfect health, my ability to do physical activities is not hindered (well maybe im not strong enough for a pull up yet) and I maintain a very healthy lifestyle now. I dont see a problem maintaining once i am in a comfortable state.

It's not about being super skinny...it's about being at a healthy level of BF%...if your over fat, you are at greater risk for numerous health problems vs someone who has at a healthy BF%...A healthy BF% isn't necessarily super skinny...I'm about 15% and am certainly not "skinny" and carry some visible fat...but it's a perfectly healthy BF%

Super skinny makes me think of underweight...which would also be an unhealthy BF% because not enough fat to be healthy...