Vegans!

Options
I'm on my third week of going full out vegan. And I feel great. But I feel like I replaced sweets with eating meat for over a week which was bad lol, but I'm back on track. What was the hardest adjustment for you?

Replies

• verodz
    verodz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi evon! I have been adjusting for over six months now... I have had a difficult time giving up cheese (which I finally did 4 weeks ago!) and fish in sushi, which I still crave tremendously. So I guess I am mostly vegan, except once a month :)
    But I gave up all other animal products quite fast and I do not miss them at all. I did replace all the creams and butters with homemade fermented cashew cream, which was not that good for my waist line since it tasted way too good and I had way too much of it.
  • paulawriteslove
    paulawriteslove Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am a new vegan as well-and am absolutely loving it! (I did it for 2 months in 2017 and then went back to vegetarian) It was difficult to give up ice cream! But I'm doing pretty good!
  • mcorwinde23
    mcorwinde23 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    4 year vegan here -> meat was easy to quit. Cheese on the other hand was really painful. I think because your body craves sugar, salt, and fat, and that Cheese is full of Salt and Fat. I still dream about grilled cheese sandwiches 4 years later. Is that weird?

anyway, I am here to help. Make sure you take a B12 supplement cause its derived from a certain bacteria that gets washed off of the fruits and veggies when they mass sell it in supermarkets. The only reason animals have B12 (in low amounts I might add) is cause they eat dirt, poop, and other wonderfully disguisting things laying on the ground.

If anyone needs a friend who is vegan, im here!
  • Shay324b21
    Shay324b21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey, I’ve been vegan for 8 months and absolutely love it, it’s the best thing I’ve ever done! Here if you need any help
  • ThinGoldLineNS
    ThinGoldLineNS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I don't consider myself vegan but have transitioned to a whole foods plant-based lifestyle (Jan 1) and I'm really enjoying it and I feel so much better. Giving up meat isn't difficult, cheese has been a little harder but I'm doing well. I like gardening in the summer and growing my own food as much as I can. In winter, I try to shop at my local farmer's market on Saturday mornings (if I'm not working). Feel free to add me.
    Renée
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Next week is my 2nd year anniversary of not eating any meat. My experience has been great and I feel amazing!

I make almost all of my meals at home. I thought getting through holidays, vacations, cookouts and going out might give me problems with making food choices but it has not one bit.

It's great growing some of my own food in the summer, trying new recipes and making substitutions with my old favs like making zucchini "crab" cakes or BBQ cauliflower bites. I'm always trying something new in my kitchen. :smile:

My diet is more diverse and flavorful now then in the past and I'm so happy I decided to keep going with my meatless streak.

Good luck!

• EvonEvans2014
    EvonEvans2014 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I've been checking out a lot of recipes on Pinterest and Instagram. I had no idea there were so many different ways to make meals.
  • ThinGoldLineNS
    ThinGoldLineNS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Made Lentil Soup yesterday for my 4 x 12 hr day shifts... (so good!)
    Ingredients: 1/4 cup of olive oil (I do not use oil, substitute with veg broth or water) 1 chopped onion 2 diced carrots 2 chopped stalks of celery 2 minced cloves of garlic 1 tsp of dried oregano 1 tsp of dried basil 1 bay leaf 1 (14.5 ounce) can of diced or crushed tomatoes 2 cups of dried lentils 8 cups of water 1/2 cup of spinach (chopped) 2 tbsp of vinegar (I omitted) Salt and pepper to taste. Directions: In a large soup pot, sauté onions carrots and celery in oil (or broth if not using oil); cook and stir until onions are tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano and basil; cook another 2 minutes. Stir in lentils and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 1 hour. When ready to serve, stir in spinach and cook until wilted. Add vinegar (if using) and season with salt and pepper.