Weighing meat

Options
I eat a lot of chicken breast and I've always weighed after it's cooked, but noticed it's a lot more grams when it's raw, should I be weighing meat when it's raw or cooked?

Replies

• GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Raw!!
  • ShawnLee67
    ShawnLee67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I weigh it after it's cooked since chicken breasts are generally plumped (injected with water) and mainly it's a loss of water weight from cooking.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I always weigh raw
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I do both, just make sure you pick the right entry and search for 'cooked chicken breast usda', and search raw if its not cooked
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If you weigh it raw, use a raw entry. If you weigh it cooked, use a cooked entry. I tend to weigh meat raw because I'm more likely to remember to weigh it during prep rather than when everything is ready to eat, and I often cook it with sauce or veggies.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    If you weigh it raw, use a raw entry. If you weigh it cooked, use a cooked entry. I tend to weigh meat raw because I'm more likely to remember to weigh it during prep rather than when everything is ready to eat, and I often cook it with sauce or veggies.

This is what I do too. I make way too many mixed dishes. Much easier to weigh as it goes in. Then all I need to do is enjoy.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    weigh everything raw unless the packaging indicates calories are when the item is cooked/prepared
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You can choose to do either, so pick which is easiest for you. Just make sure to log correctly, as 100g of raw chicken, will have different calorie than 100g of cooked chicken. As chicken tends to shrink when cooked, so will then weigh less, once cooked. Check you choose the correct database entries.
  • Anger67
    Anger67 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I weigh my meals cooked, as I plate them. I overcook meals, to provide a day or two left overs. Just use the correct entry as others have said.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The USDA database has numerous listings for various cuts of "chicken, raw". It also has even more numerous listings for methods of cooking various cuts of "chicken, cooked". I choose to log "raw" because I don't know what "braised" is.
  • krissywashington79
    krissywashington79 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have been weighing my meat wrong this whole time