Cutting too many calories?

Options
I've been easily taking in about 700-900 calories a day while on my 20 carb keto diet, of which a calculator said I should aim for 1.8k calories a day. Is this going to accelerate my weight loss, or slow it by slowing my metabolism? Like today I've only had 350 calories, I'm a little hungry, but beyond that I feel fine.

Replies

• alecschanno
    alecschanno Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Also, I've lost four pounds this week, which I know is already good, I just want to make sure I maintain that level of loss. If I should eat more, I'll do it
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Unless you're actually 2 years old, you're not eating enough.

^ This.

You're creating the potential for loss of lots of lean mass (of which muscle is a component), along with the potential for numerous other negative side effects (hormonal dysfunction, hair loss, organ damage, etc.). At some point you can also expect your energy levels and workout performance (if you're working out) to crater, your testosterone levels to plummet and your sex drive to completely disappear.

But yeah, it'll accelerate your weight loss.

[ETA:] Unless you currently weigh somewhere north of 400 pounds, a loss of 4 pounds a week is not safe, nor is it sustainable. If you've recently started keto, a big portion of that loss is water/glycogen, not fat. And it won't continue at that rate.
  • alecschanno
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Eat the 1800. You’re doing some major damage to your body eating that few calories. And unless you have over 200 pounds to lose, you should not be aiming to lose 4 pounds every week.

Well, I weigh 256 pounds at five foot two short, and I should be 110 - 120
  • alecschanno
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

^ This.

You're creating the potential for loss of lots of lean mass (of which muscle is a component), along with the potential for numerous other negative side effects (hormonal dysfunction, hair loss, organ damage, etc.). At some point you can also expect your energy levels and workout performance (if you're working out) to crater, your testosterone levels to plummet and your sex drive to completely disappear.

[ETA:] Unless you currently weigh somewhere north of 400 pounds, a loss of 4 pounds a week is not safe, nor is it sustainable. If you've recently started keto, a big portion of that loss is water/glycogen, not fat. And it won't continue at that rate.

Man, this is so much to take in. I just want to get healthy and be able to do things like maintaining a job again. My Beck has been killing me and my doctor assures me it's cause I'm far too overweight.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

^ This.

Man, this is so much to take in. I just want to get healthy and be able to do things like maintaining a job again. My Beck has been killing me and my doctor assures me it's cause I'm far too overweight.

I would still push to have the back checked out just to be sure. My mother was told the same, turned out there were other issues contributing to her pain aside from her weight. Definitely take it slower, your body will thank you in the long run. And at your weight you could manage a 2lb a week weight loss which is not bad.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    im a 40 year old woman who is 5'1 and lose between 1-2 pounds a week eating around 1200.

you are eating far too little and if you continue long term, will damage your body.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    20 net carbs is a punishingly small number and although you’re not the first person I’ve seen pursuing it, I really don’t know where it came from. Aiming that low will bar you from eating all the vegetables you need, and it’ll be impossible to hit a decent calorie goal unless you sit around eating butter-poached chicken all day, which...don’t.

For ketosis you want 5-10% of your calories to come from carbohydrates (multiply net carbs x 4 and compare it to your calories for the day). If you’re eating 1800 calories, you should get anywhere from 28-45 net carbs (total carbs minus fiber, which isn’t digestible and doesn’t add calories). If you eat fewer calories you’ll want to keep the carbs lower, but on days you eat more your carb allowance rises, too. That means more room for foods with a variety of nutrients in them that you NEED.

I’ve got a lower calorie goal than yours, haven’t been below 30 net carbs in two weeks, and am still in ketosis. Trying to keep them to one low fixed number no matter what was really counterproductive for me, and I suspect it is for you as well, so try thinking of it as a ratio for a few days and see how it goes! Eat your fat and eat your fiber and everything gets much easier. :)
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Eat the 1800. You’re doing some major damage to your body eating that few calories. And unless you have over 200 pounds to lose, you should not be aiming to lose 4 pounds every week.

Well, I weigh 256 pounds at five foot two short, and I should be 110 - 120

I'm 5ft 2, weigh 230lb and I eat 1700 -1800 and I'm female
    I'm aiming for 130-140lb which is the top end of normal bmi

I'm down from 387lb and would not want to be eating less than my 2 year old who averages 1200-1500 a day and is on the 9th centile (I.e tiny)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Doing this for a brief period is not going to do "major damage" to your body--not at your height and weight. However, it's not a good long-term plan, either for general health or for permanent weight loss. Drastic programs can provide some short-term motivation as you see the pounds come off quickly. However, they are not sustainable. It's best to start with good habits from day 1.