60, diabetic 2 and hate exercise

Options
Hi all,
I decided at the beginning of the year when I had to change to a different insurance plan and began to fight and get frustrated with the mail order pharmacy, to do something to get off all my meds. I am 5'6" and started at 196.7lbs. After 2 weeks I am down to 190. I decided to do Atkins 40 because of the low carb count and the effect it has on my blood sugars. In the two weeks I have been pretty steady at 80-110 any time of day. I am looking for suggestions for low carb breakfasts that go easy on red meat and eggs. (High cholesterol too! ) I am not a dairy fan so smoothies are out for the most part. Any ideas out there? I am going to stay in the induction stage 2 more weeks so I am staying away from fruits and bread. I know I can probably start introducing a little bit of fruit but hesitate to do it yet due to the effect the carbs will have on my blood sugar numbers.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    cant get much more high protein low carb than bacon and eggs. theres egg substitutes that are lower in cholesterol, but i think it may have been (im not sure so dont quote me) that eggs are NOT terrible for your cholesterol.
  • michellebirtleeds
    michellebirtleeds Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There's lots of good turkey sausage options out there these days, if that helps.

Also, there's no universal law on what is breakfast food. Have some salmon on a salad, or whatever other kind of food you like that fits with your diet.
  • jnicklinolsen
    jnicklinolsen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with your low-carb choice, because it really helps to curb cravings. I have used a bunch of recipes from South Beach Diet and the Medifast program. If you like eggs, I would use them, because the link between blood cholesterol and eggs has been debunked. Sugar is a much bigger issue for cholesterol than healthy fats. I love the medifast recipe for cauliflower pizza crusts (uses egg beaters, shredded low-fat mozzarella, and grated cauliflower). I do a whole head of cauliflower at one time, and I get about 15 half-size crusts, which I freeze and then heat for breakfast with a little tomato sauce and more shredded low-fat mozzarella, and sometimes some chopped veggies (mushrooms, onions, peppers). http://www.sandyskitchenadventures.com/2011/01/cauliflower-pizza-crust-2.html . I also really like the South Beach diet breakfast quiche cups - veggies (frozen spinach or whatever you like), egg beaters, and low-fat cheese. I have lately started using real eggs, instead of egg beaters, and I think that's probably healthier overall, without taking away from the low-carb momentum. Good luck!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    No carb, no red meat, no eggs, no dairy, no fruit.

High protein.

How about a vegetarian protein powder mixed with water or even a little extra spinach? It would be totally delish with frozen banana but that might be too high sugar for you.

A handful of nuts should work well. I find the fat content helps sustain me through the morning.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • geatoomer
    geatoomer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with your low-carb choice, because it really helps to curb cravings. I have used a bunch of recipes from South Beach Diet and the Medifast program. If you like eggs, I would use them, because the link between blood cholesterol and eggs has been debunked. Sugar is a much bigger issue for cholesterol than healthy fats. I love the medifast recipe for cauliflower pizza crusts (uses egg beaters, shredded low-fat mozzarella, and grated cauliflower). I do a whole head of cauliflower at one time, and I get about 15 half-size crusts, which I freeze and then heat for breakfast with a little tomato sauce and more shredded low-fat mozzarella, and sometimes some chopped veggies (mushrooms, onions, peppers). http://www.sandyskitchenadventures.com/2011/01/cauliflower-pizza-crust-2.html . I also really like the South Beach diet breakfast quiche cups - veggies (frozen spinach or whatever you like), egg beaters, and low-fat cheese. I have lately started using real eggs, instead of egg beaters, and I think that's probably healthier overall, without taking away from the low-carb momentum. Good luck!

I am liking the low, low carbs because I could eat bread and potatoes all day! I totally forgot about the SB diet for recipes. The pizza recipe sounds great. Thanks!
  • geatoomer
    geatoomer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    No carb, no red meat, no eggs, no dairy, no fruit.

High protein.

How about a vegetarian protein powder mixed with water or even a little extra spinach? It would be totally delish with frozen banana but that might be too high sugar for you.

A handful of nuts should work well. I find the fat content helps sustain me through the morning.

I do eat a few carbs but really stay away from dairy right now. It makes me feel bad at the best of times. Eggs- I do egg whites at times but most times eggs just tasty bad.
  • gorditalindaz
    gorditalindaz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You might want to spend some time learning about nutrition. "Eggs cause high cholesterol" is not accurate and there is a lot of misinformation out there. There are youtube videos by Dr. Fung on reversing diabetes and others that are straightforward and very helpful in steering you in the right direction.
  • Munchberry
    Munchberry Posts: 172 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I make an egg/bacon and cheese casserole and then eat it for a few days (you can microwave it and it tastes good. There is a website calledhttps://kalynskitchen.com/ She has tons of low carb recipes. That is where I got the breakfast casserole.

Also - dietary cholesterol does not make for hi blood cholesterol.

Good luck. It takes some getting used to.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You might want to spend some time learning about nutrition. "Eggs cause high cholesterol" is not accurate and there is a lot of misinformation out there. There are youtube videos by Dr. Fung on reversing diabetes and others that are straightforward and very helpful in steering you in the right direction.

Dr Fung isnt much better than the whole eggs cause high cholesterol thing.

OP, i tend to do a variety of eggs/omlets, including adding salmon or avocado to increase healthy fats. And don't feel like you have to only eat breakfast food.

And you may want to try and find an exercise you enjoy as exercise can improve insulin sensitivity and make larger improvements to your body.