Thoughts on the Elliptical machine?

Options
Is the Elliptically really the best machine for toning and cardio?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It can help burn calories and keep you active/fit.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. If you like it use it.

Most good elliptical machines can give you an excellent lower body cardio (and some core) workout. Used right, you can get a lot of benefits, but not build the way lifting might. I personally don't think the upper body workout on ellipticals with handles does much for most people. It's far to easy for people to use their legs to propel the upper handles and the arms are just sort of along for the ride.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Is this a question off the heals of the thread about toning thighs? There was a lot of great advice on that thread that answered 'toning' questions.

That said, cardio (it doesn't matter the machine or type) burns calories and helps with adherence when losing fat, helps you maintain weight but moreover cardiovascular benefits.
  • Lianapugzoe
    Lianapugzoe Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Actually yes about thigh toning
    0831227 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yeah it is one of the most efficient cardio machine for me but make sure you are using enough resistance and really working out your muscles to make the movement, and not just ''bouncing'' or ''going with the flow'' of the machine.
  • Lianapugzoe
    Options
    I to the steep uphill climb on mine.
  • BigRed2525
    BigRed2525 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I’m a big fan. I don’t know if it’s the most effective,or efficient, but it’s something I don’t mind doing 3-4 times a week.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    My body can’t handle impact, so no treadmill for me. I love the elliptical and use it for HIIT and steady state cardio. I also use the rowing machine and I walk a lot.

Cardio can help you lose fat, which can increase muscle sedition, but it won’t “tone” as the resistance level isn’t really enough to build strength.
  • Lianapugzoe
    Options
    Thank for everyone's input
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I used to use the elliptical only for cardio. Now it is my back-up when I can't run due to weather or injury. I need a video or some really good music, tho, because it gets really boring!
  • the_amber_joy
    the_amber_joy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    "Toning" happens when you increase your muscle mass and reduce the fat that covers it so you can see the lean muscle instead of fluffier looking fat. While the elliptical is not the "best" way to accomplish this, it is one way to increase your energy expenditure as opposed to sitting around doing nothing. Lifting HEAVY weights (think barbell squats, deadlifts, etc.) will give your legs a better appearance due to increasing your muscle mass, and eating fewer calories than you burn (or burning more calories than you eat!) will reduce the fat which covers those muscles, and will accomplish a more "toned" appearance.
  • deminimis
    deminimis Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Big fan here and effective if you're willing. I'd rec you not use handles/bars at all...ever. The little balance corrections you'll constantly make will help tone your core. Also using it with weights (dumbbells) helps with some upper body areas (arms bent and some pumping like when jogging/running, above head, straight out in front, etc). Vary intensity (reps and speed), incline, and run backwards (I like 20% overall) now and then. 35-40 mins works for me. I'd also rec changing up the routine every week or so. For me, I want to get off the machine soaked and with noodles for legs.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Not a huge fan of cranking out hours on any machine - the best machine is a boring and inefficient option compared to doing something active not on a machine, and long sessions of steady state cardio don't increase muscle mass much or burn very many calories.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Not for me. I prefer the ARC Fitness because it is easier on my knees than the elliptical. And the ARC has the handles lower and at my shoulder level (I am very short), which allows me a better upper body movement. The handles in the elliptical are too high for my shoulders. You may also try a water rower, if your gym has one. Great total body workout and gentle on the knees.

However, the best cardio exercise/machine is the one that you prefer and can do with good form and in a consistent manner.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not a huge fan of cranking out hours on any machine - the best machine is a boring and inefficient option compared to doing something active not on a machine, and long sessions of steady state cardio don't increase muscle mass much or burn very many calories.

Huh?
    The bold is incorrect. Not all steady state is low intensity and long duration is the way to achieve big burns - if that's really someone's goal.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Huh?
    The bold is incorrect. Not all steady state is low intensity and long duration is the way to achieve big burns - if that's really someone's goal.

Yeah, compare the number of people who actually achieve big burns on a cardio machine with the number who come on here complaining that they do an hour of (fill in cardio machine) every day while watching shows or reading and yet never lose any weight. I guarantee if you are able to follow a TV show you are not working all that hard. Most people can't manage long duration at anything higher than low intensity - and the misleading burn information on the machine tempts people to overeat.

There's very little benefit to being a cardio slave. Study after study has shown this.
  • Lianapugzoe
    Options
    deminimis wrote: »
    Big fan here and effective if you're willing. I'd rec you not use handles/bars at all...ever. The little balance corrections you'll constantly make will help tone your core. Also using it with weights (dumbbells) helps with some upper body areas (arms bent and some pumping like when jogging/running, above head, straight out in front, etc). Vary intensity (reps and speed), incline, and run backwards (I like 20% overall) now and then. 35-40 mins works for me. I'd also rec changing up the routine every week or so. For me, I want to get off the machine soaked and with noodles for legs.

Thanks will try it out