Trouble reaching goals

Options
Hello. I started a low carb diet, mostly to address prediabetes. Once I reduced my carbs (I was eating a lot) my hunger nosedived and now im having trouble eating all my calories. Is it really that serious to not meet the goals and any tips would be great! Thank you.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is important to eat your calories. Your body needs fuel. I don't do low carb so hopefully someone else will come along with suggestions, but you want to add in some calorie dense, low volume food. And if you just changed your diet, it can take a little time sometimes for your body to adjust, so this might be a temporary as well.
  • imrianec
    imrianec Posts: 13 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thank you! Hoping it is temporary. Haven't found any good dense low carb snacks yet except a spoonful of peanut butter, lol. On the up side, I'm already feeling the benefits of lowered carbs and sugar. I would hate to mess that up you know.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Slice an avocado in half, sprinkle it with some salt (I keep a batch with dried lemon peel mixed in on-hand and recommend it!), and eat that sucker. Handful of macadamia nuts, sauté everything in oil, sprinkle cheese on that and everything else. My husband eats this concoction made from unsweetened whole-milk Greek yogurt and unsweetened peanut butter and he swears he likes it even though it’s absolutely vile. :) I picked up a bunch of slices of coconut meat at the grocery store and every time I bite into them I’m like, “Why?” but at 108 low-carb calories for three chunks they’ll do in a pinch.

You do need to eat your calories! That’s where all the stuff your body needs is coming from, and if you ignore that long-term you’re going to start to notice symptoms you don’t like. You’ve made a fantastic commitment to your health; keep it up!
  • imrianec
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thanks! I appreciate the tips and enthusiasm!
  • imrianec
    Options
    Any tips on the macro %? Not sure I have it right. Currently at 30/35/35 at 1200 cal. Not trying to hit the keto thing, just balance blood sugar.
  • sabal20
    sabal20 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    imrianec wrote: »
    Hello. I started a low carb diet, mostly to address prediabetes. Once I reduced my carbs (I was eating a lot) my hunger nosedived and now im having trouble eating all my calories. Is it really that serious to not meet the goals and any tips would be great! Thank you.

I had the same problem so upped my carbs a bit because without the cravings for carbs I couldn't face eating much at all. I'm still eating low-for-me carbs but fill up on fat and protein.
  • blkfiver
    blkfiver Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did the same but cut out sugar first then went to low carb. I don't eat all my calories. What I do eat I try to make sure it is nutrient dense. Electrolytes is where I need to manage better.
  • imrianec
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thank you for all the input. 1200 is my base number with a deficit for half lb per week loss. I have cut down sugars a lot too. Thinking maybe just log what I eat for week while cutting sugars and bs carbs, not trying to stay within a number and see what it looks like then.
  • imrianec
    Options
    For record, 1825 would indeed cause a weekly weight gain. Not sure where that number came from - I don't know if I have ever hit that before, lol.
  • imrianec
    Options
    sabal20 wrote: »
    imrianec wrote: »

I had the same problem so upped my carbs a bit because without the cravings for carbs I couldn't face eating much at all. I'm still eating low-for-me carbs but fill up on fat and protein.

Isn't that so weird that without the carbs the appetite plunges? I have seen a lot of people say the same thing. Any good high protein/fat snack suggestions? Thanks!