Just got asked to ride a 2 day 200 km bike race?

Options
Any thoughts on specific training and exercise for this?

Replies

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    How much do you usually ride, if any?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts on specific training and exercise for this?

Depends how much you cycle already, and in the round what your objectives are.
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Oh man, you've got me salivating at the thought of this (I love sportives myself, and always find myself trying to schedule in more and more). 200k over 2 days sounds like such a blast!

However, as icemom011 asked and MeanderingMammal mentioned, we need to know how much you ride right now. If you are already doing 100ks on the weekends for fun without any soreness (your legs are trained and your bum has adjusted to your saddle), then you should already be good to go; day 2 may be a bit grueling, but more than doable. :) If not, then we can talk training that should make this more fun and less painful. :P
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above "tell us about yourself" comments.....

Race or ride? Two very, very different things.
    When is the event?

• jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    In addition to the above "tell us about yourself" comments.....

Race or ride? Two very, very different things.
    When is the event?

This. If you have to ride 100km a day and you have got all day, yes it is a challenge but doable with a bit of training. If it's a race, then it's a different ball game. If you need to train i would recommend starting with what you can manage currently, and increase the distance by 10% every week until you get comfortable. Go out with friends if you can, which makes it more fun and easier too as you can take turn to go at the front. As mentioned the second day may be a bit harder. Also what kind of terrain are you talking about, if it's flat that's one thing, if you are climbing a lot, it's going to be harder obviously
  • Lianapugzoe
    Lianapugzoe Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I ride regularly. It's teams racing half way through were riding a steep incline of a mountain. Most of us will race some are in it just to ride.
  • Lianapugzoe
    Options
    The event is June 2019 lots of time to train and prepare
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The event is June 2019 lots of time to train and prepare

Yes that's a lot of time to prepare. Maybe take part in a few 100km local races if you have any. Could you join a cycling club, you will always find riders with a lot of knowledge and ready to help you to achieve your goals, plus it's quite fun to go out in a group, and if you are not as fast as they are, this will motivate you to work out harder
  • Lianapugzoe
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    How much do you usually ride, if any?

I do ride ride alot and daily for hours in the better weather.