salad dressings are the worst!!

Options
nel0311
nel0311 Posts: 248
Sometimes it is so hard to eat a salad with out covering it leaf from leaf with your favorite dressing ( Ranch is my weakness) and packing on the fat :(

Well i stumbled across this one day being out of my Ranch and needing something to put on my salad. I like to eat different things in my salad and this one had jalapeno peppers on it... so i just poured the juice on my salad and BAM! it gave my salad a little kick btu helped me get it down! YAY...

so try Jalapeno pepper juice next time instead of that Ranch 0 fat and 10 cals per serving!

Replies

• VaBeachNurse
    Options
    I wish that I could find a low calorie/low fat or fat free salad dressing that I like. I'm a Thousand Island girl. So far everyone that I have tried tasted horrible!
  • swtkaylasmommy
    Options
    i love avocado on my salad.... put a lid on and give it a good shake and it will break down and coat the salad...thats my dressing.
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I always put something moist that isn't dressing on my salads. Guacamole, tuna, egg salad. Yum.
  • cmoyerp
    cmoyerp Posts: 1
    Options
    My husband and I use olive oil and a nicely flavored vinegar. Christine
  • tweez8976
    tweez8976 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Salsa or pico de gallo are great alternatives to dressings...so good and very low cal!
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are, but my local supermarket has low fat dressings, including thousand island. I don't think they taste bad at all, as long as you don't mind all the extra things they'll have put in to make up for t he fat.
  • tristamshah
    Options
    I've been using a little olive oil and white balsalmic vinegar--- it's wonderful (and ranch is my weakness as well).
  • AmyPearshape
    AmyPearshape Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thousand Island is just ketchup, mayonnaise and pickle relish, so you might try making your own if you have a light mayo you like. I really love all of the Newman's Own Lighten Up dressings, and Hidden Valley Ranch Light.
  • KG220
    KG220 Posts: 8
    Options
    Bolthouse has really delicious dressings made with yogurt that are around 70 calories per 2 tbsp. They are right next to the bags of salad in our grocery store!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I have long since kicked bottled dressings to the curb. With a little creativity you can easily make your own low cal/low sodium/low fat dressings. Just play around with flavors.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I make my own salad dressing with apple cider vinegar, mrs dash and a pinch of splenda and it's so sweet and tangy and best of all 0 carb, 0 fat, 0 sodium, 0 calories and you can change the flavor by using different mrs dash spices.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Ken's fat free raspberry walnut is delicious and I like the Raspberry vineagrette too.
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    try walden farms dressngs available in the health food section of most super markets. Lots of varieties. I like the chiplote ranch and the bacon ranch (imitation bacon not pork) it has 0 fat, 0 calories, 0 carbs, 0 sugar! I am not sure how that is possible but it is. Check it out and see for yourself!
  • TheOddOne
    TheOddOne Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love the wishbone 1 calorie per spray bottles
    My favorite is the Italian vinegarette. It gives it just enough flavor without soaking it. I usually do about 15-20 sprays per 2 cups of salad. Although last time I had salad... I added fresh mushrooms, feta cheese and oil/red wine vinegar.
  • csmith4567
    csmith4567 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm so with you on this one ... I found a great spicy salsa that I've been using ... Bingo! Great way to get the flavor without the fat and calories .... If you really need the ranch dressing ... "water it down" with the salsa to get a spicy southwestern ranch dressing ... that way you can still get the fix without all the downsides.
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse has really delicious dressings made with yogurt that are around 70 calories per 2 tbsp. They are right next to the bags of salad in our grocery store!

I've been on the Bolthouse kick lately: LOVE the olive oil mango vinaigrette!! I put 1 tbsp on my salad for lunch every day at work. YUM!
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Italian dressing isn't so bad... but my absolute love is ginger dressing which is still a lot less than ranch! Avocado though... what a great idea!
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I use cottage cheese instead of dressing. I love it!!!!
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Annie's Naturals - Lite Honey Mustard and the Lite Rasberry Vinaigrette are pretty good.