Menopause/Perimenopause & Weight Loss Support Group

Options
2»

Replies

• AnneMarieFerreira
    Options
    I'm 47 and in perimenopause. I am also a type 1 Diabetic. I've always been very thin, but suddenly I have ballooned to a terrible weight!
  • noonansnook
    noonansnook Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Introduce Yourself
    I’m looking to connect with others to give and recurve support and maybe make some friends along the way I’m a 40
    Something year old Working mom who has lost herself— yes in the midst of a mid life crisis- I️ have finally come to terms that I️ need to figure out who I️ am who I️ want to be—I️ am
    More than this- I️ just know I️t I️ am more than my anxiety and depress and the weight I️ keep holding on to— join me and we can help support each other Much love and respect! I️ will accept all friend requests
  • anderson0702
    anderson0702 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, also going through perimenopause but I may have found some good info on weight loss! Found this article recently:
    https://www.metaboliceffect.com/menopause-weight-loss/
    I did not sign up for the program but I'm following the basic guidelines in the article. Cutting out as much sugar as possible seems to be key. I certainly like fruit better than veggies but I am trying to eliminate that for now. I start each day with a high protein breakfast. Lunch is a huge salad. Then a fairly normal dinner. When I was younger keeping my calories at 1200 (paying no particular attention to what was in those calories) seemed to do the trick. Now I'm keeping them around 1400 to 1500 and actually am losing. I think the change and what I'm eating is what is helping.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    @anderson0702 Thanks for sharing this blog. I read it once and will reread it again to understand it better. Makes sense in many ways.
  • RubyRed427
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Have a wonderful
    Day !
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and just started getting what I assume are hot flashes...they're not unbearable, just a sudden heat. I also wake up hot in the middle of the night and kick off all my covers. Have yet to skip a month though, and I'm so jealous of my friends who are "done!" Bittersweet, when I was twelve I couldn't wait to get my period, now I'm looking forward to never getting it again!
  • wdedoelder
    wdedoelder Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This sounds like the place for me. I am 44 years old. The last 2 years, I have been exercising 4-6 times a week and managed to lose 40 pounds (started at 235). I added a nutritionist when I stopped losing weight last January and hit 185 in June. That is when it all went to hell on me. The last 6 months, I have gained back 15 pounds while increasing my exercise and still dieting. I went to the doctor for some tests and it seems that I am in Menopause. I have completely cut out soda last year and only drink water and tea. I eat about 1500 calories a day and am still gaining. I have been running 25-30 km a week and hit the gym for weights twice a week. What am I doing wrong? My mom passed 10 years ago and my dad just passed this Thanksgiving, so I really do not have anyone to turn to for advice on this anymore :(. So it seems that you all are my surrogates :)
  • tlsb2016
    tlsb2016 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    wdedoelder wrote: »
    This sounds like the place for me. I am 44 years old. The last 2 years, I have been exercising 4-6 times a week and managed to lose 40 pounds (started at 235). I added a nutritionist when I stopped losing weight last January and hit 185 in June. That is when it all went to hell on me. The last 6 months, I have gained back 15 pounds while increasing my exercise and still dieting. I went to the doctor for some tests and it seems that I am in Menopause. I have completely cut out soda last year and only drink water and tea. I eat about 1500 calories a day and am still gaining. I have been running 25-30 km a week and hit the gym for weights twice a week. What am I doing wrong? My mom passed 10 years ago and my dad just passed this Thanksgiving, so I really do not have anyone to turn to for advice on this anymore :(. So it seems that you all are my surrogates :)

First, I’m sorry about your father’s passing. Having lost both my parents (in different years) during the holidays, I understand how hard it is.

Second, regarding your recent weight loss struggles, I wondered about the type of food you’re eating since it is possible to gain weight while eating 1500 calories if it’s 1500 bad calories! However, you’re working with a nutritionist so I’m guessing that you’re eating well.

If your diet and exercise hasn’t changed, then I wonder if something medical is going on. I’m 53 and in menopause for a couple of years, and I know that medical issues that were hidden by the female hormones can now come out. For example, hypothyroidism. Do you have other symptoms in addition to weight gain?

If you haven’t had one lately, a good physical might be in order. (Full disclosure: I’m not a medical professional!)

Welcome to the discussion!

• RubyRed427
    Options
    Premenopausal update: Since I quit alcohol for two weeks now, I haven't had a single hot flash in the middle of the night. Of course, the sweats may have been alcohol related but still, I think it's a good thing. Also, my chiropractor prescribed a vitamin Ovex by Standard Process company. It's a vitamin, but when I researched it it contains bovine ovarie hormone. I wasn't keen on that, but decided to take it for a month. I dont know if there's been a difference per say, but my Cycles were more erratic before I took it and now seem more normal and I've had no spotting. (Every four weeks with no spotting). But the vitamin could be a scam; I am too impulsive when someone offers me a vitamin:)
    Anyway, I wanted to see how everyone is doing. I had bloodwork done recently and I am in the middle of menopause/perimenopause. But then again, I could tell already just from my body. My bottom part of my belly has become a cantaloupe. Ugh.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    I also think diet has a huge role in how your symptoms progress. I have lost a 8 pounds over the last two months because I've been tracking every bite and exercising more. I think our weight can be manageable even if we're on menopause/peri but it will take a lot of effort;)
  • sschrock
    sschrock Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in here. I am 49 y/o. My GYN told me a few months ago that I'm almost at the end of perimenopause. I will go 2-3 months with no period, then spot/light flow for 2-3 weeks. I rarely have hot flashes, and if I do, they're at night only. I'm usually freezing cold! I notice my mood worsens when I've not had my period for awhile, then I feel more happy/normal when I'm spotting. It's like it releases all those pent up hormones! I am not taking any vitamins/supplements/hormone treatments specifically for peri/menopause. Libido is low after my period is over, but increases as the hormones build back up. Sex life is pretty good for being married for almost 30 years!

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 14 months ago, but I'm stable on my very low Synthroid dose (only 25 mcg daily). Here's my complicating factor in my weight loss journey: my heaviest weight was 278. I was pre-diabetic and my PCP said I had metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance. I took Metformin for years, but once I changed my lifestyle in Jan. 2016, I began losing the weight and got down to 202! He took me off the Metformin in July 2017, and I've started slowly gaining back some weight. I hover around 210-215. I'm frustrated with this, because my goal weight is 185, and now I feel I'll never get there no matter how much I work out, or how little I eat. I am trying to come to grips with the fact that high glycemic carbs are not my friends and that the Metformin was acting like a blocker for those carbs so I could get away with eating some bread, sugars, and potatoes. I am a confessed "potatoholic!" I could care less about bread, pasta, and rice. I like dark chocolate for a sugar, and fruit, but I stick to low-glycemic berries. I'm trying really hard to give up potatoes altogether.

So, after all this info, you can see I've got some complicated medical things going on. Is it all a combination of perimenopause, hypothyroidism, and MS/IR?? I work out 6 days a week doing a combination of cardio, strength training, and yoga/pilates/tai chi. I strive for 1500-1700 calories per day. I've been trying to eat less than 75 carbs per day too.

Any advice on how to get that scale moving back down again?? Any opinions would be appreciated! :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi all. Thanks for sharing your experiences here. It's important for folks to see how a variety of women experience peri-menopause and menopause.
    I'll also remind women we have a group! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group

I am now officially menopausal. My last period was well over a year ago.
    My symptoms varied along the way, but by far the most difficult to manage were the lesser documented symptoms:
    dizziness, brain fog, irritability, insomnia. And, probably, significant blood sugar control issues. I'm only really realizing this now that my hormones are settling a bit.

I read a ton, and ultimately chose to use low dose bio-identical progesterone and estrogen.

If you haven't yet read "The Estrogen Window" I do encourage it. For a more light hearted, and less concise read, "Menopause Confidential" is fun. (Both are available at my library digitally via Hoopla)

Cheers!