What nobody tells you about quitting alcohol

Options
UltraVegAthlete
UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
My mom was telling me about what changes have happened to her since giving up alcohol three months ago. I have never consumed alcohol, nor will I ever, but I found what she said very interesting, considering it’s stuff nobody usually thinks about as significant. This is what she said she’s experienced so far:
rapid weight loss (she would drink a bottle a night, so that’s a ton of calories not being consumed now)
Not waking up groggy or still slightly drunk
Feeling the sensation of falling asleep (nodding off, fatigue, twitching, etc.)
What about anyone else? What have you experienced/noticed since giving up alcohol that have surprised you?

Replies

• LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    My mom was telling me about what changes have happened to her since giving up alcohol three months ago. I have never consumed alcohol, nor will I ever, but I found what she said very interesting, considering it’s stuff nobody usually thinks about as significant. This is what she said she’s experienced so far:
    rapid weight loss (she would drink a bottle a night, so that’s a ton of calories not being consumed now)
    Not waking up groggy or still slightly drunk
    Feeling the sensation of falling asleep (nodding off, fatigue, twitching, etc.)
    What about anyone else? What have you experienced/noticed since giving up alcohol that have surprised you?

Alcohol is a depressant, so the next day after drinking, besides a hangover, is lower happiness in general. If you quit drinking, you don't have to deal with that. Youll save money too. And ill stay consistant on my diet/nutritional needs too if I dont drink because I tend not to have an appetite if hungover. I dont make insanely bad decisions if not drinking. And i honestly wouldnt have slept with some women if I didn't drink. Haha
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I have heard people discuss all of these when quiting alcohol or weightloss tips. Is it really not talked about?

Well except for the feeling of falling asleep, but I felt that even when drinking.

But many people give up alcohol specifically to lose weight cause they know its high in calories.

Also what was your mother drinking a bottle of? Beer, wine or spirits cause that would be wildly different amounts of calories.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I save a *kitten* ton of money.

I save a *kitten* ton of embarrassment.

I still drink alcohol but maybe once every couple of months when it was once a day before.

The periods between drinks keep growing and I think eventually I won't even touch the stuff.

I do some stupid *kitten* while drinking.
  • CaptainFantastic00
    CaptainFantastic00 Posts: 4,619 Member
    Options
    I never really drank but when i started i drank a lot, and being in a depressive state i did not handle things then would drink myself out of a bunch of money then still feel like *kitten* on top of everything else
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Your mileage may vary with that weight loss thing. I work in a rehab and it’s a rare unicorn who leaves thinner than when they came in.

But they do enjoy more mental clarity and their husbands agreeing to lift the restraining order, so there’s that.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I have heard people discuss all of these when quiting alcohol or weightloss tips. Is it really not talked about?

Well except for the feeling of falling asleep, but I felt that even when drinking.

But many people give up alcohol specifically to lose weight cause they know its high in calories.

Also what was your mother drinking a bottle of? Beer, wine or spirits cause that would be wildly different amounts of calories.

White wine
  • Smilin40
    Smilin40 Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    It ssssuuuuccckkkkksssss
  • Smilin40
    Smilin40 Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Can I have your extra money to buy alcohol
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »
    Mentally and physically you start to feel better. All of your problems don't disappear right away or at all, but you confront them without sloppy clouded judgment. No embarrassment the next day. "I did what?" "I said what?"

No more apologizing to people (and yourself) no more drowning your sorrows just to wake up and they feel worse than before.

No mysterious bumps or bruises because apparently when you're annihilated you can't walk right so you fall down a lot.

No counting down the minutes to when you can start drinking and the annoying antsy feeling you feel counting those minutes down.

No more feeling guilt and shame, regret, denial, making promises, breaking promises, lying to yourself and to others.

Are a lot of my stinky ol' emotions still there? Yep! Sometimes it's not so bad, on a few rare occasions I say to myself THIS is when you'd have a drink but I don't drink then because I honestly don't want to, but I get those emotions knocking at my door and that's when I'd try to lock them away. Now my choice is just to deal with them. I don't always want to because, well crappy emotions suck. But what else do you do, ya know? I talk to people I trust, I write stuff down, I get lost in my creativity, doing fun stuff with DH, friends, family etc. I never thought that nobody cared about me (ok, a few aholes out there) but that wasn't the reasons for my problems or drinking, it was because I didn't care about me.

Long story short, when you stop using alcohol as a cure, vice, crutch, escape, etc. You start to feel better.

ALL OF THIS!! It was a HUGE relief for me when I decided to quit drinking. I never want to go back to that hell. Not even when I’m feeling at my lowest.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Recently decided to cut out all the things that trigger my Gout. Shellfish, Beef, Organ Meats and Alcohol. Side effect is weight loss. Which is good, right? Well, the weight loss is breaking down uric acid and putting it back in my system, so, now I am suffering from Gout as I lose the weight. Flushing out as best I can by drinking lots of water, eating lots of citrus and, basically, eating a mostly plant based diet. Guess it will be worth it once my weight stabilizes, but it sure feels like I am being punished for doing the right thing.

If I'm going to be in pain anyways, I think I'd rather have a cocktail first, but I'll stick it out for a little while longer.
  • FitMomma082018
    FitMomma082018 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have gained so much weight these past few years and I've also been drinking excessively every night, too much wine or light beer.
    So today I am taking a break from alcohol! I will let you all know what happens these next few months!