survivalist, prepping, and outdoor lovers

Options

Replies

• zacharyzane91
    zacharyzane91 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    also for people who just want to have the minimum to either have or to build on you can buy 72 hour pre packed emergency kits
  • dervari
    dervari Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Long distance backpacking (100+ miles).
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    Houses are located in the outdoors and my sofa is located in my house; hence, I reckon that I'm an outdoorsman.
  • zacharyzane91
    Options
    dervari wrote: »
    Long distance backpacking (100+ miles).

that would be an experience! i did some pretty long ruck marches while in the army but nothing like that lmao
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I love nature. I would love to go off grid. Ironically, I can't afford it
  • zacharyzane91
    Options

the current system has it to where it is very hard to break away from unless you want to be a vagabond of sorts
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I have enough peanut butter on hand to survive for months.

Seriously though I enjoy the outdoors and learning some basic safety/survival skills. Good things to know in case of a natural disaster or other emergency.
  • dervari
    edited January 2018
    Options

the current system has it to where it is very hard to break away from unless you want to be a vagabond of sorts

I met a guy who lived on the Appalachian Trail. He would hike for a couple of months, and then go into a trail town to earn money at odd jobs. He'd stay in his tent on the trail and go into town to work. When he earned a few hundred, he'd head back out for another couple of months on the trail.
  • zacharyzane91
    Options

I met a guy who lived on the Appalachian Trail. He would hike for a couple of months, and then go into a trail town to earn money at odd jobs. He'd stay in his tent on the trail and go into town to work. When he earned a few hundred, he'd head back out for another couple of months on the trail.

i respect that but i much would rather have a full time job a home a family some land a garden and etc
  • dervari
    Options

i respect that but i much would rather have a full time job a home a family some land a garden and etc

I'm not sure what this guy's backstory was. Maybe he just needed to disconnect for a while. I'm with you, though. I'd love to do a thru hike, but would definitely look forward to the days I could experience creature comforts like a bed, shower, and toilet. LOL Hell, after being on the trail even just a few days I still look forward to those! :)
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I remember, when the National Geographic Channel began a series; concerning this & I chose, to watch because I love, residential architecture but I also paid attention, to the show; beyond that initial interest! After watching 2 episodes, it was obvious to me; that these people were preparing for everything physical but nothing mental, such as: potential lifelong solitary confinement! They all had this fantasy that they'd bunker with their family, however as 1 man within Hawaii realized during the false missile warning; that his family was within 3 separate locations & he'd never make it to anyone of them, within time; while he was upon the road! I remember thinking that these people whom had guns to protect themselves & their families, via other people'd most likely use that gun upon themselves; when they'd eventually've no people to live among! Also life expectancy'd dramatically decrease, anyway to primitive times; due to a lack of medical care & life saving medications/prescriptions {which ironically expire, prior to food made for years; of hunkering}! Therefore currently it's nonsensical, to prepare; for anything nuclear, etcetera but instead, just for a hurricane, etcetera!
  • zacharyzane91
    Options

I'm not sure what this guy's backstory was. Maybe he just needed to disconnect for a while. I'm with you, though. I'd love to do a thru hike, but would definitely look forward to the days I could experience creature comforts like a bed, shower, and toilet. LOL Hell, after being on the trail even just a few days I still look forward to those! :)

a thru hike is on my list of things to do but just being able to take at least 6 months to accomplish it is a very hard task to be able to afford financially and responsibility wise
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options

It's somewhat common for people to work long enough to earn money to live freely for a while. Then, when they need it again, they pick up odd jobs to continue the cycle.

I prefer consistency, and creature comforts when I'm not camping/hunting.
  • dervari
    Options
    W8WarI wrote: »
    Therefore currently it's nonsensical, to prepare; for anything nuclear, etcetera but instead, just for a hurricane, etcetera!

You should always have a rally point. Even after a disaster it would still be possible to locate loved ones with communications infrastructure gone.

Also, remember in "I Am Legend" he would broadcast ever day at noon. Another possibility with some type of FRS radio.

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Not so much a doomsday prepper but we bought a small farm. One day I would like if our family was able to mostly eat stuff we raised or grew ourselves. Its a work in progress.
  • zacharyzane91
    Options
    Not so much a doomsday prepper but we bought a small farm. One day I would like if our family was able to mostly eat stuff we raised or grew ourselves. Its a work in progress.

the best part about becoming self sufficient its always something you can improve on, its a never ending process
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

the best part about becoming self sufficient its always something you can improve on, its a never ending process

I still have a long way to go in the gardening world, but its cool to learn. Im fairly knowledgeable about animals but I have to be careful not to fall into "gotta collect em all" mode!
  • zacharyzane91
    Options
    lol
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I’ve thought of this a lot actually because as a self-proclaimed minimalist, the idea of stockpiling things in my basement gives me legit anxiety. My current survival kit based on what I have on hand is enough food to feed 4 people for about 30 minutes and whatever water we can salvage from the toilets. I don’t like my chances.