When you have to lose LOTS...

Options
How do you stay motivated, losing just a pound or two a week, when ultimately you need to lose 50-75? And how do you convince yourself to go to the gym when it's -15 outside? And eat salad when all you want is something warm? These are real questions, I swear I'm not just lamenting

Replies

• gracegettingittogether
    Options
    Also no need to eat salads in winter! You can eat whatever you want, as long as it fits your calories. You might need smaller portions, or substitute other foods to make room for whatever you want.
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Well, you don't have to go to the gym to lose weight. It's all about calories in < calories out, so just eat at a deficit.
    You don't have to eat only salad - soups can be quite low calorie, nutritious, and warm!

And this last point is just to say that 50-75 can often be done in the course of a year. I'm just about to hit 50 down and have 50-75 to go. It's discouraging to look at it as a whole picture, so break it up:
    1 pound a week gives you 10 pounds down by April! And that can actually be EASIER because you have such a long time line, so there's no PRESSURE to lose quickly, just consistently.
    10 pounds is often a dress size.
    A dress size might mean new jeans or a new dress.
    Look at belt notches, pay attention to how much easier it is to climb stairs or even SLEEP.
    Slow weight loss makes it EASIER in the long run, not harder, if you only change your mind set.

SO incredibly well said!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    DanerTee wrote: »
    aeloine wrote: »
    Well, you don't have to go to the gym to lose weight. It's all about calories in < calories out, so just eat at a deficit.
    You don't have to eat only salad - soups can be quite low calorie, nutritious, and warm!

And this last point is just to say that 50-75 can often be done in the course of a year. I'm just about to hit 50 down and have 50-75 to go. It's discouraging to look at it as a whole picture, so break it up:
    1 pound a week gives you 10 pounds down by April! And that can actually be EASIER because you have such a long time line, so there's no PRESSURE to lose quickly, just consistently.
    10 pounds is often a dress size.
    A dress size might mean new jeans or a new dress.
    Look at belt notches, pay attention to how much easier it is to climb stairs or even SLEEP.
    Slow weight loss makes it EASIER in the long run, not harder, if you only change your mind set.

SO incredibly well said!

Thanks!! <3
  • cmunson1983
    cmunson1983 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh. I also do visual reminders for my goals. When my goal was to exercise 5x's a week and log my food everyday for a week, I actually made a paper that I hung on my fridge that a tab for everyday. I tore a tab off for everyday that I did it. I haven't done that in awhile, but it was good a good reminder for me in the beginning.
  • xAbiCatx
    xAbiCatx Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's hard, but logging your food and exercise on MFP is good motivation..Since adding a couple of friends on this app i've found it a lot easier, just having others to 'like' your progress makes you feel less alone.

"Losing weight is not a race, it's a journey" and even a half pound loss a week is progress. I have a 60lb weight loss goal and i look at it week by week, weigh in by weigh in - breaking it down into smaller weekly goals helps.

Ive found that while it's been cold outside, soup has been a god send. So many varieties, plus its quick and easy and warms you up. There are many other meals (not just salad) that you can have as long as you stay within your calorie goal :)
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Make yourself a good soup instead of salad— blend some cauliflower, or squash, or zucchini, or broccoli as a base. Blend it with broth. Add veggies, meat, noodles, seasonings as you want. You’d be amazed at how filing it can be, and how low calorie it can be.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    abbeyminor wrote: »
    How do you stay motivated, losing just a pound or two a week, when ultimately you need to lose 50-75? And how do you convince yourself to go to the gym when it's -15 outside? And eat salad when all you want is something warm? These are real questions, I swear I'm not just lamenting

Just concentrate on the pound or two a week and not on the 50-75 pounds. Setting short term goals might be more motivating than setting a long term goal. If you want something warm, eat something warm. I mostly eat salads in the summer. I eat a lot of soup when it is cold. You don't ever have to eat salad to lose weight unless you want salad. You just have to pick foods that you like that fit your calorie goal. I have never been to the gym. I started out walking, then added yoga dvds and then started running. I do have trouble getting myself out when it is cold. You either have to just do it, or eat less. You don't have to exercise to lose weight. But it is good for your overall health to exercise and you can eat more if you exercise.
  • laurshortall
    laurshortall Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Don't eat salads if you don't want them. You can literally have anything that fits into your macros and calorie count for the day, leaving you plenty of warm options. Also, homemade soup (made with unsalted meat or veggie stock) often has lower sodium than the canned variety. Butternut squash can be a good base for creamy ones.

If you want to make a big batch of soup to meal prep for the week, crockpots are the best!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!