fiber question

Options
lyndyb88
lyndyb88 Posts: 123 Member
I recently was given a paper by my doctor with his recommendations for losing weight. On it, he suggested that I get 35g or more of fiber per day. MFP estimates that I should be having 18. Should I ignore the doctor or MFP? Thanks!!!!

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Ignore MFP.

The doctors knows you.

The website only knows what you might need.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    The fiber recommendation on MFP is based on the general recommendation for everyone, which is just the minimum amount of fiber you should be getting. Getting 35g of fiber each day is good for your gut, your digestion, and overall health. It might be tough to get at first, but I recommend adding more beans, vegetables, fruit, and whole grains to your diet and you should be able to reach this. In general, I get between 35-50g per day (on my healthier days, which are usually weekdays). My diary is open if you want some food suggestions.
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    doctor
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Definitely go with the doctors recommendations.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would try to go somewhere in the middle to start with...and build up slowly because it can cause major intestinal issues.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You should ignore MFP. The majority of people on here (myself included :wink: ) think that MFP sets the fiber and protein way too low. I think that the FDA recommends a minimum of 25 grams of protein a day. Personally, I changed my goals to 40 grams of fiber a day, and try to get as close to that as possible.
  • cjlapier
    cjlapier Posts: 29
    Options
    If you are not getting enough fiber in your day, should you add something like benefiber to make up the difference?
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Every person is different and if everyone could they should always seek doctor's advice. You have that chance so ignore MFP.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    That's a whole lot of fiber. Time for fiber supplements.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    If you are not getting enough fiber in your day, should you add something like benefiber to make up the difference?

My personal opinion and from what I've learned, I think it's better to try and change some things your eating, switching to more whole foods and plant foods, because those foods also have other benefits besides just fiber. However, if you don't want to do that or don't feel like you can, I haven't heard anything negative really about fiber supplements, but I would ask a nutritionist (a regular/primary care doctor would work too, but again, I have my own opinion about those, because they aren't really trained in nutrition, they are trained in medicine).
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    "Current recommendations from the United States National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Medicine, suggest that adults should consume 20–35 grams of dietary fiber per day, but the average American's daily intake of dietary fiber is only 12–18 grams.
    The ADA recommends a minimum of 20–35 g/day for a healthy adult depending on calorie intake (e.g., a 2000 Cal/8400 kJ diet should include 25g of fiber per day). The ADA's recommendation for children is that intake should equal age in years plus 5 g/day (e.g., a 4 year old should consume 9 g/day). "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_fiber#Fiber_recommendations_in_North_America

And, USDA: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/DRI//DRI_Energy/339-421.pdf - States at LEAST 25g per day.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    You don't need Benefiber or fiber supplements to get 35 grams of fiber each day. Just eat plenty of fresh fruit (good fiber choices: berries especially raspberries and blackberries; pears; apples; figs), vegetables (good fiber choices: broccoli; any and all greens; carrots; avocados), beans, nuts, peas, and whole grains. Also, a company called Food for Life has some excellent breakfast choices -- cereal, breads, muffins -- with tons of fiber.

I get all my fiber from food and consistently take in 40-50 grams a day.
  • ksloop00
    ksloop00 Posts: 144
    Options
    Take it from a handicap person, LISTEN TO THE DOCTOR!