Whose bulking right now??

Options
2»

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Just finished a 10-11 month dirty bulk. Went well with very little fat gained.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Are you sure it was a dirty bulk, usually a dirty bulk means eating way over your maintenance to the point that most of your weight gain comes from fat. The only thing that may explain things is if this is your first year of lifting which has the magic newbie gain, you take gear or you think you were dirty bulking, but in reality you were lean bulking.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »

Are you sure it was a dirty bulk, usually a dirty bulk means eating way over your maintenance to the point that most of your weight gain comes from fat. The only thing that may explain things is if this is your first year of lifting which has the magic newbie gain, you take gear or you think you were dirty bulking, but in reality you were lean bulking.

Many people consider a dirty bulk to be when you pay no mind to the amount of the surplus or calories at all, which is the case for me.

I have over 35 years of lifting experience. No gear.

6'3 240lbs probably 16% bf, so no I don't have a ton a fat or lack muscle.
  • fb47
    edited January 2018
    Options

Many people consider a dirty bulk to be when you pay no mind to the amount of the surplus or calories at all, which is the case for me.

“Dirty bulking” refers to creating a larger, more “flexible” calorie surplus in order to build muscle at a faster pace, but with the understanding that greater gains in body fat will also result. Since you say that you didn't pay attention on the surplus, you basically don't really know if you lean bulked or not. A real dirty bulk would've given you an excess amount of fat which you claim you didn't get much of. In reality, you were probably lean bulking without being aware of it.

EDIT: By the way, not hating on you, I am just telling you what the real definition of dirty bulking is. Nonetheless, you did a great job.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

If you're paying no mind to your intake but gaining minimal fat, you're still lean bulking.

Anyway, great job on that. I'm being super vigilant and still gaining faster than I'd like.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

How much did you gain total in that time @Chieflrg ?
  • Chieflrg
    edited January 2018
    Options

“Dirty bulking” refers to creating a larger, more “flexible” calorie surplus in order to build muscle at a faster pace, but with the understanding that greater gains in body fat will also result. Since you say that you didn't pay attention on the surplus, you basically don't really know if you lean bulked or not. A real dirty bulk would've given you an excess amount of fat which you claim you didn't get much of. In reality, you were probably lean bulking without being aware of it.

EDIT: By the way, not hating on you, I am just telling you what the real definition of dirty bulking is. Nonetheless, you did a great job.

I understand there are different definitions and none are definitive as nobody had ever agreed. A dirty bulk can be 750 calorie surplus every day or even a 3000 or a non specific amount. There is not a set definition everyone follows. My case it was a non specific amount. Why I do agree a dirty bulk can yield high fat gains, I don't agree it's a absolute.

In my case I probably ate anywhere between 5-12k a day. When I started my TDEE was around 4200-4500. Just because I didn't end up excessively fat in the end, does not mean I didn't have higher body noticeably fat some months compared to others. As well as I know there were many weeks where I caught double headers in the blistering heat so I ended up in a deficit. My point is I didn't intend to limit my calories or my goal wasn't a small surplus at any point other than a couple weeks before one of my powerlifting meets.

Great thing about being a athlete is I burn a ton of calories because of my activity level. So to say I was "lean bulking" is incorrect, I didn't log calories or try to stay within small surplus. I simply ate what I wanted, more some months than others.

Lean bulking by the definition I follow is when one stays within a calorie goal of a small surplus nearly every day. I never did this purposely or cared to. So I averaged a acceptable amount of fat gain in the end. I'm pretty good at not sweating it because the only time I have ever had a decent amount of fat, it was by doctors orders and didn't last more than a year.

Just because a typical result fits your definition or mine doesn't mean either one is "real" or "fake". It just means we have different definitions.

• Chieflrg
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I belief it was a tad under 25 lbs Stef.
  • packapunch1
    packapunch1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I don’t have time to eat so much I try to add more things as in butter, peanut butter, avocado, honey, oil, protein powder, with my meals it all accumulates nicely with me
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I guess I've been bulking since October. I've gained about 5lbs. I am fine with my weight as it is, but hubby would like to see me gain about 4 more. I just need to get in the work. Slow progress is better than no progress...
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

25lbs in 11 months is fairly conservative and by no definition a dirty bulk (unless it was 99% fat).
  • fb47
    edited January 2018
    Options

I understand there are different definitions and none are definitive as nobody had ever agreed. A dirty bulk can be 750 calorie surplus every day or even a 3000 or a non specific amount. There is not a set definition everyone follows. My case it was a non specific amount. Why I do agree a dirty bulk can yield high fat gains, I don't agree it's a absolute.

In my case I probably ate anywhere between 5-12k a day. When I started my TDEE was around 4200-4500. Just because I didn't end up excessively fat in the end, does not mean I didn't have higher body noticeably fat some months compared to others. As well as I know there were many weeks where I caught double headers in the blistering heat so I ended up in a deficit. My point is I didn't intend to limit my calories or my goal wasn't a small surplus at any point other than a couple weeks before one of my powerlifting meets.

Great thing about being a athlete is I burn a ton of calories because of my activity level. So to say I was "lean bulking" is incorrect, I didn't log calories or try to stay within small surplus. I simply ate what I wanted, more some months than others.

Lean bulking by the definition I follow is when one stays within a calorie goal of a small surplus nearly every day. I never did this purposely or cared to. So I averaged a acceptable amount of fat gain in the end. I'm pretty good at not sweating it because the only time I have ever had a decent amount of fat, it was by doctors orders and didn't last more than a year.

Just because a typical result fits your definition or mine doesn't mean either one is "real" or "fake". It just means we have different definitions.

I don't agree, but let's agree to disagree and end it at that. There's no point arguing over the definition.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

25lbs in 11 months is fairly conservative and by no definition a dirty bulk (unless it was 99% fat).

... fairly conservative for a novice. I'm not sure 25# in a year is very conservative for an experienced natural lifter with years of training under their belt like the Chief.