Help - Short of iron and calcium

Options
I’ve been tracking since 1st January for weight loss. Keeping calories under control , and protein, carbs and fat percentages about right.
However I am consistently low on iron and calcium. As a 60 year old female these are important to me.
I eat a bit of everything- meat, veg, lots of fruit , bread. By most standards a pretty healthy mix. So any ideas to up the iron ? And calcium ? Without too many extra calories !!!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The vitamin and mineral values in MFP are notoriously unreliable. They entries are vastly user-added and, either through the micronutrient value not being available on the label, or through the user not bothering to put them in, often they are left out.

Have a look at some entries in your diary that show a zero value for the nutrients you're worried about, then Google the nutrient content of those foods. You're guaranteed to find you're getting a lot more than your diary reflects.
  • puzzledstill
    puzzledstill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you and I think you are right.
    I started looking at iron as my hair is getting very fine (Think that happens at my age unfortunately). A friend advised that lack of iron can affect hair. I’m reluctant to take tablets. I’m going to look at a reliable way to see how much iron is in my diet.
  • puzzledstill
    puzzledstill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    Are you tracking iron and calcium on here or elsewhere? I ask because most foods in the database don't include iron and calcium so you're probably eating more than is tracked on here.

Thank you and I think you are right. As I’m not tracking elsewhere.
    I started looking at iron as my hair is getting very fine (Think that happens at my age unfortunately). A friend advised that lack of iron can affect hair. I’m reluctant to take tablets. I’m going to look at a reliable way to see how much iron is in my diet. (Still finding out how MFP works).
  • anyWendy
    anyWendy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Fortified cereals are what usually put me over on iron. Only way I can justify rice crispies as... well, maybe not "healthy", but at least moving me toward one of my goals.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Great sources of iron are
    liver
    meat
    beans
    nuts
    dried fruit – such as dried apricots
    wholegrains – such as brown rice
    fortified breakfast cereals
    soybean flour
    most dark-green leafy vegetables – such as watercress and curly kale

Calcium and Caffeine can effect the absorption of iron too.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,626 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I note that the iron RDA for post menopausal women is not the same as for pre and that mfp's 100% value appears to be based on the second.

18 vs 8, i.e. 50% of MFP value would be >100% of what is needed

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/

• pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    There's an iron fish you can buy, you boilit with a little vinegar or lemon juice, then use the water ro cook your rice or veggies, theraby doing your own fortification. If you are low after checking, just bear in mind that you don't want to be going for iron to close to calcium
  • speedingticket
    speedingticket Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you believe you are low in either, speak to your doctor and have some tests run. They can advise you as to whether you require supplementation (and what dose), are fine, or maybe a little low and just need to tighten your diet up a little. Good nutrient timing and being conscientious with your diet can bring lowish levels back up within the normal range, but lower levels may require prescription strength supplementation. Calcium and vit D are commonly prescribed to post-menopausal women. Iron less so, as your needs are less. I suffer from low iron due to prolonged periods (6 weeks, party on!). I previously had to take tablets, but am now able to use a supplement with fewer side effects. You don't want to take too much iron, as it can effect your liver. Equally you don't want too much calcium as it can cause hypercalcemia. You aren't going to overdose through your diet, but may do if you take an inappropriate supplement (like the ones which are normally given on prescription, but which are technically purchasable without out, at least in the UK). If you're trying to increase you intake of both iron and calcium, then avoid foods rich in either at the same time. Calcium inhibits the absorption of iron. Also avoid caffeine, as tannins also inhibit iron absorption.