Ketogenic

I'm thinking of starting a keto diet in the next week or so. Any others on this thing have and success or tips? What do your shopping lists look like, and do you have a meal plan?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Why are you considering this? To lose weight, for health reasons, or just to try something different?
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    I haven't done it but a friend of mine did and I just thought I'd warn you that you might start smelling kind of gross and/or have really gross breath. But for her it was worth it, soooo...
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    edited January 2018
    I do keto and I am pcos and it has been amazing for me. All my cholesterol numbers have gone down in just 6 months. My grocery list is pretty basic. I eat a lot of mushrooms, eggs, salmon, tuna, I also eat fermented foods like kimchi and sauerkraut which really is a good part of Keto that nobody ever seems to mention, they focus so much on the fat portion of it. I consider myself cured of chronic IBS-D just from eating this way for 6 months, it's been amazing. I still track all my calories etc and do my macros. I do IF as well 16/8 every day and work out fasted. My body changes are significant. I have stopped focusing on the scale and the "weight" because I work out a lot so I'm more focused on my body changes, with tape measure and my clothes. The scale just frustrates me. I have always done low carb, but keto has changed my stomach issues and inflammation greatly and the first time in my adult lifehood that my cholesterol is finally almost normal.

Just to add, I know you asked about meal plans. I followed a meal plan from Maria Emmerich's cookbook, and I pretty much eat them even now after the first 30 days, she's got amazing recipes so I always go back to it, for ideas. But pinterest is your friend if you are looking for meals. I would recommend not getting caught up with cheese at every turn like some people do. I limit my cheese, because dairy does seem to be a hindrance for me. Some people eat cheese until it's coming out of their ears.

Its not for everyone but I haven't felt this good in a long time.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    I haven't done it but a friend of mine did and I just thought I'd warn you that you might start smelling kind of gross and/or have really gross breath. But for her it was worth it, soooo...

HAHA Yes the dragon breath is off putting, typically if she takes chlorophyll it goes away.
  • angeladrosinis
    angeladrosinis Posts: 1 Member
    I'm thinking of starting a keto diet in the next week or so. Any others on this thing have and success or tips? What do your shopping lists look like, and do you have a meal plan?

Hi, yes. Today is my day 14. I am very energetic and so far I have lost 6 pounds. My husband has lost 8pounds. I have been using the ketone urine test and the blood test to make sure I am on ketosis. I feel more alert and really have no complains so far.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    I did keto for about 4 months last year and was completely miserable. Just putting this out there for another point of view as there seem to be several keto success stories and not really any posts from people who tried it and it didn't work for them.

I didn't do it for health reasons like some of the posters above, I did it just to try it as I tend to be a carb binger. I was very strict about it, but never experienced the energy increase and felt very heavy all the time and occasionally nauseous. After 4 months or so, I knew that keto was not working for me at all and I started working more carbs back into my diet. My energy increased immediately and I stopped feeling heavy all the time. I'm doing much better back on my regular routine of CICO with moderate carbs.

I've got a friend that really thrives on it, so I don't really have negative feelings toward the diet. It just simply didn't work for me. Keto is extremely trendy in the diet world right now, and I think people need to know that it does not work for everyone. That said, because it's so trendy there are tons of recipe books, keto meal plan books and online resources, and lots of meal ideas on Pinterest as well, some of which were very tasty. I still prepare meals and sides here and there that I used to make while doing keto (for example, using cauliflower and nutritional yeast to make a creamy sauce - yum!)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Like others have said it doesn't cause any more weight loss than any other diet, but some find it easier to keep a deficit on it (I'd say that might matter more if you've been struggling to keep a deficit, although I would probably try just cutting carbs some first), and others really enjoy it.

I don't believe it has any health benefits except for some rare conditions (epilepsy) when presumably it would be prescribed by a doctor. That said, I think it is ONE way that can help to control IR or T2D, so might be something to try if it appeals to you (or doesn't sound impossibly hard). You can do keto healthfully or not, IMO.

Good source for information and others doing it: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

What to buy, from my own perspective: lots of non-starchy vegetables, I think these still should be consumed at most meals. Eggs, full fat dairy, meat (I personally found fatty fish a good option). Part of the fun of keto is being able to eat meals/foods that feel indulgent, so what high fat, low carb foods do you like? Buy them. I ate somewhat more cheese, olive oil, and nut butters when doing it (nuts and nut butters are kind of higher carb if you are doing really low carb, though -- I struggled to fit them in sometimes at 60 g total carbs (which was quite a bit lower carb if you focus on net and thus ketogenic)). Other options if you would miss beans are black soy beans, which are so high fiber that net carbs are very low. And, of course, avocados.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    mwillder1 wrote: »
    I struggle with what many people post here on MFP about a calorie being a calorie. Sure, in terms of them all being a unit of energy, but the impact of, say 100 calories of a Krispy Kreme donut isn't the same as 100 calories coming from healthy fats from an avocado or salmon.

The difference between a Krispy Kreme donut and an avocado and salmon isn't a difference between the type of calories (calories don't come in types), but because other things about those foods are different, and no one denies that. If you think people do, you aren't understanding what is being said.

Also 100 cal of avocado = 9.16 g fat, 5.33 g carbs, 1.25 g protein, decent amount of fiber
    100 cal of wild caught salmon = 4.59 g fat, 14.14 f protein, no fiber
    100 cal of KK donut = 6 g fat, 11 g carbs, 1 g protein, 1 g fiber

So the donut has more fat than the fish (and gets more of its calories from fats than from carbs). To suggest this shows the superiority of fat is odd.

I'm pro fat, but fat is not filling for all (more often protein and fiber are -- and the avocado has fiber and the fish protein), and has little to do with nutrition -- there are healthy fats most would probably do better eating more of, IMO, but most people eating the average American diet get plenty of fat.

That said, clearly nutrition matters, and saying "a calorie is a calorie" does not contradict that. I think someone should care about calories and nutrition. And, as noted above, a keto diet can be a nutrient dense one or not, just like every diet.
    Not than many posters would advocate us consuming only donuts, but carbs do impact our physiology in ways that aren't exactly positive.

Disagree. Among other things, you can't generalize about carbs or sources of carbs.

But there's nothing inherently bad about carbs.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    mwillder1 wrote: »
    I've been following a low carb eating lifestyle for 4 months now and it's been great. I do also track all my food religiously in MFP, as others have suggested you do. I've found it to be a fantastic and sustainable way to eat. It's reduced cravings for sugar/carbs--these have traditionally been my downfall--and I find myself eating a lot more salad that I used to. I've had great energy levels as well.

I've lost 22lbs in 16 weeks, with no more vigorous exercise than simply walking for 30 minutes at lunch.

I struggle with what many people post here on MFP about a calorie being a calorie. Sure, in terms of them all being a unit of energy, but the impact of, say 100 calories of a Krispy Kreme donut isn't the same as 100 calories coming from healthy fats from an avocado or salmon. Not than many posters would advocate us consuming only donuts, but carbs do impact our physiology in ways that aren't exactly positive.

What happens after a calorie hits body is really important, and I've found that keto/low carb lifestyle has helped me tremendously.

What about salmon, barley, and broccoli vs. bullet proof coffee and bacon fried in butter? I mean, if we can pick whatever we want within the categories, let's flip it around.

OP, check out the Low Carb group linked in lemurcat's post. If you are satiated by fats, and not by carbs, keto or a less restrictive low carb plan might work for you and there are lots of people in the LC group to help you. Just watch those calories too.