Keto and Calories

Do I need to eat all my allotted calories on the Keto Diet? Some days I am too full. Am I good as long as I keep my macros in line all day?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    It probably isn't a bad thing once in awhile, but it would be beneficial to get enough protein and calories so much that you aren't increasing muscle loss.
  • cammieoh60
    cammieoh60 Posts: 5 Member
    Depends on how many you’re actually eating, and what your goals are. Eating 2000 instead of 2200 here and there generally isn’t a big deal, but if you find yourself dipping under 1200 calories on a semi-regular basis it’s not great. You need nutrients from food, not just the energy.

I’m doing keto as well, and ignore this if it’s old news, but you know your net carb total is supposed to vary based on your intake, right? I did NOT know that at first and was trying to stay under one (low) arbitrary number. I picked lowest-net-carb foods over ones that packed a decent punch of fiber at every turn (I could barely fit in any veggies), and while I felt full (on under 1000 calories as it turned out) I didn’t feel good.

I started tracking, was horrified, then started reading more. :) You want carbohydrates to account for 5-10% of your daily calories. Fiber doesn’t count, so subtract those grams from the total carbs, multiply the result by 4, and compare that number to your total calories for the day. If it’s between 5-10% carry on; if not plan your next meal accordingly. Aim to top 25g of fiber, and eat plenty of fat, and you’ll gain more control over your calories.

Good luck!

• cammieoh60
    cammieoh60 Posts: 5 Member
    Thank You!! I have been getting very little Fiber bc of the carbs. The trick of multiplying the net carbs by 4 is very helpful to me! I was trying to reconcile that veggies are a main part of the keto diet but the carb affect was negative on my macros!
    I knew I should be counting net carbs but was missing the piece to determine macros of net carbs.
    Do I need to meet my protein grams? I’m trying to get into the swing of this. One thing or another seems to get out of whack so I have been focusing on getting the fat macro more than protein
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    cammieoh60 wrote: »
    Thank You!! I have been getting very little Fiber bc of the carbs. The trick of multiplying the net carbs by 4 is very helpful to me! I was trying to reconcile that veggies are a main part of the keto diet but the carb affect was negative on my macros!
    I knew I should be counting net carbs but was missing the piece to determine macros of net carbs.
    Do I need to meet my protein grams? I’m trying to get into the swing of this. One thing or another seems to get out of whack so I have been focusing on getting the fat macro more than protein

Protein supports muscle retention and metabolism.... It is more important than any other macronutrient while losing weight, regardless of half the stuff that is said about keto.
  • iiovelife
    iiovelife Posts: 5 Member
    Try switching to raw spinach for your greens in place of lettuce...high fiber, high vitamins, tastes great in place of lettuce and works great for getting the nutrients and fiber☺