Amy's TV dinners...

Options
Has anyone ever tried the TV dinners sold in the frozen food section of your local grocery store called Amy's Organic? I just love these things - they are delicious and typically have less than 400 calories and no preservatives of any kind. And for what it's worth most of it is organic.

Replies

• murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Love Amy's! I have these several times per week for lunch. I especially love when I can get them on sale - my local Target had them 2/$7 this weekend and I stocked up.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    mtbusse73 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried the TV dinners sold in the frozen food section of your local grocery store called Amy's Organic? I just love these things - they are delicious and typically have less than 400 calories and no preservatives of any kind. And for what it's worth most of it is organic.

I like the taste although I wish there was more vegetables and the sodium tends to give me pause. I also like some sweet earth meals (although they are a bit more hit or miss with me, as opposed to amys which I almost always like).
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I love them so much. I bring them to work for the days that I don't bring left overs. I like several of them, mmmmm. They're the only microwave dinners that I'll eat, literally every other one I've ever tried is garbage. I don't care that they're organic/vegetarian/etc, they're just plain delicious.
  • okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    That brand has been a lifesaver since I started going plant-based. Eventually I am going to be more whole foods plant based but while I am still trying to get used to eating no meat or dairy and less processed foods and fast food...it is a nice starter up going towards an all whole foods diet.

My favorites are her tofu scramble and enchilada ones.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Love all of the meals I've had. My favorite snack - the pizza bits. Pop them in the oven - so good.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    The Amy's selection at Walmart keeps getting bigger and bigger. Love the low sodium enchiladas and samosa wraps and tamale pies.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I will have to keep my eyes open for these.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Tasty, but usually too many calories for the amount of protein, for my goals. They use up most of a meal's calories when I'm in a calorie deficit, but I need at least 25g (vegetarian) protein per meal. Also, they're they're not as grain/pasta and fat-heavy as some brands, but still leave me feeling like I need to supplement veggies as well as protein.

Since others' calorie & nutrition goals differ, opinions will differ.
  • mtbusse73
    mtbusse73 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    murp4069 wrote: »
    Love Amy's! I have these several times per week for lunch. I especially love when I can get them on sale - my local Target had them 2/$7 this weekend and I stocked up.

I sent Amy's an email to tell them about how much I enjoy their meals and they are sending out some coupons. I'll keep my eyes open for Target special.
  • mtbusse73
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    The Amy's selection at Walmart keeps getting bigger and bigger. Love the low sodium enchiladas and samosa wraps and tamale pies.

I ate their poblano enchiladas today. These were really good.... restaurant quality in less than 5 minutes.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    No I really don't... I think they have too many calories... And they're expensive. I actually am quite happy with Lean Cuisine LOL. I can get a ton more protein for fewer calories with a Lean Cuisine and it takes less of my money too LOL. I really don't care about vegetarian or organic so... I'm not a target customer I guess.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I like them..But watch out for the label I noticed the enchiladas were 2 servings in a box..and they are frozen together In one tray..can't cook just one serving.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I live on Amy’s and Trader Joe’s frozen entrees at work or busy evenings. I add a cheese stick and a salad and/or fruit and I’m satisfied

Chile relleno casserole, cheese enchilada meal with corn and beans, tofu scramble, and Mexican casserole are my faves!
  • mtbusse73
    Options
    @ktekc - that's good that they are in one box - I can't eat just ONE anyways :)
    Two makes a good lunch for me...as well as a pear and/or banana
  • mtbusse73
    Options
    @karahm78 - I got one not long ago that had "tofu" in it. I never knew I was a tofu fan. I'm telling you I could eat 3 of these a day. I went to Amys.com and apparently they have a lot more than my local walmart has. I love the Chile Relleno Casserole! If you see some - try the Poblano Enchiladas or the spinach ones - they are awesome. WOW - I sound like a spokesperson for them....lol
    Maybe I can get some kind of discount.
  • melissawill2017
    melissawill2017 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I've never tried them, but I'm definitely going to look for them the next time I'm in Target/Walmart! I have bought frozen dinners in the past (Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, Healthy Choice) to help with weight loss and because of the convenience. However, I am often hungry within a short time of eating them and to be honest, there's not very many that I find appetizing. I'm excited to give these a try because I'd love to have a quick go to on busy or lazy days :)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    mtbusse73 wrote: »

I occasionally get the enchiladas and/or enchilada layer bowl thing. Those are pretty good.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I've never tried them, but I'm definitely going to look for them the next time I'm in Target/Walmart! I have bought frozen dinners in the past (Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, Healthy Choice) to help with weight loss and because of the convenience. However, I am often hungry within a short time of eating them and to be honest, there's not very many that I find appetizing. I'm excited to give these a try because I'd love to have a quick go to on busy or lazy days :)

Most of the diet TV dinners are ridiculously low in calories (unless you are bedridden or something). I always used to joke in the TV dinner section that if I was sedentary enough for 200-something calories to be a meal, I'd have the time to cook for my own damn self.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

Most of the diet TV dinners are ridiculously low in calories (unless you are bedridden or something). I always used to joke in the TV dinner section that if I was sedentary enough for 200-something calories to be a meal, I'd have the time to cook for my own damn self.

I combine them (Lean Cuisines) with fruit or an extra serving of frozen vegetables. Still cheaper than Amy's and still better protein amount.

I eat them for lunch and sometimes I eat them for supper. For my purposes they are satisfactory enough. And they leave me with enough calories left over to have more snacks in the evening if I wish...and most importantly have a glass or two of wine at night lol.... And I still usually meet most of my macros... Fat, fiber, protein... And I make sure I get enough iron, calcium, vitamin A and vitamin C. I try to keep my meals between 300 and 350 calories. So they work perfect for me.

I really like the Lean Cuisine Comfort Line and the marketplace line I think it's Marketplace maybe it's Market Fresh. Lots of good choices ranging in calorie amounts from 170 to 320. I am usually reaching for the ones that are between 220 and 290 calories with at least 16 grams of protein.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Some of their meals are good, others pretty awful. I prefer the Sweet Earth Artisan Bowls but they're also pricey. Brands like Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice have upped their game, offering more meals with better ingredients no doubt in response to the competition from brands like Amy's. And as others point out, they're cheaper.