Dead end - constant cycle of losing and gaining weight

Options
din4mi
din4mi Posts: 7 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone,
I've been using this app for years now from the beginning of my weight loss journey. I admit that I have done things that have affected me which maybe the cause to what I am feeling now.

Previously I have starved myself to lose weight. Slowly I got an eating disorder and was never satisfied with my body though I was much better than how I am now. But throughout the years I gained some of the weight back and started to eat normally. With my weight gain I constantly worked on it so I wouldn't gain more. However, I would always lose weight in months and gain weight slowly because I would be less strict on myself.

A few months ago was my wedding I lost alot of weight, and reached the same weight I was years ago. I exercised using high intensity jump rope workouts with stomach workouts which helped alot. But, I slowly gained the weight back all the way till now. I guess that's part of getting used to marriage life but I also feel like I have screwed up my stomach and metabolism to the point where even if I put effort in eating healthy and exercising I hardly lose anything.

I do eat healthy as much as I can, but there are some days I am kinda forced to eat out but I do try to get something healthy. I have a gym membership which I use and exercise at least 4 to 5 days a week of HIIT cardio and sometimes strength training, even signed up for exercise classes at the gym. I record everything I eat in this app, drink lots of water and try to eat smaller portions. However, I am sometimes guilty for eating dinner late in the evening because of my husband. However, despite all my efforts, my stomach just bloats hard like to the shape of a basketball for days every time I eat something even if its healthy and small. I just feel like bloating and every thing I do is making me fatter and this is depressing and unmotivating me because I see no results.

I am literally getting depressed, the fact that I have to start from the starting weight I was years ago makes me hate myself more. Its always a constant struggle with no change.

I feel like I am doing all the right things but what am I supposed to do?

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything, even healthy food, will result in weight gain. Tracking what you're eating is going to be what helps you get your weight down. Eating late doesn't impact weight loss. But if you're experiencing bloat it'll help to try and pinpoint what's causing it. Sometimes too much fiber can cause bloat, maybe some foods just aren't agreeing with you. I would start weighing what you're eating and tracking it to see where you are calories wise. Eat to the number MFP gives you, and part of your exercise calories. Food is fuel, your body needs it.
  • din4mi
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have seen doctors about my stomach issues but have been useless. I am taking some medication in regards to fibre though :/
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    What did they say it was? Nothing?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    see a dr for the bloating. I had that issue and started gaining weight in the stomach area. found out I have a uterine fibroid. while the rest of me was not getting bigger my stomach was after being almost flat. so yeah and eating late at night has nothing to do with weight gain. too high of calories(eating over maintenance) usually is. but some health issues can cause weight gain. bloating can be a sign of many things.
  • din4mi
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    What did they say it was? Nothing?

I did tests and a blood test doctor said everything seems to be normal but that was awhile back now.
  • din4mi
    Options
    see a dr for the bloating. I had that issue and started gaining weight in the stomach area. found out I have a uterine fibroid. while the rest of me was not getting bigger my stomach was after being almost flat. so yeah and eating late at night has nothing to do with weight gain. too high of calories(eating over maintenance) usually is. but some health issues can cause weight gain. bloating can be a sign of many things.

Thank you for your reply. How are you feeling now though do you still have this bloating issue?

I will give it a few more weeks, if this still persists and im still bloating I'll go see a doctor again.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    When you lost weight in the past how did you go about it? did you dramatically reduce your calorie intake which wasn't sustainable? thats the likeliest reason for going back to old eating habits.

Sorry about the bloating and glad to hear you have been to see about that, hope it sorts itself soon.
  • mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I had serious bloating where I looked pregnant- I had my gallbladder out and have lost about 20 pounds
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Have you tried calorie counting and weighing your food? I don't see you mention that. How have you used the site for years? What do you use the site to do?
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    din4mi wrote: »

Thank you for your reply. How are you feeling now though do you still have this bloating issue?

I will give it a few more weeks, if this still persists and im still bloating I'll go see a doctor again.

You might want to ask to see a gastroenterologist(stomach/bowel doctor). I had bloating after every meal and we discovered I had adhesions that were causing the problem.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    din4mi wrote: »

yes I still have the bloating. I am waiting to get into seeing a gynecologist that deals more with these types of things(not saying that gynos dont do this) to see what treatment she wants to do. dont know how long that will take but hopefully soon because its causing so many other issues.
  • LynzLovesCheese
    LynzLovesCheese Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I have noticed I have started to gain weight in the lower stomach area... a lot of bloating, nothing really has changed with my diet (I keep track of everything I eat), and I exercise 3-4 times per week regularly, so it seems a little abnormal for me to be seeing the weight gain in that area... Did your gyno diagnose you with the uterine fibroid? I have my yearly coming up on Feb. 7th... just wondering how you found out.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    lynzjacob wrote: »

I have noticed I have started to gain weight in the lower stomach area... a lot of bloating, nothing really has changed with my diet (I keep track of everything I eat), and I exercise 3-4 times per week regularly, so it seems a little abnormal for me to be seeing the weight gain in that area... Did your gyno diagnose you with the uterine fibroid? I have my yearly coming up on Feb. 7th... just wondering how you found out.

I had an internal pelvic ultrasound done a few weeks ago that found the fibroid. my family dr sent me for the test which is why I have to see a gyno.I was bloating and having pain in my ovary area.(not everyone will have pain at first,I didnt). so she wanted me to get an ultrasound since I have problems with cysts too but those usually go away on their own. some days I bloat so bad that I feel full and it is uncomfortable.my diet hadnt changed either I was losing fat everywhere else but my stomach area was getting bigger and I knew I wasnt pregnant so.
  • LynzLovesCheese
    LynzLovesCheese Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    lynzjacob wrote: »

I had an internal pelvic ultrasound done a few weeks ago that found the fibroid. my family dr sent me for the test which is why I have to see a gyno.I was bloating and having pain in my ovary area.(not everyone will have pain at first,I didnt). so she wanted me to get an ultrasound since I have problems with cysts too but those usually go away on their own. some days I bloat so bad that I feel full and it is uncomfortable.my diet hadnt changed either I was losing fat everywhere else but my stomach area was getting bigger and I knew I wasnt pregnant so.

Gotcha. Well I hope you start feeling better, and your gyno can help you out!