Confused about how many calories I really should be eating?

Options
I have seen this term TDEE all over the place... finally googled it to find out what it was (sorry LOL) I just started MFP again after a 5 year absence... I updated my info, and they gave me a target calorie range of 1450 calories per day to try and eat in order to lose 1-2 pounds per week, I believe it is set on 1.5 pounds per week. I just calculated my TDEE which was 2144 calories per day for moderate exercise, but then i checked it again and set it to light exercise which was 1902 calories per day. So that tells me if I eat 1902 - 2144 calories per day depending on my exercise intensity I would maintain my current weight right? So then if I am truly eating 1450 calories per day... I should definitely meet my weight loss goals? Am I understanding this right? First week back on I lost 1.2 pounds, then this second week I gained 2 pounds... so I just want to make sure I am understanding how many calories I am supposed to be eating. It would just be fabulous if I could consistently lose weight each week (even a small amount) so I can be at healthy weight range for my body frame... And before getting back with MFP, I still meal planned, exercised, and tracked my calories.. and just kept fluctuating all over the place with my weight - so that is why I wanted to try this again and just be as accurate as possible.
Any help is much appreciated!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MFP is giving you a calorie goal that puts you at the deficit you would need to generate the weight loss goal you chose. This is reliant on you entering your stats correctly and estimating your activity level accurately.

If your TDEE is 1,902, then 1,450 a day will be a deficit for you.

Two weeks isn't very much time and if you're seeing weight gain some weeks, that's totally normal (things like hydration, exercise, and, if you're a person with a period, the time of month can cause temporary water weight gain).

If you have been tracking calories previously and not seeing the results you wanted, it could be that your logging accuracy is an issue. I can't see your diary, but if you open it up we may be able to help.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Eat 1450. Enter your exercise activities every day into MFP. Eat back the additional calories you earned from doing that exercise. Some people eat back only 50% to 70% of those calories. You will still maintain a deficit.

I found the TDEE calculations confusing and unnecessary. MFP does the work for you. I met my goal weight doing this. Good luck!
  • LynzLovesCheese
    LynzLovesCheese Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Eat 1450. Enter your exercise activities every day into MFP. Eat back the additional calories you earned from doing that exercise. Some people eat back only 50% to 70% of those calories. You will still maintain a deficit.

I found the TDEE calculations confusing and unnecessary. MFP does the work for you. I met my goal weight doing this. Good luck!

My fitbit is synced with MFP, so any exercise I do with that is automatically added to my diary. So then, if i burned an additional 200 calories with my exercise... I should aim to eat that too?
  • LynzLovesCheese
    Options
    MFP is giving you a calorie goal that puts you at the deficit you would need to generate the weight loss goal you chose. This is reliant on you entering your stats correctly and estimating your activity level accurately.

Two weeks isn't very much time and if you're seeing weight gain some weeks, that's totally normal (things like hydration, exercise, and, if you're a person with a period, the time of month can cause temporary water weight gain).

If you have been tracking calories previously and not seeing the results you wanted, it could be that your logging accuracy is an issue. I can't see your diary, but if you open it up we may be able to help.

I am not sure how to open my diary... let me try to fix that....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

My fitbit is synced with MFP, so any exercise I do with that is automatically added to my diary. So then, if i burned an additional 200 calories with my exercise... I should aim to eat that too?

Yes, MFP is set up to give you a calorie goal that doesn't include your exercise. When you get calorie adjustments from a synced device, you should eat at least a portion of those. It means you're moving more than MFP would have expected you to when they set your initial goal.
  • LynzLovesCheese
    Options

I am not sure how to open my diary... let me try to fix that....

Okay, I opened it up.. it's public now.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

The thing that helped me, knowing my TDEE, was to not freak out if I ate over my MFP calories. Using OP's numbers, 1450 daily calories - if I had a bad day and ate 1700 calories, I would freak out and think I had totally failed. However, knowing maintenance is 1900 calories, I realize I'm still in a deficit just a smaller one.

So, yes @LynzLovesCheese, you are correct. TDEE is maintenance calories. It is, however, just a generic equation and your personal TDEE may be a bit higher or lower. You'll have to log accurately and track to see if it's correct or not. Some experimentation and adjustments may be necessary.

But if OP has a FitBit, the FitBit provides an approximation of TDEE - it will tell you your average Total Calories Burned. I find my FitBit estimate of my TDEE to be more accurate than any generic calculator online, and mine has been accurate in helping me lose weight and maintain it - but I agree the real world results (assuming accurate logging) is the best calculator there is.

What does your FitBit say your total calories burned is @LynzLovesCheese ?

• LynzLovesCheese
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

The thing that helped me, knowing my TDEE, was to not freak out if I ate over my MFP calories. Using OP's numbers, 1450 daily calories - if I had a bad day and ate 1700 calories, I would freak out and think I had totally failed. However, knowing maintenance is 1900 calories, I realize I'm still in a deficit just a smaller one.

So, yes @LynzLovesCheese, you are correct. TDEE is maintenance calories. It is, however, just a generic equation and your personal TDEE may be a bit higher or lower. You'll have to log accurately and track to see if it's correct or not. Some experimentation and adjustments may be necessary.

But if OP has a FitBit, the FitBit provides an approximation of TDEE - it will tell you your average Total Calories Burned. I find my FitBit estimate of my TDEE to be more accurate than any generic calculator online, and mine has been accurate in helping me lose weight and maintain it - but I agree the real world results (assuming accurate logging) is the best calculator there is.

Yesterday my fitbit said I burned 2,452 calories (I do not sleep with my fitbit on FYI) yesterday MFP said I burned 363 calories through my fitbit... and I did go over my calories... I ended up eating 1566 calories yesterday... well not 100% sure if every single thing was tracked accurately... but that is what I put in there.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options

Yesterday my fitbit said I burned 2,452 calories (I do not sleep with my fitbit on FYI) yesterday MFP said I burned 363 calories through my fitbit... and I did go over my calories... I ended up eating 1566 calories yesterday... well not 100% sure if every single thing was tracked accurately... but that is what I put in there.

My MFP and My Fitbit are never equal
    I do not sleep with mine on but as soon as I put it on, it says I have burned like 400 calories.
    I have always wondered where that number came from.
    MFP says I have exercises 105 cals today and my fitbit says I have burned 1,212 with only 5,197 steps.
    I do take in account that its probably messuring other movements as well.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Same! I have my MFP set to maintenance partially because mentally it's easier for me to be under the amount MFP recommendds every day. I still aim for the recommended 1700 or so to lose .5 pounds a week. I hate it when the numbers turn red and it can sometimes trigger me to give up if I have 3 or 4 days 'over' in a row.

Sometimes I feel the fitbit calories are overzealous, so I usually try to eat back around half. Not always--I try to listen to my body.

• LynzLovesCheese
    Options
    boehle wrote: »

I do not sleep with mine on but as soon as I put it on, it says I have burned like 400 calories.
    MFP says I have exercises 105 cals today and my fitbit says I have burned 1,212 with only 5,197 steps.

Yeah - I have never understood Fitbit's calorie tracker? if that # was accurate, I would weight like 5 pounds? LOL... but yeah, I will go off MFP exercise calories...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

The 400 calories is your BMR up to that point. You burn calories 24/7.

For the 105 calorie adjustment...MFP reads your total burn from Fitbit and estimates that if you remain that active for the rest of the day you will burn 105 calories above maintenance. This will rise and fall as the day goes on based on how much more or less active you are.
  • LynzLovesCheese
    Options

Yeah - I have never understood Fitbit's calorie tracker? if that # was accurate, I would weight like 5 pounds? LOL... but yeah, I will go off MFP exercise calories...

That is a huge mistake in my opinion. If you don't understand how it works, why would you just disregard it? Why not try to understand how it works and make sure you have your devices set up consistently and optimized to give you the best results?

I just meant, I don't go off of fitbit's calorie tracker... I use it to track my steps accordingly (I have a desk job, so I want to make sure I am not sedentary) I just synced my fitbit last week to MVP to help track my exercise, instead of me going in there manually to add in my exercise.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Your FitBit estimated you burned 2452 calories yesterday. The fact that you got a 363 cal adjustment suggests that MFP thinks that your maintenance calories are around 2089 calories. This is consistent with it giving you a goal of 1450 to lose 1-1.5 lbs/week - the actual numbers are skewed because you don't wear your FitBit while sleeping and potentially with the timing of syncing - but none of that seems unusual or unreasonable to me.

Why wouldn't you trust those numbers and eat close to the 1800 calories that MFP provided you? That's 650 cals deficit from the 2450 that FitBit estimates and right in line with your goal?