Confused about how many calories I really should be eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• LynzLovesCheese
    LynzLovesCheese Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Eat 1450. Enter your exercise activities every day into MFP. Eat back the additional calories you earned from doing that exercise. Some people eat back only 50% to 70% of those calories. You will still maintain a deficit.

I found the TDEE calculations confusing and unnecessary. MFP does the work for you. I met my goal weight doing this. Good luck!

The thing that helped me, knowing my TDEE, was to not freak out if I ate over my MFP calories. Using OP's numbers, 1450 daily calories - if I had a bad day and ate 1700 calories, I would freak out and think I had totally failed. However, knowing maintenance is 1900 calories, I realize I'm still in a deficit just a smaller one.

So, yes @LynzLovesCheese, you are correct. TDEE is maintenance calories. It is, however, just a generic equation and your personal TDEE may be a bit higher or lower. You'll have to log accurately and track to see if it's correct or not. Some experimentation and adjustments may be necessary.

But if OP has a FitBit, the FitBit provides an approximation of TDEE - it will tell you your average Total Calories Burned. I find my FitBit estimate of my TDEE to be more accurate than any generic calculator online, and mine has been accurate in helping me lose weight and maintain it - but I agree the real world results (assuming accurate logging) is the best calculator there is.

What does your FitBit say your total calories burned is @LynzLovesCheese ?

Yesterday my fitbit said I burned 2,452 calories (I do not sleep with my fitbit on FYI) yesterday MFP said I burned 363 calories through my fitbit... and I did go over my calories... I ended up eating 1566 calories yesterday... well not 100% sure if every single thing was tracked accurately... but that is what I put in there.

Your FitBit estimated you burned 2452 calories yesterday. The fact that you got a 363 cal adjustment suggests that MFP thinks that your maintenance calories are around 2089 calories. This is consistent with it giving you a goal of 1450 to lose 1-1.5 lbs/week - the actual numbers are skewed because you don't wear your FitBit while sleeping and potentially with the timing of syncing - but none of that seems unusual or unreasonable to me.

Why wouldn't you trust those numbers and eat close to the 1800 calories that MFP provided you? That's 650 cals deficit from the 2450 that FitBit estimates and right in line with your goal?

I mean that was the reason I posted my original question to begin with... I was confused about how many calories I should aim to eat.... it's not that I don't trust any of these numbers... I just did not know.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Eat 1450. Enter your exercise activities every day into MFP. Eat back the additional calories you earned from doing that exercise. Some people eat back only 50% to 70% of those calories. You will still maintain a deficit.

I found the TDEE calculations confusing and unnecessary. MFP does the work for you. I met my goal weight doing this. Good luck!

The thing that helped me, knowing my TDEE, was to not freak out if I ate over my MFP calories. Using OP's numbers, 1450 daily calories - if I had a bad day and ate 1700 calories, I would freak out and think I had totally failed. However, knowing maintenance is 1900 calories, I realize I'm still in a deficit just a smaller one.

So, yes @LynzLovesCheese, you are correct. TDEE is maintenance calories. It is, however, just a generic equation and your personal TDEE may be a bit higher or lower. You'll have to log accurately and track to see if it's correct or not. Some experimentation and adjustments may be necessary.

But if OP has a FitBit, the FitBit provides an approximation of TDEE - it will tell you your average Total Calories Burned. I find my FitBit estimate of my TDEE to be more accurate than any generic calculator online, and mine has been accurate in helping me lose weight and maintain it - but I agree the real world results (assuming accurate logging) is the best calculator there is.

Yesterday my fitbit said I burned 2,452 calories (I do not sleep with my fitbit on FYI) yesterday MFP said I burned 363 calories through my fitbit... and I did go over my calories... I ended up eating 1566 calories yesterday... well not 100% sure if every single thing was tracked accurately... but that is what I put in there.

Your FitBit estimated you burned 2452 calories yesterday. The fact that you got a 363 cal adjustment suggests that MFP thinks that your maintenance calories are around 2089 calories. This is consistent with it giving you a goal of 1450 to lose 1-1.5 lbs/week - the actual numbers are skewed because you don't wear your FitBit while sleeping and potentially with the timing of syncing - but none of that seems unusual or unreasonable to me.

Why wouldn't you trust those numbers and eat close to the 1800 calories that MFP provided you? That's 650 cals deficit from the 2450 that FitBit estimates and right in line with your goal?

I mean that was the reason I posted my original question to begin with... I was confused about how many calories I should aim to eat.... it's not that I don't trust any of these numbers... I just did not know.

I would say, make it as easy as possible at first and use MFP and Fitbit together the way they're intended to work. Put your stats and goals into MFP, get a calorie goal, and then let the activity adjustments from your Fitbit determine how many calories to add to that goal each day (or how many to subtract, if you have a day that is less active than usual).

Once you're doing that, you can review your actual progress over a few weeks and make any adjustments that you might need to make.

You may find, as some people do, that you need to eat *fewer* of the calories from your activity adjustments. Or you may find, like I and others have, that the MFP goal plus the activity adjustments is actually the perfect number for you.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I would say, make it as easy as possible at first and use MFP and Fitbit together the way they're intended to work. Put your stats and goals into MFP, get a calorie goal, and then let the activity adjustments from your Fitbit determine how many calories to add to that goal each day (or how many to subtract, if you have a day that is less active than usual).

Once you're doing that, you can review your actual progress over a few weeks and make any adjustments that you might need to make.

You may find, as some people do, that you need to eat *fewer* of the calories from your activity adjustments. Or you may find, like I and others have, that the MFP goal plus the activity adjustments is actually the perfect number for you.

Yes - this. Additionally I would focus on improving the accuracy of tracking your food intake - ideally using a food scale.

Also OP - how many steps do you typically take, and what activity level have you chosen on MFP?
    Do you have negative calorie adjustments enabled?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,777 Member
    Options
    And in addition to the great advice above (trust the gadgets and the integration, be as accurate as possible, evaluate your "accuracy" after 6 to 8 weeks and make adjustments), I have to chime in and heartily recommend that instead of weighing once a week (believing that this will give you a true weigh in figure that should reflect your hard work the previous week, you would be better off to start using a trending weight application or web site to record daily weigh ins and start to better appreciate the difference between daily fluctuation and your long term weight trend!

Since you have a fitbit, entering your weigh in data in your fitbit account would allow you to integrate it automatically with trendweight.com, my own favourite! Happy Scale for iphone and Libra for Android provide similar information.

As an aside, with a TDEE of about 2400-2500 from what I believe I saw above, I would suggest a deficit of no more than 500 Cal a day if you would be considered normal weight or overweight, and no more than 650 Cal a day if you have sufficient fat available to lose that you would be more correctly classified as obese (20% and 25% of TDEE respectively).

While these deficits may SOUND low compared to some of the crazy stuff people attempt, they are actually fairly aggressive and more than sufficient to produce results.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    boehle wrote: »

My MFP and My Fitbit are never equal
    I do not sleep with mine on but as soon as I put it on, it says I have burned like 400 calories.
    I have always wondered where that number came from.
    MFP says I have exercises 105 cals today and my fitbit says I have burned 1,212 with only 5,197 steps.
    I do take in account that its probably messuring other movements as well.

The two systems will likely never provide you identical numbers - they work off of different algorithms. That said, they know how to talk to each other and make adjustments factoring in the necessary information from each.

Your FitBit is an activity tracker - it measure all of your activity and your total calories burned, including your BMR, your regular activity (the sum of these two is called NEAT) and then your purposeful exercise - all of those add up to an approximation of your TDEE.

Again, it is helpful to understand how the systems work so that you can trust in the adjustments. The exercise adjustment you see on MFP is a "true up" of what MFP thought you would burn, based on the info you provided during set up which does not include an expectation of exercise, and then what FitBit says you actually burned, which includes any activity above and beyond what MFP was expecting. If you enable negative adjustments, and then have an extra sedentary day (in bed sick all day, or on a long road trip and not getting many steps at all) you may see a downward adjustment of your calories in MFP. Often when I wake up in the morning, I have a negative adjustment because I've been asleep - but as the day goes on my adjustment goes from negative to positive as I build my activity.
  • LynzLovesCheese
    Options

• LynzLovesCheese
    Options
    @janejellyroll @WinoGelato @PAV8888 thank you guys for all the response and helpful advice. Will definitely try the food scale, and pay closer attention to my tracking, and making sure I’m consuming the necessary calories with trial and error these next couple weeks. Just want to do whatever I can to lose this excess weight. I’m looking at at least 15-20 pounds at this point. I’d settle for 10!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options

Hear hear :smile:
  • LynzLovesCheese
    Options

Yes - this. Additionally I would focus on improving the accuracy of tracking your food intake - ideally using a food scale.

Also OP - how many steps do you typically take, and what activity level have you chosen on MFP?

I just enabled the negative calorie adjustment feature on my settings.
    Typically I am taking anywhere from 9, 000 steps - 11, 000 steps during the M-TH work week... Friday - Sunday, I can sometimes average 11,000 - 14,000 steps each day. And I just do not like to sleep with my fitbit on, it kind of bothers me...
  • LynzLovesCheese
    Options

I just enabled the negative calorie adjustment feature on my settings.
    Typically I am taking anywhere from 9, 000 steps - 11, 000 steps during the M-TH work week... Friday - Sunday, I can sometimes average 11,000 - 14,000 steps each day. And I just do not like to sleep with my fitbit on, it kind of bothers me...

And my activity level on MFP is light (I do have a desk job, but I do my best to not sit ALL day), and my exercise goal is 4 days per week for 50 minutes... that is set up through my fitbit... and i do a pretty good job reaching that goal each week.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll @WinoGelato @PAV8888 thank you guys for all the response and helpful advice. Will definitely try the food scale, and pay closer attention to my tracking, and making sure I’m consuming the necessary calories with trial and error these next couple weeks. Just want to do whatever I can to lose this excess weight. I’m looking at at least 15-20 pounds at this point. I’d settle for 10!

Good luck!