Steps not adding to calorie allowance

Hello, could someone please help me? I’ve been signed up for a while but just starting to use mfp properly now (sorry if the answer to my question is obvious!) I’ve put ‘inactive’ in my profile and my steps are showing on my homepage but they’re not resulting in any extra calories allowed. I walk about 30 mins a day at a moderate pace. My husband also has put ‘inactive’ and does about the same amount of walking but he gets extra calories added to his allowance. I also do workouts and add them in, which does result in me being allowed extra calories on the table. But why are the steps not helping- am I just not walking fast/far enough for it to count? Many thanks for any help!

Replies

• TessieSutton
    TessieSutton Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you whoever at mfp magically helped with this- the steps are now adding to the calorie allowance!
  • TessieSutton
    TessieSutton Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you- that’s all really helpful!
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    How many extra calories do you get for 10000 steps in a day?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Height, weight, age, gender.....your MFP settings. There is no one exact number here as @CyberTone pointed out.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member

Personally, the last time my Fitbit logged 10,025 steps, I got 721 Calories as a Fitbit Calorie adjustment. Your mileage (or Calories so to speak) may vary. :smile:
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Thanks CyberTone. .. I have a fitbit but it's not linked up my fitness pal so I was just curious. :) :
  • darrenbradshaw82
    darrenbradshaw82 Posts: 5 Member
    It’s annoying as yesterday I walked 19000 steps and got zero credit for it on this app.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    It’s annoying as yesterday I walked 19000 steps and got zero credit for it on this app.

​​​​If MFP and Fitbit are synced but you are not seeing Fitbit steps, on the MFP mobile app go to Menu > Steps, or on the web version go to APPS > Steps, and make sure Fitbit Tracker is selected as the Step Source.
  • carrieannmontandon
    carrieannmontandon Posts: 1 Member
    Hello, could someone please help me? I’ve been signed up for a while but just starting to use mfp properly now (sorry if the answer to my question is obvious!) I’ve put ‘inactive’ in my profile and my steps are showing on my homepage but they’re not resulting in any extra calories allowed. I walk about 30 mins a day at a moderate pace. My husband also has put ‘inactive’ and does about the same amount of walking but he gets extra calories added to his allowance. I also do workouts and add them in, which does result in me being allowed extra calories on the table. But why are the steps not helping- am I just not walking fast/far enough for it to count? Many thanks for any help!

Hi Tessie, I'm having the same problem...the calories only get added when I do exercise. But I have been out walking, big walks...8, 9 and 10km walks and the calories are deducted if I add any other exercise. Did you find out how to fix the problem?
    Many thanks
    Carrie
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    CyberTone wrote: »
    If I also log individual Exercises to my Exercise Diary, for example 100 Calories for a "workout," the Calories from that logged "workout" will replace the Calories from the step tracker for that time period so that there are not any double counting during that time period.

On most units, it will pull what it sees as the total for the day and subtract off the separately logged stuff (no matter when they occurred). (It adjusts so their total matches MFP's)
  • lucaskinney1287
    lucaskinney1287 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2022
    I am now having this exact problem. My steps were adjusting my calories, and then stopped. Did you figure out how to resolve this issue?
  • mzaldivar903
    mzaldivar903 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm having this issue. I ran 10 miles yesterday and it gave me 0 calories credit for it. I was using this to help me balance my intake with the workout I do. Especially since I'm running all these miles need to know if I have enough to fuel my body. I've rest every and nothing. Even try re syncing my Fitbit as well
  • lugi_amg
    lugi_amg Posts: 1 Member
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    What kind of device are you using to track your steps? How many steps are you walking in half an hour? If you only get about 3000 steps in a day then those are already included in the sedentary setting.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    lugi_amg wrote: »

When these devices are synched, you don't get an adjustment for a specific event like going for a walk. The adjustment you get is based on total activity to reconcile your stated activity level in MFP to your actual activity level per your wearable device. Your MFP setting of inactive is going to already account for some movement...I don't remember exactly, but it's somewhere between 3K-5K steps per day. Most sites I've seen go to "light active" over 5K steps so if you're doing less than that in a day, it's likely you wouldn't get any kind of adjustment because those steps are already accounted for in your calorie target.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    The manually added activities are most likely bringing your MFP-logged exercise total to more than the total seen by the tracker (which are the numbers the adjustment is trying to match), particularly if the type of activity you are logging is one that a step tracker won't register (such as cycling/swimming).
  • ErikaC82
    ErikaC82 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! I am having the same issue. All of a sudden my steps calories are 0. I have check and it seems all the settings are correct. Any help appreciated!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,945 Member
    ErikaC82 wrote: »
    Hi! I am having the same issue. All of a sudden my steps calories are 0. I have check and it seems all the settings are correct. Any help appreciated!

What do you mean your calories are 0?

Your diary is locked, so I can't offer anything more than to submit a help ticket.