Am i in starvation mode?

Hi all. Just looking for guidance on my weight loss journey.

I'm a 30 year old male. I work a desk job. I currently weigh 121kg and am 200cm tall.

My goal weight is 100kg I'm currently going to the gym 5 nights a week. I usually do 25minutes on the bike (12km in 25mm at 30 - 35kmph) I try to maintain a heart rate around 150bpm.

After that I will do some weights for approx 15mins.

I'm currently restricting my calories to 800 - 1200 a day. Drinking lots of water and have 2 or 3 protein shakes a day.

With all this I'm not losing weight. The last 2 weeks I've only lost 200 grams. What am I doing wrong? Is my intake too low?

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Yes your intake is too low and very unhealthy. Do you, your health and your weight loss a favor and increase to a min of 1500.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    starvation mode isn't really a thing.

why are you eating so little? how are you measuring your 800-1200 cals?
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    There's no such thing as starvation mode. Starving people are not overweight.
    If your stats are correct and you're eating 800 calories a day, you're setting yourself up for major health issues. Weight loss will be the least of your troubles.
    Try starting out here and reading some of the threads:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    So are the protein shakes part of your 800-1200 calories? You should input your info into MFP and let it give you your daily calorie goal to get to your goal.

You need to try and set yourself something that you are able to maintain long term which 800-1200 calories i dont think anyone could for a long term.
  • hunanoid1987
    hunanoid1987 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I do appreciate it.

The protein shakes ain't in the quota at this stage. If I ad them my intake would go to 1500 to 1700.

As far as long term. I'm confident that once I get to my goal weight I can keep myself from over eating etc.

I have changed what I have done this week as far as food goes. So Will see how I go at my next weigh in.

As far as measuring my intake. My food doesn't change much as I have a tendency to set my foods and I can happily eat the same week of meals for months without the desire to change it up. I like routine lol. So I have measured my intake 3 weeks ago and I haven't altered that meal plan since.

• dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member

The protein shakes ain't in the quota at this stage. If I ad them my intake would go to 1500 to 1700.

As far as long term. I'm confident that once I get to my goal weight I can keep myself from over eating etc.

I have changed what I have done this week as far as food goes. So Will see how I go at my next weigh in.

As far as measuring my intake. My food doesn't change much as I have a tendency to set my foods and I can happily eat the same week of meals for months without the desire to change it up. I like routine lol. So I have measured my intake 3 weeks ago and I haven't altered that meal plan since.

It's good if you're eating the same things day to day so there's less margin for error but are you weighing each item you consume?
    Weighing your food on a scale helps with accuracy in logging the correct intake.
    It's also important to make sure you select the correct entry in the MFP database as all of them are created by MFP users so sometimes they're inaccurate. This website is the USDA food database so you can crosscheck the calorie counts here: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member

So you're going to ignore everyone telling you that you are eating way too little and carry on with your VLCD?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    if you aren't weighing your food you have no idea how much you are eating - so if you are estimating 1500-1700 it is probably closer to 2000+. start weighing your food and you will be in for an eye opening!
  • 3bambi3
    if you aren't weighing your food you have no idea how much you are eating - so if you are estimating 1500-1700 it is probably closer to 2000+. start weighing your food and you will be in for an eye opening!

He's currently eating 800-1200 calories.
  • 3bambi3
    edited January 2018
    mitch16 wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »

He's eating 800-1200 calories BEFORE the 2-3 protein shakes per day. And he's not weighing his food. And he's not losing weight so he's probably not eating as little as he thinks he is eating.

I thought that he meant it would be 1500-1700 IF he added the shakes, because he said they aren't in his numbers right now. Well, that's confusing.
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member

So you're going to ignore everyone telling you that you are eating way too little and carry on with your VLCD?

He’s not eating a VLCD - the 800-1200 is not counting the 2-3 protein shakes he’s drinking every day. He states this in the response you quoted.

• 3bambi3

He’s not eating a VLCD - the 800-1200 is not counting the 2-3 protein shakes he’s drinking every day. He states this in the response you quoted.

That wasn't clear to me. Because it doesn't make sense that he wouldn't count his shakes as part of his intake. But perhaps that's the problem.
  • ActionAnnieJXN

Incorrect. The 800-1200 does not include his daily 2-3 protein shakes.
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    OP, I would carefully review each item I’m eating and make sure my calorie counts are accurate. If they are, then give your body time to adjust to your new exercise regimen before making any drastic changes. When I first started back exercising, it slowed down my weight loss for a couple weeks, then my rate of loss increased after my body acclimated to it.
  • ActionAnnieJXN

That wasn't clear to me. Because it doesn't make sense that he wouldn't count his shakes as part of his intake. But perhaps that's the problem.

Good point. OP, you may want to consider this...it’s recommended that we record everything we consume, including protein shakes/meal replacement shakes. I definitely include mine, they are 180 calories a pop.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Starvation mode (for anyone with bodyfat) is a myth. You *think* you are eating 900/day but your body is keeping a more accurate journal for you. Weigh your food and x-ref USDA entries to ensure you're logging correctly. Also it's unnecessary to eat that few calories in your situation; but it's been established that you are not actually eating that few by your failure to lose fat. Get your logging tight!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    xhw9iyxb1g23.jpg