January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom you two look so cute!

@sarahthes I too found the wind chill to be deceptive this morning. Eyelashes froze over pretty good even though it couldn't have been colder than -20 :/

So my HR data is very strange lately. RHR in the low 30's (was 39-40 dead on for the longest time), running a 4'0" kilometre today (I think thats like a 6'30" mile? Don't quote me on that) I didn't bring it up over 159. And of course I have a physical coming up :# . Whatchu getting up to heart...

January 1- 18
    January 2- 20
    January 3- 19
    January 4- Ran but I'm not counting it because slow
    January 5- Off
    January 6- 62
    January 7- 21
    January 8- 18
    January 9- 5
    January 10- 16
    January 11- Off
    January 12- 10
    January 13- 61
    January 14- 20
    January 15- 17
    January 16- 17

304/550

304/6000

2018 Races
    *Gord's Frozen A** 50K, February 19
    *JAJA Trail Marathon, April 1
    *Red Deer Marathon, May 20
    *Lone Wolf Last Man Standing Race, June 17
    *Eddie's Half Marathon, TBA June
    *Run in the Buff 120km TBA August
    *Lost Souls 100 Miler, September

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB that was like a 6:23 mile. Now, im slower than you, vut when i ran my 6:40 mile PR, my average HR was 158 for that mile, but went up to 180. Was the 159 the max or average HR for thst KM? Were you watchibg it as you rsn, or looking at the data after?
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Thanks @JessicaMcB Skip makes me look good.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I had two runs planned this past weekend but skipped my 8 mile Saturday run. My sister is in town and we stayed out late Friday night. I knew Saturday night would be a late one and on Sunday I had to get up early to drive my son to Milwaukee, and drive back. At 7am when the alarm went off, I decided I needed sleep more than I needed miles.

Sunday's run would not be skipped no matter how tired I was. When I drive to MKE I always plan a trail run somewhere along the way. This time I went to the same place I went last year, the Lapham Peak segment of the Ice Age Trail, about a half hour WSW of Milwaukee.

The MN Vikings game had started by the time I got to the trail head. I briefly entertained going to a bar to watch the game and skipping my run, but I had the game taping on the DVR so stuck with the plan. By the time I got changed and gear ready to go, we were up 10-0. Excited about the game I did something I'd never done before. I used my ear buds on a trail run so I could keep listening to the game. I wonder if anyone heard me screaming, cheering, cussing, and finally freaking out in ecstasy at the end? That would have been odd hearing that in the woods if you didn't know what was going on. What a roller coaster of a game! So glad the good guys came out on top.

My hope was 10 miles, the longest run since my ITB rehab started. From nearly the beginning I'd take short walking breaks to hopefully keep my IT band happy. It seemed to work and I got to the next trail head without any pain at all. The run started at 4:20 pm so was mostly in the dark. I kept my headlamp off as long as possible, which was about 7 miles. After that I decided it wasn't worth risking am misstep which would tweak my IT band. Something about running the dark without any artificial light...I just love it.

At 9 miles I finally started noticing my IT band. My walking breaks became more frequent as I tried to keep from getting it too painful. It mostly worked and it wasn't until the final half mile where I quit running altogether.

Final distance was 11 miles. 9 miles would have been about right. I'm VERY happy with my IT band progress but still anxious about whether I can run a 50K next month or not. I'll wait until the last moment to register. I finally get my first PT appointment Saturday, though I've been working my *kitten* on my own rather than wait for the PT to tell me to do it.

Monthly Progress - 44.7 Miles out of 125

SKOL!!!

2018 Races (Registered & Planned)
    01/27/2018 - Securian Winter 10K - St. Paul, MN
    02/24/2018 - Psycho Wyco 50K - Kansas City, KS
    04/14/2018 - Zumbro 50 Mile - Theilman, MN
    05/19/2018 - Superior Trail 50K - Lutsen, MN
    06/23/2018 - Circle of Life Half Marathon - Lake City, MN
    07/04/2018 - Red Wing 4th of July 5K - Red Wing, MN
    09/15/2018 - Outrun Hunger 5K - Savage, MN
    10/13/2017 - Big Woods Run Trail Half Marathon - Nerstrand, MN

@7lenny7

This totally sounds like you had a brilliant day combined with a brilliant run. :heart: Very happy for you.
  • penko47
    penko47 Posts: 236 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    exercise.png

I really need to get some miles in this weekend Saturday should be the day but I should also do a at least 5k tomorrow :)
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • Starflight00
    Starflight00 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    Also was wearing my new Nike Vomero 13s that arrived yesterday. They have to be the ugliest running shoes - all grey. That was the only color that was made in Women's Wide. :neutral: They felt good and am hoping they will work for the HM. First pair of non-Brooks I've had in quite a while. I said on Strava that I think the Nike designers were all on strike the day they designed these. Let's just make them grey!

I think I prefer grey to any shade of pink they usually use for women's running shoes (gear, in general)... Maybe it's different where you are, here it's just pink and purple. Or black...

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 I like the grey.

Although, not sure how they'd look after all the brown sticky mud round here........
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I dunno, guys... we had four inches of snow yesterday and it was cold, so instead of scheduled gym day I left my car buried and did a plyo routine at home. I needed the plyo anyway, I jump like elephants jump. Today is supposed to be a 4 mi easy run and it's presently 6 degrees F which is just too darned cold for this Southern girl. I'm thinking I may make up the gym day instead of running, since the roads are semi-clear, and run tomorrow when it's supposed to get up to 38.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Treadmil 5.6 at a good pace. Gave myself a week off battling a cold but it seems I feel better the days I run. Dealing with a small ant issue. They seemed to be attracted to my workout clothes, any suggestions?

exercise.png

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    Also was wearing my new Nike Vomero 13s that arrived yesterday. They have to be the ugliest running shoes - all grey. That was the only color that was made in Women's Wide. :neutral: They felt good and am hoping they will work for the HM. First pair of non-Brooks I've had in quite a while. I said on Strava that I think the Nike designers were all on strike the day they designed these. Let's just make them grey!

I think I prefer grey to any shade of pink they usually use for women's running shoes (gear, in general)... Maybe it's different where you are, here it's just pink and purple. Or black...

I have to agree. I prefer gray or black for shoes. I HATE all the bright colors (except of course the tie dye ones I bought). Maybe I should say I hate all the neon??
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @ddmom0811 nice new shoes