Any bariatric sisters and brothers out there?

Options
Been doing fitness pal off and on for awhile but haven't participated in the community. I'm Lynn, I'm 66 yo and I had a Roux en Y Gastric Bypass on October 17th, 2017. I became significantly overweight and worked myself up to morbidly obese after I quit smoking. I was a stress smoker and I became a stress eater. I have lost 92 lbs since I began my bariatric surgery journey in April of 2017. I'm so grateful for this journey, it is saving my life! I have yo-yo dieted for so many years and my surgery has finally ended that cycle.

Replies

• StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all your hard work!
  • pandygirl12
    pandygirl12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy on December 18th. I've lost 27 lbs, starting with the pre-op liquid diet. I'm very happy with my progress so far.
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I had vertical sleeve gastrectomy 1 week ago, and am down 20 lbs since Christmas. 9 lbs since surgery!
  • boqgitmo
    boqgitmo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats, you losers, lol! I've decided if I do not succeed in this new diet/way of eating (keto, which is low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet), that it may be time for me to get the gastric sleeve procedure. I've lost as much as 70 pounds before, only to have it come back, plus more.
    I'm 53 years old, currently weigh 238 pounds at 5'7" tall, and my bmi is over 38. Several health conditions make it very hard to exercise, so the weight has just kept growing. I hope by losing weight, that most of those issues will be relieved, maybe even eliminated?
    If anyone else is eating keto, I'd love to hear from you. In two days, I've dropped nearly 6 pounds. Which is crazy!
    Today is my first day using this app. Please add me, all.
    I'm looking forward to hearing about your bariatric journeys.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    boqgitmo wrote: »
    Congrats, you losers, lol! I've decided if I do not succeed in this new diet/way of eating (keto, which is low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet), that it may be time for me to get the gastric sleeve procedure. I've lost as much as 70 pounds before, only to have it come back, plus more.
    I'm 53 years old, currently weigh 238 pounds at 5'7" tall, and my bmi is over 38. Several health conditions make it very hard to exercise, so the weight has just kept growing. I hope by losing weight, that most of those issues will be relieved, maybe even eliminated?
    If anyone else is eating keto, I'd love to hear from you. In two days, I've dropped nearly 6 pounds. Which is crazy!
    Today is my first day using this app. Please add me, all.
    I'm looking forward to hearing about your bariatric journeys.

A lot of bariatric patients end up doing keto after awhile. Low carb is definitely the way to go after surgery. I'm keto as well, but I work out a lot so I don't see as significant of drops on the scale. So I try to make sure to take my measurements
  • BeckyBoo1031
    BeckyBoo1031 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had my gastric bypass on July 24th 2017. I'm down 92 pounds since I began this journey. Whoever said that this was an easy way out obviously never went through the process. The eating is not necessarily the hard part....its the mental game your body and mind plays on you. For example: I KNOW I'm not hungry, but I still think about food constantly. I wonder what I'm going to have for lunch as I'm eating breakfast. Unless you can overcome the mental aspect of food, then the gastric bypass is only a temporary tool that will allow you to lose weight, but it will eventually come right back like any other diet we have all tried and failed at. I struggle daily and have to do a lot of meal planning and preparation to stay on track. I know certain foods that I used to LOVE to eat that I can no longer tolerate or they make me sick. I miss bread, and any type of pork. I know that I can have it but it comes with a price that most days I'm not willing to pay. I think I would still do this all over again. As hard as it is, it has still allowed me to lose much more than I ever would have been able to do on my own. My health has improved (no longer on any type of medication other than my post surgery vitamins) and I'm able to get around much better and do things with my family and friends without feeling embarrassed by my size and limitations of what my body would allow me to do.
  • wagskk2
    wagskk2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had a roux en y bypass November 13, 2017. It definitely has not been easy. I am still having nausea and vomiting occasionally. Would love to have support from others going through this with me!
  • ruthlessflower
    ruthlessflower Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    How’s everyone finding the meal prep?
  • markjoy511
    markjoy511 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My name is Mark. I am 10 Days Post-op Roux N Y. I also began to seek the surgery April 2017. Leading up to my surgery, there were THREE cancellations on the night before, so I went through the two week "liquid only" diet a total of four times. It would have been easy to quit leading up to the procedure, but my determination to be healthy long-term, saw me through the 11 hour surgery. So glad I stuck with it. I could really tell the difference in food tastes even while still in the hospital. The taste of the Broth made me think they plucked a straggler chicken and dragged it 7-times through hot water. I have begun a stage 2 diet regimen. To date I have had no Nausea at all. Reading your testimony inspires me and gives me a closer affinity to others like myself who have struggled silently for so long, but who now, through perseverance and the wonders of modern medicine can for the first time smile outright. Keep up your determination and hard work, enjoying every good fruit that comes from your labor! mw
  • KTRuu
    KTRuu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well, I finally did it! For years I have been entertaining the idea of bariatric surgery to help me control my weight. I have been loosing and (mostly) gaining for the last 30 years. So frustrated with my results and yet so determined. Morbid obesity just wasn't working for me, but that is what I was looking at every time I looked in the mirror. I was slowing down and avoiding things I love to do. At 5 ft 1 1/2 in and 313 lbs I felt like a freak. I ate so organic and fresh and healthful...and yet my emotional eating kept me eating larger portions than my body allowed. I found a friend in my fitness pal and kept track everyday and managed to loose 40 lbs before my surgery. I had the gastric sleeve done two days ago and still drinking clear fluids for several days to come. Yet so excited for the opportunity to loose these pounds once and for all. Can't wait to be able to take a long walk and ride my bike again...life is good.
  • rjfrem
    rjfrem Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello!! I had gastric sleeve on 2/7/18. I have lost nearly 60lbs so far but still have 100+ to lose.
  • KARJNKK18
    KARJNKK18 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi one and all