help

jennlg07
jennlg07 Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
been going to the gym 5 times a week for about an hour ..20min on elliptical/stepper 10 min indoor rowing 10 min leg press 20-30 walking and jogging. i am leaner but the scale hasent moved any tips would be appreciated.jennlg07 is my username on mfp.

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    How are you managing your food intake? You can go to the gym as often as you want, but you won't lose weight unless you are eating less than you are burning.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    You'll lose weight with a calorie deficit. With or without the gym. Make sure you are tracking your food accurately. Recommend a food scale, log honest and accurately. Good luck!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    losing fat but gaining muscle so if you want to lose weight, need to calculate your calorie intake.

This is almost certainly untrue, although it is a very common misconception. It is very difficult for women to gain muscle mass, and almost impossible for anyone to gain muscle while in a calorie deficit. The OP is most likely either impatient, retaining water, or eating at or over maintenance.

ETA: This is a nice summary of how gaining muscle mass actually works. Note that women following a structured progressive lifting program are only likely to gain about a pound a month in muscle and they need to eat at a surplus to do so. https://stronglifts.com/build-muscle/
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    There's a lot of info missing from OP's post that makes it impossible to say, including her age, height and weight, calorie deficit and how she's calculating diary input, and what kind of effort her deliberate exercise is and how she calculates and records that. The only thing to be fairly certain of is there's not really muscle gain with 90% cardio.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    If the gym workouts are a new thing for you, you could also be retaining a bit of water. This is normal.
    How are you measuring your food intake? Do you weigh all solids/measure all liquids?
  • Earthfyre
    Earthfyre Posts: 754 Member
    edited January 2018
    I've worked out my whole life but also ate quite a bit and it's only when I watch my intake, and log it down here that I start dropping weight. However, if gym is something new to you it could also be that you're adding a few pounds of muscle, which weighs more than fat and if maintained will help burn fat. If this is the case if you stay with your diet and create a calorie deficit then you should start seeing a loss. Also I try not to eat back all my allotted calories earned from working out, only 0.25-0.5 but everyone is different. You're profile says that you're 23 and have already lost 15 lbs. Congratulations. The leaner you are the less calories you'll need for your body to function, so you may have to recalculate. If you are close to optimal your body may not want to drop further. Stay with it, you've got this.
  • jennlg07
    jennlg07 Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2018
    no my calorie intake is low and ive been doing meal replacements for breakfast and lunch, that post u saw earlier was old i did the gsp rushfit a few years ago. i eat enough proteins so idk what to do should i start lifting weights ?? i do log into my fitness pal and do the diary log in.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    jennlg07 wrote: »
    no my calorie intake is low and ive been doing meal replacements for breakfast and lunch, that post u saw earlier was old i did the gsp rushfit a few years ago. i eat enough proteins so idk what to do should i start lifting weights ?? i do log into my fitness pal and do the diary log in.

If it's been a week you just need to be more patient
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    b8deotcb6td1.jpg