Apple Cider Vinegar- no real benefits right?

Options
raven56706
raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
edited January 2018 in Food and Nutrition
some people swear by it every morning. 2 tablespoons of ACV and lemon into a glass of water. Some say there are a ton of benefits when it comes to weight loss, removal of bloating and etc. But then i read a ton of articles saying it does nothing.

what do you say?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What benefits are you talking about? For weight loss? If that's the question, then your initial reaction is correct. Weight loss is created by a calorie deficit, not by drinking vinegar.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Your intuition is correct. There are no benefits to drinking acv for weight loss. I do hear, however, that it is wonderful for barbeque.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Am I going to be the first one who gets to say it makes tasty pulled pork?

Edit, *kitten* guess not! :lol:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Depends on what benefits you're talking about...

Raw cider vinegar is probiotic, so it can be beneficial to gut flora. It is also a decent source of some minerals like potassium. I've found that it helps provide relief if I get a charlie horse and to also provide heart burn relief. Studies have shown that when taken before a meal, it helps keep blood glucose levels a bit lower for diabetics...so does a glass of red wine.

It does nothing to aid in weight management...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I follow the evidence. Opinions are a dime a dozen.
  • Fernella13
    Fernella13 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It helped me manage gall bladder pain before my op to remove the darned thing. No weight loss though
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There are tons of threads about this on here on here about ACV that you could find where people state their opinions on it. I personally use it for heartburn and bloating, and it works perfectly for me but that just me and it's not a daily thing it's just when I need it.

I've seen studies, and evidence that goes both ways about its health benefits, not weight loss.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Aw0627 wrote: »
    There are tons of threads about this on here on here about ACV that you could find where people state their opinions on it. I personally use it for heartburn and bloating, and it works perfectly for me but that just me and it's not a daily thing it's just when I need it.

I've seen studies, and evidence that goes both ways about its health benefits, not weight loss.

To anyone reading this - there are different causes for heartburn. For some ACV makes the pain go away......for others it makes the pain 10x worse.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Does nothing for weight loss, but it tastes great on a salad!
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

To anyone reading this - there are different causes for heartburn. For some ACV makes the pain go away......for others it makes the pain 10x worse.

Truth! I tried it once for heartburn and I thought it was going to burn a hole through my chest.
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Yeah, that's why I said for me, even my bother who has heartburn can't use it, not everything isn't for everyone that's why they usually tell you to test it first don't just go crazy drinking it straight from the bottle.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The main thing studies have found is that it seems to slow the absorption of carbs and keeps blood glucose more constant for diabetics - the study recommended more testing. Trying it myself and testing with my meter, my observation is that it seems to work sometimes, but not consistently enough to be worth the trouble, and might just be coincidence.

It makes great salad dressing, works in any dish involving pork, and is also good to perk up risotto type dishes which otherwise might get a little bland.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Just what we needed. One more ACV thread. (where is that eye roll icon.....)