Need help. Please NO RUDE COMMENTS!

2»

Replies

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    1. You can lose weight eating whatever you want as long as calories in < calories out (i.e. you hit the calorie goal MFP gave you). You will probably find that some macro balances (carbs, fat, protein) will help you more than others because of satiation and compliance to calorie goals. There is no one magic balance - some people do great on low carb or keto, while others prefer a more plant-based diet. Making room for occasional treats within your calories will also help you stick to your plan.

2. Any exercise is good. Find what you enjoy. Cardio is great for increasing calorie burn (and therefore calorie allowance!) and conditioning your heart and building endurance. Resistance is important for maintaining as much muscle as possible while you lose weight and to keep your bones strong, especially for women who are at increased risk for osteoporosis. But other than that, it really does come down to what makes you feel best. Some people like walking outside, others prefer the elliptical or treadmill; some like swimming, some like step aerobics. I like lifting free weights, but some people prefer resistance bands or body weight strength training. Have fun with it!!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    alicebhsia wrote: »
    i think it's true you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay within your calorie goals. having fattening junk foods to eat can make that hard though. Denise Austin makes some nice exercise videos on youtube. here's one you might like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52uvwCi03yE don't know your fitness level.

There are tons of videos on youtube. I like bellydancing and zumba (as far as you tube videos) ... you may have to weed through a few bombs before getting to a great one, but it's worth it.

Or, you can go to your local library and browse the dvd section. Fitness dvds are in the non-fiction area; you can ask a librarian to help you find them. That's where I discovered TaeBo (back in the '90s), Jillian Michaels, and other fun workouts. If you don't like one, you just return it, and no money is lost!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    NotShena wrote: »
    ssurvivor wrote: »
    1) You can probably lose weight, but you might be losing more water and muscle than fat. Unfortunately, relying solely on the calories in < calories out approach can potentially lead to other problems.

2) Belly fat represents the fat that has accumulated around the organs so the best way to get rid of it is through diet (basically eat like you're trying to control diabetes and high blood pressure and keep your portions small) and strength training. I get that money is an issue so try to check out budget cooking books from the library. One of my favorites is Jamie Chase's $5 Dinner Cookbook (there's also a breakfast/lunch book). Simply cooking your meals regularly is a huge step in the right direction.

As for workouts, try some of these:
    https://www.womenfitness.net/top10/workout-apple-shaped/

https://www.livestrong.com/article/278597-the-best-exercise-for-an-apple-body-shape/

OP, ignore this.

How does that post have 14 woo's...it's terrible

Woo is not a positive reaction - it means woo as in woo-science/bu11cr@p

Today I learned

I'm such a noob. I thought "woo" meant "woohoo!"
    It used to mean both. Now it just means "broscience". The ways of MFP...
  • ElisaJtsu
    ElisaJtsu Posts: 97 Member
    A calorie deficit will result in weight loss and you'll find that you'll probably start eating a little healthier as you go - I found that half a pizza isn't enough for dinner, yet I can have a huge plate of roasted veg with the same amount (or less) of calories. Regarding exercise, there's loads on youtube! I tend to look for stuff like 'cardio work out for small spaces'. If you're just starting - take it easy! Don't be an idiot (like me) and think you have to eat the lowest possible calorie intake & exercise everyday! You can't sustain the low intake and end up in serious pain (stopping exercise all together for days). Doing a little is still better than doing nothing!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited January 2018

Woo is not a positive reaction - it means woo as in woo-science/bu11cr@p [/quote]

There should be a new thread started for all the newbies on the meaning of WOO :smiley: ^ answers it perfectly :smile:
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member

There should be a new thread started for all the newbies on the meaning of WOO :smiley: ^ answers it perfectly :smile: [/quote]

I've gotten so many woohoo type woos on stuff even since they reset the counters after the change it's unreal.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member

There should be a new thread started for all the newbies on the meaning of WOO :smiley: ^ answers it perfectly :smile:

I've gotten so many woohoo type woos on stuff even since they reset the counters after the change it's unreal. [/quote]

yes me too, its annoying.
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    I also thought woo meant like “wooo you go girl!” Ooops! Haha.

In answer to your question continuing from what everyone else has said, can you lose weight whilst eating whatever you want? Sure. Stick to your calories and yes you will lose weight. Will you be the specimen of optimum health if you’re still eating McDonald’s every day and snacking on chocolate? No. Additionally the junk food tends to be higher calorie and fat, so you may find you’ll be hungry as the amount of food you can eat is much lower than if you were to eat a huge plate of broccoli, spinach and mushrooms for example. I love to eat, and I love big portions to make me feel full, so I try to bulk out my meals with as many veggies as I can... also...... fibre.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    1) You can probably lose weight, but you might be losing more water and muscle than fat. Unfortunately, relying solely on the calories in < calories out approach can potentially lead to other problems.

2) Belly fat represents the fat that has accumulated around the organs so the best way to get rid of it is through diet (basically eat like you're trying to control diabetes and high blood pressure and keep your portions small) and strength training. I get that money is an issue so try to check out budget cooking books from the library. One of my favorites is Jamie Chase's $5 Dinner Cookbook (there's also a breakfast/lunch book). Simply cooking your meals regularly is a huge step in the right direction.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/278597-the-best-exercise-for-an-apple-body-shape/

Yes you can lose weight if you eat like you have diabetes. But the diabetes "diet" (I hesitate to call it a "diet") is low in carbs. Low carbs will help you lose weight but it will also drastically decrease your daily energy. If you're working out, you really don't want to reduce your carbs too low or you will be exhausted during the day. I eat a lot of carbs because I lift weights 6 days a week and I'm still losing weight.

You also cannot spot reduce so your belly fat will come off when its good and ready. For some people its the first place they lose, for others its the last.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Sharon_C wrote: »

Yes you can lose weight if you eat like you have diabetes. But the diabetes "diet" (I hesitate to call it a "diet") is low in carbs. Low carbs will help you lose weight but it will also drastically decrease your daily energy. If you're working out, you really don't want to reduce your carbs too low or you will be exhausted during the day. I eat a lot of carbs because I lift weights 6 days a week and I'm still losing weight.

You also cannot spot reduce so your belly fat will come off when its good and ready. For some people its the first place they lose, for others its the last.

Low carb/high carbs doesn't matter for weight loss, what matters is calories. Carb intake is personal preference.

You initially drop a lot of water weight switching to low carb, but fat loss is pretty much the same whatever your macro split.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Sharon_C wrote: »

Low carb/high carbs doesn't matter for weight loss, what matters is calories. Carb intake is personal preference.

You initially drop a lot of water weight switching to low carb, but fat loss is pretty much the same whatever your macro split.

Exactly what I was trying to say but didn't say very well :-) I just meant that carbs do contribute to your energy level.