Meal Replacement?

Options
My personal trainer is recommending a meal replacement, not sure if she is just trying to sell me what the gym is selling or if it is a legit good idea. Thoughts?

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I would never buy a meal replacement from a person. If someONE is profiting, it is in their best interest that they make me think I need it. I bought muscle milk once from costco to try it out as a good source of protein. It was meh and I didn't like the heaviness of it. I bought soylent to try out/use in a pinch when I have a hectic weekend of events/competitions. It's okay.
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You guys are saying what I was kind of thinking. My husband is really wanting to follow what the trainer is saying so we are going to end up buying it anyway.
    I think what I am going to do is eat it for my breakfasts. Breakfast isn't really a meal I am used to eating so it's been tough for me. Maybe this way I can get the well rounded breakfast on the go. Then when I am ready I can start eating a real breakfast.
    The meal replacements are offered by my gym, they are part of the nutrition program they have available for sale on site. They have a line of vitamins and supplements and such.
    Thank you all for your input!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    NAMsMommy wrote: »
    You guys are saying what I was kind of thinking. My husband is really wanting to follow what the trainer is saying so we are going to end up buying it anyway.
    I think what I am going to do is eat it for my breakfasts. Breakfast isn't really a meal I am used to eating so it's been tough for me. Maybe this way I can get the well rounded breakfast on the go. Then when I am ready I can start eating a real breakfast.
    The meal replacements are offered by my gym, they are part of the nutrition program they have available for sale on site. They have a line of vitamins and supplements and such.

You don't have to have a meal first thing in the AM. Many people like to have more calories later in the day, and skip traditional breakfasts.

That said, I do like smoothies in the AM. I make them myself by adding things to protein powder. They have a good mix of carbs, protein, fat, and fiber. My warm weather smoothies have fruits and veggies and are about 400 calories. My cold weather smoothies are coffee, protein powder, chia seeds, and dried coconut and have 215 - 258 calories.

Can you link to something that has the nutritional info for the meal replacement brand your gym is selling?
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    NAMsMommy wrote: »

Just an FYI - there's no reason you NEED to eat (or drink) breakfast if you don't want to. Meal-timing is pretty irrelevant when it comes to losing weight. I personally haven't eaten breakfast regularly in years and I love that it gives me more calories for a large, filling dinner.
    Nor me. :)

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I agree with toxikon. I don't eat breakfast. And I exercise before lunch. It's worked out well for me.
  • deeblues13
    deeblues13 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I dont recommend them i have a few boxes of the stuff sitting around ... but to use them up ill make one if im in a rush in the morning instead of skipping breakfast i cant imagine doing them long term
  • melissawill2017
    melissawill2017 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Meal replacements aren't necessary for weight loss. Most of the time they are marketed as a good alternative to meals but most I've tried and looked at aren't that great for you. They are typically too low in calories to fully replace a meal or they are high in sugar. I think it's ok to eat them on occasion out of convenience, but there is no reason to specifically buy a product that "replaces a meal".. just eat the meal and adjust it to fit your needs.
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use the Herbalife meal replacement shakes. I love them but it is simply for convenience. I’m too rushed in the mornings to make breakfast and so I skip it and then binge on lunch the shake keeps me full for the morning. I will also have the shake after a strenuous workout cause of the protein content. It allows me to plan less meals but you don’t need a replacement to loose weight and it’s not going to get you there any faster if at the end of the day you calories total the same.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    we make our own smoothies. I only have them once in a while during the winter but in the hot summer, I often replace food at lunch with it
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    I use the Herbalife meal replacement too, since my dtr in law uses/sells it & gives it to me for free. I also put them in my yogurt sometime