Protein Powder

Options
I really need to find some protein powder to add to some recipes to help my husband gain weight. We live in Tunisia so what's available here is super limited (and super expensive), so we are looking to have some shipped here. My question is, is it all the same? Is there something we should be looking for to find what's best for him? Most of what we see is "whey protein", is that the same, better or worse than others? Please be nice, I'm really not informed on this stuff and I'm just trying to help him.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is just a supplement for protein - if he isn't getting enough in meals, a supplement may be a good idea, but it's not the most efficient way to add calories for weight gain. Just adding protein isn't going to make him grow muscles.

What is his current protein and calorie intake? What are his stats? Depending on his stats and diet, adding fats may be a better way to increase cals.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    He's about 5'9", 108 lbs and 23 years old. I have no idea what his current intake is but not very much. If I had to guess, I'd say around 1000 calories a day. He totally loses his appetite a lot of times (he's already been checked out several times by a few different doctors), so I'm trying to find a way to get a lot of (healthier) calories into him in a small snack (not just sugar) So I'm looking to make him some bars that are peanut butter, peanuts or other nuts, oats, protein powder, powdered milk, and a few other things. I'm thinking high protein and high fat and we will talk to the pharmacist about vitamins for him too. The goal isn't really building muscle, rather to just at least stop losing weight and hopefully put on a few pounds.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2018
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

Id try to add additional high calorie foods to his plate. There is no reason you need to use protein powder. So cooking in butters, oils, and aim for higher fat foods.

In the ene, any calories are going to be more healthy than being underweight.
  • Malwane
    Malwane Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi

Search for mass gainer since some of them can supply 600 calories per use
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I second the mass gainer suggestion. You could also try a meal replacement drink...not as a meal replacement, just in addition to his regular intake.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It is sad that we have to ask others to be nice when posting an innocent question on here. But you're smart to do that because you never know what you will get when readers reply! Good luck with helping your husband gain weight.

Umm.. im confused. People provided good responses..
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    A mass gainer is alright but could get much of the calories from drinking a bunch of whole milk.

Most of the proteins are pretty close. I would recommend MyProtein if they ship there. It's direct to consumer and their protein is not much better or worse than others. I use Nutrabio as I like the full discloser on the label and any soy can mess with me. Most proteins use soy lecithin and I have to be careful with it. Nutrabio tastes good, mixes well and meets my personal requirements. Problem is it's expensive in comparison to other brands.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend my protein too but to he honest it's not that high in calories - I mix it with full fat milk and nut butters to bump up the calories. I struggle with appetite too and it helps to drink my calories when I don't feel like eating.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    It is sad that we have to ask others to be nice when posting an innocent question on here. But you're smart to do that because you never know what you will get when readers reply! Good luck with helping your husband gain weight.

Umm.. im confused. People provided good responses..

The op asked people to be nice so that's what's being referred to here
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-weight-gainer/10529988.html

1 serving: 365cal, 6.2g fat, 50g carbs, 31.4 g protein
    Whole milk 700ml: 433cal, 23.46g fat, 32.63g carbs, 23.25g protein
    2 tablespoon peanut butter: 190cal, 16g fat, 7g carbs, 7g protein
    100g banana: 95cal, 0 fat, 21carb, 1 protein

Total 1 shake:
    1083 calories
    45g fat
    110.63g carbs
    62.65g protein

This 1 shake would likely be more calories than 1/2 of his current daily intake. I checked and I think MyProtein may ship to Tunisia. If I read it right around 33.99 EUR for 2.5kg.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    No they are not all the same. There are expensive ones that have a low leucine level so the protien is used more as a energy than for muscle synthesis.

A whey protien powder with 3 grams of leucine per serving is a good place to start.