Healthy Chinese Food Options?

Options
Hello everyone!

My partner is treating us to a Chinese takeaway this weekend and I’m wondering what would be a good healthy option/lower fat option to choose?

We usually get a portion of noodles, chips, curry sauce, prawn crackers, beef satay and prawn toast but I always over indulge and feel rubbish afterwards especially if I’ve had a good week.

Can anybody help? :)

Many thanks in advance x

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I usually get Chilli Prawns or Szechuan Prawns. I know the prawns are light (they're not battered) and the rest if veg and sauce. The sauce is full of sugar, but I pull each bit out and let it drip off, so I don't end up eating that much of it but still have the flavour.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Ask if they can make you a stir fry with less oil and sauce, and extra vegetables. Or explain that you want something lighter and ask what they recommend. In my experience, the cook is often delighted to help out.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I always order chicken or shrimp and veggie dishes and request no sauce (no sugar, msg or cornstarch) and a side of steamed (not fried) rice. Very delicious, low calorie and pretty low fat. It's basically stir-fried meat/seafood and veggies. I can add hot sauce if it needs a bit more flavor.

For an appetizer, bbq pork with Chinese hot mustard is a good option.

Steer clear of any "combo" plates and order off the more expanded menu. You'll find healthier options.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of food to order for just the 2 of you, especially since chinese food comes in such large portions. Why don't each of you choose 1 entree and then have 1 appetizer to share. That will be plenty for dinner and you'll still have leftovers too.

For entrees, I'd say broccoli and beef is a good way to go. Or, any other meat dish that has a vegetable mixed in and that is not fried/battered.

For an appetizer, lettuce wraps or a soup is good.

Noodles and fried rice are both very high in calories which is only increased by the amount of butter and oil that is added. Also, anything in a peanut sauce or with nuts (like cashew chicken) will be a lot higher in calories.
  • georgiaeatinghealthier
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses! I think I will go for the beef & broccoli with some boiled rice. Thanks for all your help.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    There isn't much "healthy" take out Chinese food or at least what passes for Chinese food in the US (and, from what I've seen in the US).

If we're talking about Cantonese, the healthiest thing you can order is a whole steamed fish topped w/ginger and scallions. Add some satueed Chinese broccoli or bok choy w/shitaki mushrooms and white rice on the side and you've got a "healthy" meal for 2-4 depending on the size of the fish.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    whether any particular food is "healthy" or not depends on everything else you incorporated into your diet that day/week and your goals. Assuming it's not poison, you can plan ahead to leave room for just about whatever you want.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    There isn't much "healthy" take out Chinese food or at least what passes for Chinese food in the US (and, from what I've seen in the US).

Meant to say "from what I've seen in England" (as well as Europe and Latin America, for that matter) which is often just a greasy and/or sweet saucy mess which was created by Chinese immigrants around the world to appeal to non-Chinese customers.

FWIW, "Real" Chinese food isn't anything like that.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Normally I'll try to save room for what I really want and log the PF Chang's version of it. However, some good lower calorie options I normally fall back on are Shrimp with Lobster Sauce, which isn't too bad, or Wonton Soup. Both are lower calorie options with a lot of flavor still, but remember they're also salt bombs so don't weigh yourself the next day and drink a lot of water!