Pre workout?

Options
What is everyone's favorite pre workout? And why? I have never used it before so trying to find the best one!

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Why do you need a preworkout? Most of them are mostly caffeine or similar stimulants and they are seriously under dosed on the ingredients that might actually prove beneficial like citrulline malate and many of the ingredients have no or only weak evidence as to their effectiveness.

Unless you are doing extremely intense workouts you are just wasting your money IMO, but if you still want one then do some research on the ingredients that are known to work and buy those in bulk and mix your own. You'll save a ton of money and actually have a pre that works the way you want it to with a proper dosage of the right ingredients.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Why do you need a preworkout? Most of them are mostly caffeine or similar stimulants and they are seriously under dosed on the ingredients that might actually prove beneficial like citrulline malate and many of the ingredients have no or only weak evidence as to their effectiveness.

Unless you are doing extremely intense workouts you are just wasting your money IMO, but if you still want one then do some research on the ingredients that are known to work and buy those in bulk and mix your own. You'll save a ton of money and actually have a pre that works the way you want it to with a proper dosage of the right ingredients.

This is where I would start, as well, but if you do want one, I'd recommend going to: https://labdoor.com/rankings/pre-workout to find a quality one.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Pre-Workout, watermelon flavor. I like it because:

1. Tastes good
    2. Mixes well
    3. Creatine
    4. Caffeine
    5. Got a good deal on it

That's basically what I look for. I also realize that I could buy any sort of drink flavoring and just add items 3 and 4 for a lot less money, but I'm a dummy sometimes so I buy this stuff.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    naculp wrote: »
    I'm currently using Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Pre-Workout, watermelon flavor. I like it because:

1. Tastes good
    2. Mixes well
    3. Creatine
    4. Caffeine
    5. Got a good deal on it

That's basically what I look for. I also realize that I could buy any sort of drink flavoring and just add items 3 and 4 for a lot less money, but I'm a dummy sometimes so I buy this stuff.

Not just that, but the recommended dosages for creatine, Beta Alanine, and Citrulline are all in the 5-7g range, none of which are even close in that supp.

See Examine.com/labdoor for reviews and dosing recommendations.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

1. Tastes good
    2. Mixes well
    3. Creatine
    4. Caffeine
    5. Got a good deal on it

Not just that, but the recommended dosages for creatine, Beta Alanine, and Citrulline are all in the 5-7g range, none of which are even close in that supp.

You also need to take Beta Alanine every day to get the effects and it doesn't need to be taken at a specific time. Also, Beta Alanine and Citrulline Malate both cause the tingling effect and some people can have issues with that.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

1. Tastes good
    2. Mixes well
    3. Creatine
    4. Caffeine
    5. Got a good deal on it

You also need to take Beta Alanine every day to get the effects and it doesn't need to be taken at a specific time. Also, Beta Alanine and Citrulline Malate both cause the tingling effect and some people can have issues with that.

This too!... for most of this stuff timing isn't super important. I do like to hit some beta alanine just before I train because that buzzing tingle is sort of motivating.

Personally I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PYN4DM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 for flavor, because it's less than $1 a day and has caffeine. I add Beta alanine and Citrulline and drink with about 24 oz of water as I drive to work.

I follow up with another bottle of water with a different flavor and my creatine. That way I'm not driving on creatine. :) **Woosh** is no fun at 70+mph