Is it more difficult the 2nd time?

Options
If you lost weight and then gained it back, is it harder to lose the weight second time than it was the first time? I understand it can be harder mentally. But is it actually more difficult physically for your body to let go of the weight the second time? Is there any effect on your metabolism or body that would make it more difficult? Or is it exactly the same as the first time but just possibly more difficult mentally?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It can be harder and easier mentally - harder because you're doing it again, but ir can be easier if you've learnt something from previous attempts. Physically, no difference. It's all in your head. (And that doesn't in itself mean it's easier.)
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    It's been much easier for me, both physically and mentally. I think being aware of how the process works, and knowing I will get to goal if I keep at it, helps. I'm back to being within 10 lbs of my goal weight again, and the weight is coming off a little quicker than it did the first time thankfully!
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    For me it was the same. In 2011 I reached goal after losing 50lbs. In 2013, I lost about 15lbs of regain. Then in 2015, I did the same thing. And in 2017, I did the same thing. Each time it came off like expected. Did the same things each time. For me, it's mental. I need to be in a place to lose it. I need to want it. I need to be in a place where I'm not complacent. And that's hard. Physically, it's totally the same.

I'm hoping it's the last time - but I see the pattern. If I regain, I'm gonna live with the extra 15lbs. It's still in healthy range, I just prefer to be thinner. Totally vanity.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    I've really only lost a significant amount of weight twice. I have had probably 10-15 pounds that I have lost and gained throughout my life, but only twice have I actually really put in an effort and really lost. When I was in my 20's I lost ~40 doing low fat. That was in the 90's and low fat was the thing. It did work for me but it was miserable. Then I got pregnant and stopped eating low fat. After my son was born I lost some of the baby weight but not all and then slowly my weight started started creeping up until 2015. This time I lost ~75 pounds just counting calories. It has been much easier for me this time. I eat any foods I want that fit my goal. I am also more active so now that I am in maintenance I actually feel like I eat quite a bit. It was definitely easier for me the second time because the first time my diet was so restrictive. I often felt deprived and unhappy about dieting. This time I just ate what fit my goals and it really worked. The only thing that might have made it a bit harder the second time was that I needed to lose more weight than I needed to lose the first time so it took longer. But mentally it was much easier. Physically it was probably the same.
  • its1230atnight
    its1230atnight Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've lost 100 pounds, gained 100 pounds, lost 20, gained 20, so on and so forth. This is my second time at losing 100. It's frustrating needing to do it again; it took me a while to get to the point I was ready to put in the effort it took to do it all over again. But, I also know, concretely, what I have to look forward to. I know how much it's worth it. Being fat is for the birds. I look ten years younger and the hip bones are on fleek. As far as my body responding to what I'm doing and it being more difficult in a technical capacity? I think it's actually easier this time around. It's like my body is snapping back to what it felt the best doing, and is relieved to be active. Muscle memory, literally.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Last year, I cut down from 260 to 229, 5ish pounds from my goal number.

I slacked off and got up to 243-245. decided to buckle down again, and it's practically effortless because of the lessons learned from last year. Back to 233 as of this morning. going to power through to 220-223, and try being a bit more diligent in maintenance this go.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have had a couple slip ups over the years. Always seem to catch myself at about 20 lbs regained. To me it's always seemed the same difficulty everytime. I've never let myself regain everything that I have lost so maybe that's part of it. I dunno.

I try to learn from my slip ups. My last one I determined me and Trinessa birth control pills don't get along. It messed with my hormones and made me feel hungry all the time (I caved and ate way to much).
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I am having a harder time this go around. I lost 130 pounds in 2009-2010, I have gained 50 back and having such a hard time getting back to eating at a deficit. Luckily I never stopped working out or it could be worse I guess. Finding a happy balance in life is what I am struggling for.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance more or less for going on 5 years. Pretty much every winter I put on about 10 Lbs...I have zero issues dropping my winter weight in the spring.

I lost a total of about 40 Lbs...I would suspect that if I put back that total 40 again, it would be more difficult, but it would be a mental thing more than physiological.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Wasn't for me.

Lost 40# 5 yrs ago but then suffered a back injury lifting, had a couple of surgeries for different medical issues and just myself go back to bad eating habits.

After those things got sorted out 2 yrs ago, I just dropped the bad eating habits and went back to doing the lifting and exercise that helped me lose the weight b4 and lost 40# quickly again.

Been in maintenance for the past year and don't expect to gain back the weight again.
  • okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I don't really take too much to what they say about metabolism as sound because I did a lot of damage to my body in college and still can lose fast if I really put my mind into it. So like others have said it can be both harder and easier mentally because you know what to do, but when you get close to goal and drop the ball and gain it all back it really hits you for a minute mentally. I had between 50-60lbs left after losing 90lbs and it took so long to get there (because I kept mentally psyching myself out and bingeing). It has been hard trying to lose ever since I think more mentally than physically. Once I get my mind back on track, it usually doesn't take my body long to cooperate, but its the mental struggle of knowing how far I came and how far I let myself get back that plays with my progress more than anything.

The hardest part about losing again is knowing that you can get there and you will but waiting to get there is the problem if you don't have much patience which I don't but I am sucking it up and dealing with it head on instead of backpedaling as usual.
  • AmandaEdwards1
    AmandaEdwards1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just feel like when it's right it's right. I dieted for years before my last successful run at losing weight. In 2011, I went from 224 to 147 after many unsuccessful attempts at losing weight. One day...it just clicked and I was able to stick with it and then push myself harder.

Since then, I have managed to gain back about 50 lbs. I have, again, made several unsuccessful attempts at losing the weight but something feels different about this time as well. I know that I am going to keep pushing myself.

It's completely mental. The only person who has control over your eating habits and exercise routine is you.
  • beachme14
    beachme14 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's harder the second time around, but it is taking me longer. That doesn't bother me though because I know the process works. Just need to be patient.
  • Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    There's a cracking video my a bloke named Paul Revelia On YouTube named What's is your diet age? Check it out he goes over about how the number of time you diet can determine your outcome sort of thing. :)