Healthy school lunches

Options
Kellyfitz08
Kellyfitz08 Posts: 1 Member
I'm a student an all I bring is a sandwich
I really want to try and stay away from carbs. Any ideas?

Replies

• BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I don’t stay away from carbs, but one easy to pack lunch is a spinach salad with chicken breast, sunflower seeds for crunch, and I usually add orange slices, apple slices, or dried cranberries, but you can skip those. I have a separate small container with a lazy balsamic vinaigrette (balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, and a little mustard) to drizzle on top just before I eat. Sometimes I add some cheese when I have calories to spare.
  • lcyfrnxo
    lcyfrnxo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm a nursing student. When I'm on placement I take salad, chicken with roasted veg, soup, bolognese stuffed peppers, stir fry (without noodles if staying away from carbs). Do you have access to a microwave? If so, you can take leftovers of whatever you've had the night before. If not, leftovers of anything you don't mind eating cold. I quite enjoy stir fry cold the next day!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Figure out why you want to stay away from carbs. Maybe you don't have to. A sandwich is great, but you could add on - have some fruit, veg and milk or yogurt, too.
  • spazztazztic
    spazztazztic Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My husband makes us mock fried rice using riced califlower or broccoli, chicken (can use protein of choice), baby corn, peppers, onion, and a bit of low sodium soy sauce to finish for flavor. Its super filling and like any other rice recipe super easy to customize. 1 bag of riced veg prepared this way gives us 4 1.5 - 2 cup portions
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Do you have a microwave at school. I'm a teacher so I can use one in the staffroom. In winter I usually bring veg soups or oven-baked veg with me. In summer I mostly bring salads with egg or ham or beans...

I wouldn't really recommend cutting carbs too much. I find that when I have salad and meat and don't add "sweet" veg like peppers to my salad, I get a bit woozy later during the day.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I used to be low carb and I still avoid breads and pastas for the most part because pasta is a trigger food and I would rather have more meat or cheese rather than spend calories on bread.

Assuming you have access to a microwave, I tend to make “fajita bowls” with shredded chicken, salsa, and fajita veggies. I also do salads. Occasionally I’ll do a buffalo chicken dip and use celery to dip. Buffalo chicken stuffed peppers!
    There’s lots!