Spin class dress code

Options
I'm thinking of trying my first spin class. Maybe a dumb question, but what do you wear? Bike shorts, normal gym shorts? Bike shoes, gym shoes? Does it make a difference...

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    The classes at my Y are sartorially low key, not fashion forward. Different people wear different things. I regularly see people wear any of the things you mention.

Tank or short-sleeved tee on top. Some start out with a light warm-up jacket and take it off part way through. (I don't see how they can stand it for even 7 seconds, personally. ;) )

Take a water bottle (that fits a standard bike cage) and a towel (hand towel size, that will drape over handlebars without getting in the way). (Some people don't take a towel. Most do. I do: I sweat, lots. I also wear a sweatband. Most people don't.).

Many people who have bike shoes or bike shorts wear them. Loose-legged gym shorts might not be good, for obvious reasons. Some people wear long pants, most shorts.

I wear yoga pants and a tee shirt, but that might not be the most appropriate choice for you. ;) I also wear regular, but lightweight, athletic shoes. I'm a rower, not a cyclist: Rowing shoes stay bolted to my boat.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Before you take the class, look at the bikes that your gym offers. The bikes at my club have both the option for regular shoes and for bike shoes. So, you can clip in if you choose to, but you can also wear regular sneakers and be comfortable.

As far as clothes, regular gym clothes is great. You can wear bike shorts if you wish and I think you should if your butt usually gets sore from the seats. You don't want to be waddling around from butt bruises. You could always wear bike shorts under regular shorts.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    Bike shorts with padding.
    Bike shoes with cleats.
    Wicking T-shirt.
    Towel.
    Water bottle.

You don't have to wear the bike shorts and shoes, but I'm more comfortable in them.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Bike shorts- yes. I have loads already, but don't buy until you try Spinning and decide if you like it or not.
    (Nothing worn underneath though, that how they are designed to be worn.) In terms of dress code then don't tuck your post session banana in your shorts....

Normal gym shorts - many do, as there's standing cycling intervals you get some saddle relief so soreness isn't such an issue. Not ones that bunch or might get caught on the saddle.

Bike shoes - yes, if you have them, make sure your cleats are compatible. Far better stability for my wonky knees.

Gym shoes - you can do and many do and use the toes cages but you don't want spongy soled ones, firmer the better.

• fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Great advice from everyone. The only advice I can add is to be careful wearing pants vs. shorts, especially pants with a flared leg. I was in spin class once and watched as someone caught her pants leg in the pedal. Unfortunately, she was going at a fast pace and the sudden stop caused her to break her leg! Granted, it was a freak accident but it is something to consider.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Bike shorts if you have them. If you have bike shoes check first to see if they have compatible pedals, running shoes are almost always a safe bet as most will have pedals with the old basket style devices (if you're using running shoes tuck in your laces). Take a towel (or two) to wipe yourself down with & to wipe down the bike when you're done.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Bike shorts with pads :s
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Lance1545 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of trying my first spin class. Maybe a dumb question, but what do you wear? Bike shorts, normal gym shorts? Bike shoes, gym shoes? Does it make a difference...

I've seen all of the above. I'm an avid rider, so I have all of the gear and just wear my cycling gear. I usually wear my mountain biking shorts rather than my road shorts and a casual/club ride jersey. I wear my mountain bike shoes as the clips on my mountain shoes are compatible with the bikes in my class and my road shoe clips aren't.

I'd say go try it first before you start investing in gear, particularly if you're not already a regular outdoor rider.
  • meemanders
    meemanders Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love spin. I wear tight fitting pants (but I’m a woman). Wear something comfortable and cool. Plan to sweat a lot, so take a towel and water. Give it a few tries before passing judgement. Make sure what you are wearing won’t run or chafe as you pedal. Also, many spin classes are in the dark with black lights so there isn’t much time for checking out others “fashion”.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Bike shorts if you have them (for comfort). If you want to be fashion forward, wear your helmet.

Only if it's an aero helmet! Preferably full tail
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    The answer to what to wear is whatever makes you comfortable when you work out. The first class is always a feeling out process, so talk to the instructor before the class, get your bike set up & try to pedal for the full class.

If you wear loose pants I recommend tucking the bottom of the pants into your socks. As people above have said, they can get caught in the pedal or wheel.