Weight lifting and tracking but gaining weight?!?

Options
I recently started heavy lifting and weighing and tracking all my food. Since then I have actually gained weight. I feel like my stomach is flatter and I feel better, but I’m getting discouraged by the scale. I’ve heard it’s normal to gain when you first start lifting. I guess I just need a little reassurance that this is normal.

Replies

• fuzzy_l0gic
    fuzzy_l0gic Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That is what happened with me too. What annoyed me the most was how much my weight would fluctuate day-to-day until I got my nutrition dialed in.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,483 Member
    Options
    Over what time frame?

Are you eating your workout calories?
  • cstrassburg
    cstrassburg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Over what time frame?

Are you eating your workout calories?

It’s not been long at all. Only about a week of consistent tracking and heavy lifting. I eat back about half of my calories. I’m a newbie at lifting so this is completely foreign to me. I’m doing StrongLifts.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    One week isn't enough time to see a trend. Everyone's weight goes up and down, constantly, in response to a ton of factors. Increased or new exercise tends to create temporary water retention, which can show up on the scale. Be patient, keep logging and tracking, and give it another 3-4 weeks.
  • Angelicpretty97
    Angelicpretty97 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    muscle.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,483 Member
    Options
    Ditto AliceDark Stay the course. Don’t get into the habit of making adjustments based on such short term feedback.
  • cstrassburg
    cstrassburg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I’m just going to keep at it and put the scale away for awhile!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    muscle.
    Not in a week. Water weight.

OP, keep to what you’re doing