Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

ISO Big Booty :P Weider Ultimate Body Works: Squats vs Leg Press?

I bought the Weider Ultimate body works about a year ago (its similar to the Total Gym from what I understand). But have moved quite a bit since then and never seem to have a place to set it up until now (yay!). Anyway, I am on the quest to get a nice round booty. Thank God I have a good semi curvy basis with which to start with (just absolutely no tone whatsoever) but I digress....

Aside from donkey kicks, fire hydrants, rear leg extensions/raises (body weight only right now) I am trying to do squats - I say trying because I am one of those that falls backwards. So I’ve started doing the goblet squat (very little weight - using a change jar at the moment as that’s all I’ve got while my house is packed up for the next move!) and so far I am having more success with that but still struggling with proper form/no tailbone tucking. BUT, all that being said, is the leg press a more foolproof way for me to be working my glutes? Should I just scrap the squats for now and do the leg press only? Or am I comparing apples to oranges here?

Replies

• BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    For me hip thrusts have done more for me than squats..I am quad dominant and they take over for most exercises..Strong Curves is a great program to look into!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Listen to Sardelsa! And I would add that deadlifts and back extensions do wonders for perking up the booty.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    CJ_Holmes wrote: »
    Listen to Sardelsa! And I would add that deadlifts and back extensions do wonders for perking up the booty.

Oh I love these, I recently started doing them differently to isolate the glutes more, and wow!
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »

Oh I love these, I recently started doing them differently to isolate the glutes more, and wow!

Yeah, I watched a Bret Contrares video where he shows how to round your lower back a bit to hit the glutes better.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Try doing your goblet squats as box squats to improve your form - it helped teach me the correct hip hinge motion and how it feels. Put a box, ball or chair behind you that just touches your butt when you break parallel, and lower down until your butt touches it. This will force you to reach backwards with your butt instead of just bending your knees.
  • BNY721

Can I ask what you are doing differently with your back extensions? I need to incorporate these..I do Superman but haven’t really done anything else..
  • sardelsa
    BNY721 wrote: »

Can I ask what you are doing differently with your back extensions? I need to incorporate these..I do Superman but haven’t really done anything else..

So in the normal version, hinge is at the back...in the glute focused version, the hinge is at the hips. Use the glutes to pull your body up and thrust the hips into the pad (with a posterior pelvic tilt)..back will round a bit and that's fine, don't hyperextend the back

I hope that made sense.. here is a video that explains it a bit better! https://youtube.com/watch?v=jh45myksaEs Skip to 1:40 to see the different version
  • BNY721
    I will check it out! Thank-you! <3
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Make sure you watch that video before just proceeding. Bret was very clear to keep a neutral spine and not overextend. I did not notice any rounding of the lower back / lumbar spine and again, he was clear that the back should remain neutral throughout. The "rounding" is actually in the thoracic spine area and not the lumbar.
  • BNY721
    I have watched a lot of his videos..so I definitely will be watching it and taking my time ensuring proper form.
  • sardelsa
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »
    Make sure you watch that video before just proceeding. Bret was very clear to keep a neutral spine and not overextend. I did not notice any rounding of the lower back / lumbar spine and again, he was clear that the back should remain neutral throughout. The "rounding" is actually in the thoracic spine area and not the lumbar.

Yea thanks for clarifying. There is rounding a bit in the upper not lower back... But ya definitely watch the video, he has several demos his IG as well.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    also not sure if you are currently trying to gain or lose. but to build up your booty you need to build muscle. which can happen in a surplus or a very small deficit.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    edited January 2018
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »

Yea thanks for clarifying. There is rounding a bit in the upper not lower back... But ya definitely watch the video, he has several demos his IG as well.

No problem, I wasn't trying to be a smart-*kitten* either; I'm sensitive to matters of the lower back. :smile: One comment mentioned rounding of the lower-back and I found it hard that Bret would make such a suggestion in relation to that exercise.
  • southrnchic479
    southrnchic479 Posts: 136 Member
    I don't think I'll be doing back extensions any time soon (I'm too inexperienced just yet, I'd have to work up to it), but I'll definitely keep that in mind later down the line. I won't have access to a gym until 2 weeks from now, and when I do, it will be a limited one - I use my SIL's gym at her complex, which has free weights and one of those pulley machines (not sure what it's called lol). I was hoping somehow I could use the Ultimate Bodyworks machine for some glute action on days we don't meet up for a gym session, but after reading what @JAYxMSxPES shared I'm not so sure the "leg press" is the right fit for me.

Just for clarification, I'm attaching a pic of the machine in action for the "leg press". I suppose it isn't a total waste since I can still use the resistance for arms and back, but the main reason I got this machine was for the leg press feature as I thought it was key to building a booty. weider-ultimate-body-4-1024x562.jpg
  • JAYxMSxPES
    edited January 2018
    I don't think I'll be doing back extensions any time soon (I'm too inexperienced just yet, I'd have to work up to it), but I'll definitely keep that in mind later down the line. I won't have access to a gym until 2 weeks from now, and when I do, it will be a limited one - I use my SIL's gym at her complex, which has free weights and one of those pulley machines (not sure what it's called lol). I was hoping somehow I could use the Ultimate Bodyworks machine for some glute action on days we don't meet up for a gym session, but after reading what @JAYxMSxPES shared I'm not so sure the "leg press" is the right fit for me.

Just for clarification, I'm attaching a pic of the machine in action for the "leg press". I suppose it isn't a total waste since I can still use the resistance for arms and back, but the main reason I got this machine was for the leg press feature as I thought it was key to building a booty. weider-ultimate-body-4-1024x562.jpg

Well, that's not what I expected when you mentioned leg press. I assumed a more general leg press device but that looks like you can achieve a full range of motion of hip flexion and hip extension. It actually looks more like a hack-squat machine. If that's all you have to work with then use it.

With DB's you can do things like goblet squats, bulgarian split squats, step-ups, and lunges. With the lunges just make sure to get a full range of motion. Meaning when you're "lunged down" your back knee should touch the floor and your forward leg is basically at a 90-degree angle. This provides a good range of flexion and extension. Personally I feel like walking lunges with that range of motion have always been rough on the glutes. Similarly if you do step-ups, use a step / box where your forward leg is at a 90-degree angle (roughly).

Another thing you can do is go a little heavier with your lunge / step-up, for instance, and do those for a couple sets of 6-10 reps since they're unilateral, and then hop on your machine and immediately do a set of 12-20 reps.